Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 08:04 AM

563 posts, read 1,499,078 times

Advertisements

So a year or two ago we got an Ipod from a friend and we've been listening to his music on it. I finally got around to getting my music and my husbands music organized enough to put on it last night.

I connected the Ipod and of course had to OK the removal of all the music on it seeing as it was from a different computer. So I hit Sync and it was all good.
Well this morning I decided that I wanted to restore the ipod so I could rename it, and itunes also updated it. But now when I hit sync it flashes on the display of my computer that it's starting to sync but then stops and nothing happens. I unchecked "Manually manage" and then hit the "apply" button at the bottom and it just finished syncing.
Why won't it let me manage it manually and how do I fix it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 08:43 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Is your software up to date? Outdated Itunes will not sync properly. Spyware on your PC can also cause sync problems.

The reason I dont buy apple products is because Itunes always has problems.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:12 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
I'm not really sure what you're doing.

When you plug it in, iTunes should open and synch if its set to automatic. If manual, you need to open iTunes and then select synch.

So either way, it should synch. If you are having issues, I suggest you just restore it from iTunes (its an option in the window) and go from there.

Also, you can rename the iPod at any time - just click on the name in the left window and you can rename it there without a full restore.

Let us know if any of that helps.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:22 PM

563 posts, read 1,499,078 times
1- I have a Mac (and even when I had a PC it was always clean of spyware)
I probably need to update iTunes and will try that.

2- I don't have it set up to automatic sync. I want it manual.
I plug in the iPod. Click Sync. Nothing. Uncheck Manual and new options appear. Hit "apply" and that works.

I rather have "Manually manage" checked and just hit "Sync" but that doesn't work. I suppose the way I have to do it is pretty much the same. I guess I'm just looking for an answer to why it won't work.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:38 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
On the Mac: as soon as you plug-in the iPod, iTunes launches, and your iPod's icon appears at the left side of the iTune's window. You have to set the iPod's preferences first, and more than likely it won't sync because you have set the preferences not to sync your iPod.

If you connect the iPod to your computer and iTune's does not automatically launch, then launch it by clicking on the iTune's icon at the bottom of the screen (on the dock). Once iTunes has launched, your iPod should show at the left side of the window under DEVICES. If it shows there, click on your iPod with the mouse's button, which in turn will open another window showing your iPod. In the middle of this window you will have the choices to: "Check for Update," and "Restore." It's here where you check for and download the updates for your iPod ( don't "restore" your iPod unless you know what you are doing).

Near the bottom of the same window, checkmark the box marked: "Open iTunes when this iPod is connected."

Now, go to the top of the window, and open (click on) "Info" to see if you have anything to sync in there. For example, if you want to sync "Address Book Contacts," or maybe "Sync iCal Calendars." Continue opening the other folder (Music, Photos, TV Shows, Movies, and Apps) and see if you have chosen to sync anything in there.

Finally, don't disconnect your iPod from the computer until it's safe to do so. If iTunes shows you that it's now safe to disconnect your iPod, then you can do so. If not certain, first eject your iPod. To do this, look at the iTune's window for DEVICES. You will see your iPod right below DEVICES, and also a little triangle icon that has a short line below it. This is the "eject" symbol, which is identical to the eject button or key on your DVD player by the TV. Click on this "eject" symbol, and your iPod will disappear from the iTune's window. Now it's safe to disconnect your iPod.
--------
By the way, if you connect a card reader or even an USB hard drive to your computer, should always eject these devices before you unplug them from your computer. All you do is to click one time on the device, shown on the desktop, to highlight it. The next step is to press the key with the "eject" symbol at the top right corner of the keyboard, which in turn ejects the device. Now you can disconnect it. You can also do the same as follows: click and drag the device's icon to the trash can. An iPod is just like any other device you connect to your computer, and all must be ejected before unplugging from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers