Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 02:51 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,463,330 times

Advertisements

In short, my entire Microsoft Windows suite has disappeared from my laptop (it's my main computer). I believe the cause to be something I did.

I had a problem with an install of the latest version of Apple iTunes (updating my library) - kept getting an install error. Got their Tech Support on the phone and apparently it was a Windows based problem. I was told to go to "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility". We ran that program and I resolved my iTunes problem - but now I have no Microsoft applications! How does THAT happen and how do I get it back (just as an FYI - all my files are still there on my MY COMPUTER page).
Can anyone help me get this back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 03:34 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,193,679 times
I will guess that somehow you selected some of those Microsoft applications for "cleanup."

I would use the System Restore feature to restore you system to a point in time before you used the cleanup utility.

If you are running Windows 7 just type "system restore" in the search field.

If you are running XP, I think system restore is available via the start menu and administration tools.

When you get to it - just choose a restore point immediately prior to using the cleanup utility. iTunes may be screwed up. But then you can go back to fixing it.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:50 PM

I know this is going to sound like a question from a 1st grader, but where do I find this feature? I believe I am running Windows XP since at the bottom of my screen it is the Windows icon and the word Start. I am not seeing a selection for Administration Tools ... ?

Old 07-13-2010, 03:59 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,711,246 times
First of all, when you say "disappeared", do you mean the icons on the desktop, or the actual applications in the Programs folder?

Old 07-13-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
First of all, when you say "disappeared", do you mean the icons on the desktop, or the actual applications in the Programs folder?
Both. Using some JellyBean program, I've been able to find my information. Is it OK to post it here? I didn't even know there was a sticker at the bottom of my laptop with the Windows Proof of Ownership. I can definitely confirm it is Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3, installed from OEM Media. Does any of that help?

Old 07-13-2010, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,150 times
Start
all programmes
accessories
system tools
system restore

Old 07-13-2010, 04:33 PM

Thank you so much, Clynewolves. I did as you suggested above and POOF the computer was shutting down. I placed the restore date to this past Sunday (since Monday was the call with Apple iTunes). When I came back on, I no longer have the ability to get into iTunes again (as was happening on Sunday since there is a problem in the msi. folder??

I'm OK to live with this for now - but when I launched Word, I am ALSO getting a set-up error: The setup controller has encountered a problem during install. Please review the log files for further information on the error.

I have no idea what a log file is - but it looks like although iTunes and the Windows suite is appearing back as a choice on my computer - none of them are able to install which means I have use of none of them. Sob!

Any other suggestions?

Old 07-13-2010, 05:21 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,750,317 times
Why don't you fix the iTunes setup then reinstall Office - don't you have the original install disks?

Old 07-13-2010, 05:21 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,010,651 times
Reinstall Office with the original media, your XP product key won't help as it has nothing to do with the Office application. If you don't have the Office CD you can try starting the uninstall process of Office in add/remove programs, it should give you an option to repair the installation, you still might need the CD though.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Why don't you fix the iTunes setup then reinstall Office - don't you have the original install disks?
Nope - they would be at the office where I use to work. I didn't think to take them at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers