Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:16 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Now you have Mcafee and Avira? Both running at the same time? You should NOT under any circumstance have them BOTH running at the same time. Generally they will battle each other for resources and end up causing your computer more delay and issues.

Also please try to delete all the history and cookies.
You might try another browser like Chrome.
I did all of that. (I kept the Mcafee because I figured it would work better with Adobe)
I deleted all the cookie and history options.
Still doesn't work.

I switched from Explorer to Firefox a couple of years ago for reasons I can't remember now.
Is Chrome a new browser that is the best out of all 3?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 09:02 AM

Chrome!

I'm back in business with Google Chrome. Thanks for all the help!

Old 06-23-2012, 11:47 AM

8,307 posts, read 13,442,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Chrome!

I'm back in business with Google Chrome. Thanks for all the help!
You are hoping from browser to browser instead of fixing the actual problem. What will happen when Chrome craps out too?

Firefox has certain Add-ons that might initially block videos from working right on pages. Do you have any add-ons like "Flashblock" or "NoFlash" installed?

Manage Add-ons option you mentioned is for IE, so you will need to check the Add-ons for Firefox under Tools > Add-ons > Plugins. It might be listed as "Shockwave Flash" but you should uninstall it from Add-Remove programs list for Firefox, the previous instructions I gave you had this step which you need to skip for Firefox since it only applies to IE:
Quote:
- Browse to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed folder and delete Flash folder within.
Typically, when you are downloading Adobe Flash, it will shove a trialware like McAfee AV Scanner. There is no proof that it works better with Adobe, they are just partnered up to make money. Get rid of it since it is only a limited version anyhow. If you have a full fledged AV scanner like Avira, then you are already set.

Also, Firefox, to my best knowledge, just downloads the Adobe Flash plugin, it doesn't automatically run it afterward so you will have to browse to the download folder which is typically called Downloads within your "My Documents" folder. Make sure you uninstall "Adobe Flash Player Plugin" entry in Add-Remove Programs beforehand though and needless to say, you should close all browser windows and applications before running the installer. It is normally very straightforward and problem-free with Firefox so either you are doing something wrong or Firefox application itself might be really messed up and might require a uninstall/re-install itself. What version were you using anyhow? Latest version (13) was a bit funky with one of my add-ons so I had to download a beta version of it to get it to work with version 13 but its browsing and Flash capability is quite stable.

You might also look into running a freebie cleaner after uninstalling the current Flash Player plugin, such as CCleaner or ATF-Cleaner.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
You are hoping from browser to browser instead of fixing the actual problem. What will happen when Chrome craps out too?

Firefox has certain Add-ons that might initially block videos from working right on pages. Do you have any add-ons like "Flashblock" or "NoFlash" installed?

Manage Add-ons option you mentioned is for IE, so you will need to check the Add-ons for Firefox under Tools > Add-ons > Plugins. It might be listed as "Shockwave Flash" but you should uninstall it from Add-Remove programs list for Firefox, the previous instructions I gave you had this step which you need to skip for Firefox since it only applies to IE:
Typically, when you are downloading Adobe Flash, it will shove a trialware like McAfee AV Scanner. There is no proof that it works better with Adobe, they are just partnered up to make money. Get rid of it since it is only a limited version anyhow. If you have a full fledged AV scanner like Avira, then you are already set.

Also, Firefox, to my best knowledge, just downloads the Adobe Flash plugin, it doesn't automatically run it afterward so you will have to browse to the download folder which is typically called Downloads within your "My Documents" folder. Make sure you uninstall "Adobe Flash Player Plugin" entry in Add-Remove Programs beforehand though and needless to say, you should close all browser windows and applications before running the installer. It is normally very straightforward and problem-free with Firefox so either you are doing something wrong or Firefox application itself might be really messed up and might require a uninstall/re-install itself. What version were you using anyhow? Latest version (13) was a bit funky with one of my add-ons so I had to download a beta version of it to get it to work with version 13 but its browsing and Flash capability is quite stable.

You might also look into running a freebie cleaner after uninstalling the current Flash Player plugin, such as CCleaner or ATF-Cleaner.
Yes, I might eventually have problems with Chrome too. If it happens again I will try to remember this advice.
(But I don't mind using a new browser if only to see the difference between the various ones.)

I will say that I have been very happy with Firefox. And I know that there was some kind of malfunction with my computer that caused the problem. But I have seen similar problems when trying to do Adobe updates on my parents' computer too. There is some kind of malicious virus which I think is attacking Adobe updates. I eventually fixed their computer by completely removing all the Adobe, then doing some kind of anti-virus stuff. Then reloading Adobe.

Adobe has been a source of problems for me before. But to be honest, I've never been a fan of active videos and such. I prefer a solid link such as Youtube and it wish that more of them were done that way, even if it means that a new browser window has to be opened to view the videos.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:51 PM

I checked just and with this post I am back in Firefox. It's version 13. I had read last night or this morning when I was researching this problem that Firefox does it's own updates automatically.

I am pretty sure that the source of the problem is with Adobe updates.
Firefox itself I think is good and it seems more stable.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:26 PM

Just now, for the heck of it I uninstalled Firefox, rebooted, then installed it again. Still the same problem.

I'm afraid to even try messing with Adobe a 3rd or 4th time again, since I don't want Chrome to have similar trouble.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Well, I went ahead and disable the Firefox/ShockwaveFlash. When I tried to view an active video, instead of a blank screen I got this message:
"This video player supports Adobe Flash Player versions 10.1 and higher."

When I tried to view another websites slideshow it says:
"This plugin is disabled. Manage plugins..."
And the only thing showing as Disabled is the Shockwave Flash.

If I tried to Uninstall something again, is it going to cause a new problem with Chrome?

Old 06-23-2012, 02:59 PM

I went out on a limb and uninstalled the Adobe (Adobe Flash Player 11 Plugin) that I installed/updated yesterday. Now I have the following still in my Programs.

Acrobat = 2009
Adobe Air = 2009
Adobe Flashplayer 11 ActiveX = May 2012
Adobe Reader X 10.1.1 = 2011

Chrome still works without the new plugin.

I tried accessing the active website (the 2nd one in my previous post) that suggested I load the plugin. I tried and it said there was an error, and suggested that I do it manually. So I clicked on manual update and reloaded this to my programs:

Adobe Flash Player 11 Plugin = 6/23/2012

Several reboots/uninstalls/installs later.
Same problems in Firefox. I already tried re-installing Firefox first.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:33 PM

8,307 posts, read 13,442,156 times
Quote:
There is some kind of malicious virus which I think is attacking Adobe updates. I eventually fixed their computer by completely removing all the Adobe, then doing some kind of anti-virus stuff. Then reloading Adobe.

Adobe has been a source of problems for me before. But to be honest, I've never been a fan of active videos and such. I prefer a solid link such as Youtube and it wish that more of them were done that way, even if it means that a new browser window has to be opened to view the videos.
The recent slew of web based attacks have been targeting the vulnerabilities in the code which goes both for Java and Adobe Flash. Java is not installed by default and for the most part, not needed for home computers. Adobe is updating its Flash plugin/ActiveX code regularly hence the constant updates but it is still far from reliable and secure.

I have also seen certain videos on certain sites, YouTube included, cause problems with Firefox and even IE to the point of BSoD even after rebooting. Temp file cleaners are a good remedy though not a permanent fix, that is why I ask you to use a temp/junk file cleaner in between installs or at least after all the installations were done. I believe you have not done that, have you?

Quote:
Just now, for the heck of it I uninstalled Firefox, rebooted, then installed it again. Still the same problem.

I'm afraid to even try messing with Adobe a 3rd or 4th time again, since I don't want Chrome to have similar trouble.
Uninstalling the browser without getting rid of all the installed plugins for that browser will not do squad because once you uninstall the browser the related "Application Data" folders for Firefox is still there. It doesn't remove them which I think can be a good thing or, as in your case, a bad thing.

Once you uninstall Firefox, you will need to manually delete these folders to get rid of all its installed extensions:

For Windows XP: "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Mozilla" and "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla"

For Windows 7: "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Mozilla" and "C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla"

Afterward, re-install Mozilla Firefox. That is the proper procedure.

Important: You will need to manually backup your Bookmarks beforehand as deleting the above folders will also delete your bookmarks (Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Backup > choose "My Documents" folder or Desktop)!!

Quote:
Well, I went ahead and disable the Firefox/ShockwaveFlash. When I tried to view an active video, instead of a blank screen I got this message:

"This video player supports Adobe Flash Player versions 10.1 and higher."

When I tried to view another websites slideshow it says:
"This plugin is disabled. Manage plugins..."
And the only thing showing as Disabled is the Shockwave Flash.

If I tried to Uninstall something again, is it going to cause a new problem with Chrome?
You wasted your time. I never told you to disable the plugin. Logically, even if Flash Player plugin was working fine, when you disabled it, naturally, videos would no longer work, right?

Quote:
I went out on a limb and uninstalled the Adobe (Adobe Flash Player 11 Plugin) that I installed/updated yesterday. Now I have the following still in my Programs.

Acrobat = 2009
Adobe Air = 2009
Adobe Flashplayer 11 ActiveX = May 2012
Adobe Reader X 10.1.1 = 2011

Chrome still works without the new plugin.

I tried accessing the active website (the 2nd one in my previous post) that suggested I load the plugin. I tried and it said there was an error, and suggested that I do it manually. So I clicked on manual update and reloaded this to my programs:

Adobe Flash Player 11 Plugin = 6/23/2012

Several reboots/uninstalls/installs later.
Same problems in Firefox. I already tried re-installing Firefox first.
Chrome uses its own or perhaps even the same Flash Active X that IE uses. Only Firefox uses the Flash plugin so uninstalling it will not effect Chrome or IE.
Adobe Reader has nothing to do with all this. Same goes for Adobe.com and Adobe Air which get installed typically prior to Adobe PDF Reader which I do not use at home. You can actually uninstall both Adobe.com and Adobe Air and both the Reader and Flash Player would still work just fine.

Anyhow, that is my final input, you can either follow my instructions or do your own thing, again.

Good luck.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Uninstalling the browser without getting rid of all the installed plugins for that browser will not do squad because once you uninstall the browser the related "Application Data" folders for Firefox is still there. It doesn't remove them which I think can be a good thing or, as in your case, a bad thing.

Once you uninstall Firefox, you will need to manually delete these folders to get rid of all its installed extensions:

For Windows XP: "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Mozilla" and "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla"

For Windows 7: "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Mozilla" and "C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla"

Afterward, re-install Mozilla Firefox. That is the proper procedure.
Yes, I thought that uninstalling would remove all Firefox files.
I couldn't find those that you listed. I think I have Windows Vista.

I went to this directory:
c:\program files\mozilla firefox

and it shows these 4 file folders:
components
extensions
jsloader
jssubloader

As far as the bookmarks go, I don't really care, and I never keep bookmarks anyway like I used to years ago.
(For example, to get to this thread on either Firefox or Chrome, I just start to type the word "unable" and it finds the city data link to this thread.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers