Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 12:21 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times

Advertisements

Something to do for fun: Go back through this thread and count the number of posters that have one or two posts, total.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 12:25 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Something to do for fun: Go back through this thread and count the number of posters that have one or two posts, total.

There's a bunch of 'em!

Old 12-24-2011, 12:23 AM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well.
YOU just might flunk the Vivacious Test...

Sometimes too darn easy or lame issues about customization fly over my head. It is pitiful. What became annoying is all these people saying "Oh I have the same problem but none of the suggestions help" How could the same suggestion works for everyone else but you? Or they describe a similar sounding yet different issue under the same umbrella thread asking for help!

I should have just suggested that those who do not have much control over their mouse and prone to clicking erratically should just disable Active Desktop so they would never experience bizarre issues like this which is how my system is configured:

They can either use the freeware TweakUI and uncheck the highlighted option in the above screenshot or they could download the registry patches I zipped and attached that they could easily double-click to import into their registry. It has 2 files to disable or enable (default) adding Web content to their desktop aka "Active Desktop" setting.

Of course I am assuming their system was not infected with a variant of virtumonde (vundo) Trojan that typically affects the Active Desktop and could cause similar issues reported by all these people....
Attached Files
File Type: zip ActiveDesktop.zip (635 Bytes, 35 views)

Old 04-03-2012, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,641 times
try googleing (website colors are wrong) or just go to Website colors are wrong - MozillaZine Knowledge Base had this problem tried everything to figure it out finaly did. and wanted to help others fix the problem...hope this helps

Old 04-04-2012, 11:23 AM

Alert! Alert! The OP is dated: 09-20-2007

Quote:

Old 05-08-2012, 12:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,581 times
To set the transparent background on the icons, we’ll need to open System Properties in Control Panel (or right-click on My Computer and select Properties).

Control Panel>System>Advance Tab>Settings

Now scroll down to the button where you’ll find a checkbox for “Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop”. Make sure you check this box if you want transparent backgrounds on the icons.

Why this option isn’t just labeled “Enable Transparent Icons On the Desktop”, I just can’t say.

if checking it doesn’t fix your problem there is another step you must do. Follow this procedure:

Control Panel > Display > Desktop > Customize Desktop > Web > Uncheck everything here > OK > Apply

Thanks, Waseem Khan

Old 05-08-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Quote:
Alert! Alert! The OP is dated: 09-20-2007

The OP date has not changed. Just sayin'

Old 05-08-2012, 09:40 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Why all them "One-hit-wonders" love reviving this effing thread is beyond me!

Old 09-25-2013, 01:38 AM

2 posts, read 2,183 times
you might wanna translate this from dutch to english to read this, it worked for me!
eerst: rechter muis knop klik op eigenschappen, dan op thema: Windows xp thema
niet het aangepaste thema.
klik op buraublad (in eigenschappen) klik op bureaublad aanpassen.
klik dan op: website
delete alles behalve Mijn huidige introductie pagina,
en untick the Mijn huidige introductie pagina box.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,183 times
one of them is me but i have several sites where ive done it to just help people get out of trouble
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers