Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:52 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,334 times

Advertisements

i'm looking for opinions on a good blu ray burner with burning software or should I just buy a third party software such as nero
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 09:32 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
If this is just for your own use in your own home, would eliminating the burner and instead, HDMI connecting a PC to your TV work?

Old 06-24-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If this is just for your own use in your own home, would eliminating the burner and instead, HDMI connecting a PC to your TV work?
yea this is for my own personal use. I'm using it to burn off large files and putting em on one blu ray instead of multible discs. not doing movies or music.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:50 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
I am pretty sure Windows has built in buring software. I seem to recall being asked if I want to write files to a newly inserted blank DVD or CD. I would think that would work for blue ray discs too???

Old 06-24-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I am pretty sure Windows has built in buring software. I seem to recall being asked if I want to write files to a newly inserted blank DVD or CD. I would think that would work for blue ray discs too???
i'm running windows 7 as I hate 8. it asks if I want to write files to dvd but not blu ray . I know windows 7 won't play blu ray discs and you have to buy a separate program to play blu ray discs

Old 06-24-2013, 10:15 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
I'd personally look on Newegg for burners that get good reviews.

Some will be bare drives, and some will have burning software included, so you'll just have to decide what's a better deal: a bare drive + separate software, or a drive that includes software.

Sometimes the included software is a lite version, so that's another think to keep in mind.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:48 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
i'm running windows 7 as I hate 8. it asks if I want to write files to dvd but not blu ray . I know windows 7 won't play blu ray discs and you have to buy a separate program to play blu ray discs
Hm, I have a Pioneer BluRay burner in a Win7 machine without any extra software and Windows will burn BluRay blanks just like DVDs and CDs. It works, but its REALLY slow to burn that much data to optical discs. If you're using it to back up data, just use a hard drive instead.

Playing BluRay movies is a different issue because you need the codec to play the video which Windows Media Player probably lacks. Not sure. I've never tried playing a BluRay movie in that machine.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:51 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
I think the latest highest technology blu ray burners use 100GB BDXL Discs. I had a TigerDirect email with an ad for one but I forgot the exact cost, maybe $129?

Read this: Blu-ray Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

100 GB BDXL Triple layer disc made by Sharp
The BDXL format supports 100 GB and 128 GB write-once discs[92][93] and 100 GB rewritable discs for commercial applications. It was defined in June 2010.
BD-R 3.0 Format Specification (BDXL) defined a multi-layered disc recordable in BDAV format with the speed of 2× and 4×, capable of 100/128 GB and usage of UDF2.5/2.6.[94]
BD-RE 4.0 Format Specification (BDXL) defined a multi-layered disc rewritable in BDAV with the speed of 2× and 4×, capable of 100 GB and usage of UDF2.5 as file system.[95]
BDXL discs are not compatible with existing BD drives, though a firmware update may be available for some newer drives.[citation needed]

Old 06-25-2013, 05:36 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
I know windows 7 won't play blu ray discs and you have to buy a separate program to play blu ray discs
There is two types of discs, authored like a movie you might rent and data discs that are just like storing files on a hard drive. With authored discs there is licensing involved, for example DVD uses MPEG2 and Microsoft never licensed it for XP. Windows Media player can play DVD but it needs the MPEG2 codec installed to do it so you only need to install the codec. I haven't reserched 7 and Blu ray but it should be the same case there.

As far as the data discs go you should be able to read and write to them out of the box.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:36 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
"Just connect your PC to your TV" "Just get a portable hard drive".
Dude wants his data on discs. He's made up his mind.

I agree with Escape that it WILL take a long time but since BluRay will someday replace DVD I would just advise you to:
Get a name brand plain old Blu Ray Burner. Any kind, shop by brand and price. Period.
Get Roxio's latest Product off the "shelf" so that you will have it for years. I doubt many will argue that Roxio makes a superior product.

Here's an LG for $100:
http://www.pcrush.com/product/CD-DVD...aZaAbZf.rw6xfA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers