Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 11:17 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,760,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
Agreed. Remember, Apple invented to first widely-used graphical user interface in 1984, with the first Macintosh. I would argue that Windows was originally developed as a response to Apple's huge success with the graphical user interface.

All very fascinating history, of the GUI... With all kind and polite respect intended of course, I had thought that Xerox was technically the first company that developed the first modern graphical user interface, which Apple then copied from Xerox, followed by Microsoft copying Apple's efforts? (I admit that I could certainly be incorrect here however, as I am by no means a history buff, just going off of what I read about the history of Xerox and Apple, in the past.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 12:00 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
All very fascinating history, of the GUI... With all kind and polite respect intended of course, I had thought that Xerox was technically the first company that developed the first modern graphical user interface, which Apple then copied from Xerox, followed by Microsoft copying Apple's efforts? (I admit that I could certainly be incorrect here however, as I am by no means a history buff, just going off of what I read about the history of Xerox and Apple, in the past.)
I think you are correct. I qualified my statement by stating that the Mac was the first "widely-used graphical user interface."

Indeed, Xerox has invented many things that are now commonplace (the photocopier being the most prominent example.)

Old 12-07-2013, 04:51 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
The iPad was, without a doubt, the first major success for a tablet computer. Microsoft tried to popularize the tablet concept in 2002, with Windows XP Tablet PC Edition (granted, the hardware was a laptop/tablet hybrid design, rather than a tablet design.) This effort failed, and Apple succeed 7 years later with the first iPad. All of today's current tablets with Android and Windows OS's are a response to the iPad. Once again, Microsoft is trying to popularize an idea that Apple developed. The difference nowadays is that Apple has a much larger market share (compared to Microsoft) when it comes to tablets and smartphones. I expect that this trend will continue, despite Microsoft's efforts to "unify" the devices via. Windows 8.
Both of these statements are false. Microsoft (even Tandy and Digital Corp) had the "idea" of the modern a tablet before Apple. Apple was the first to successfully execute it. You make it seem like everyone copied Apple but leave out that Apple copied the app store from Palm, Microsoft and Handspring and that Apple copied APIs from Microsoft, Sun Microsystems and AT&T.

Google has a larger marketshare of smartphones and tablets than Apple.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:20 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
are they trying to make PCs similar to the IPAD apps - seems so.
Its not even close. Its much more easier and intuitive to use a ipad or a android device than it is to use Win8(.1).

Old 12-07-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
...even Tandy .....
Correction: Tandy didn't get into it. They bought Grid who had numerous patents to it and actually built some of it in the extremely high end market that wasn't ready for it yet. Thanks to Grid, Tandy owns the patent to the clamshell design of computers.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:38 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Correction: Tandy didn't get into it. They bought Grid who had numerous patents to it and actually built some of it in the extremely high end market that wasn't ready for it yet. Thanks to Grid, Tandy owns the patent to the clamshell design of computers.
Good call. I'm a bit fuzzy on M&A back then. I'd like to further understand why ToucheGA believes Apple developed the idea.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
I'd like to further understand why ToucheGA believes Apple developed the idea.
Developing and creating are two different things. Apple had put much more R&D into the developing (once they were given access to the patent) hardware more than other companies. Apple tried to let Motorola create computers (outside of supplying RISC) and the failed so miserably that they had to give their computers 5-year warranties. Thus Apple carried the ideas much further than others did.

On a side note if you dig far enough into Microsoft OS code, you will find a few Apple programs down there too.

As to Win8 it would be more acceptable if it defaulted to icons instead of panes. When one has to scroll a desktop screen to the right since the initial panes are to large is a PITA. When one loads a program not designed for Win8 and it loads perfectly yet creates no icons or panes its a PITA to find it and pin it to the desktop (for those who care Office 2007 does function fully on Win8.1).

Old 12-09-2013, 08:47 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
The Dummies books have never been rah-rah books. At least the ones I have read.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:12 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
I rather like Windows 8 on a touchscreen device. Swiping is an effective way to cause things to happen on an electronic device. The gestures in Win 8 take a few days to get comfortable with - no more than swiping home screens on an Android or pinching to zoom.

With the exception of MS Office, I spend most time in the Start screen using tiled applications.

Win8 is a radical change for most - so the comfort level is not high for many. I think the potential is high though. In my experience, quality and reliability of Win 8 is very good.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:28 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,746 times
Quote:
Good call. I'm a bit fuzzy on M&A back then. I'd like to further understand why ToucheGA believes Apple developed the idea.
I never said Apple developed the idea for a tablet. I said "The iPad was, without a doubt, the first major success for a tablet computer." I was simply stating that the iPad was the first commercial success for a tablet. To my knowledge, no company experienced a huge commercial success in tablet sales before Apple released the first iPad. I worded my statement carefully to reflect this fact.

One could argue that the basic idea for a tablet computer dates back to the 1960's, a decade or so before Microsoft or Apple were even founded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Developing and creating are two different things. Apple had put much more R&D into the developing...Apple carried the ideas much further than others did.
This was the point I was trying to make. Apple did not invent the tablet technology, they were simply able to successfully develop the technology faster and more successfully than anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers