Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 03:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times

Advertisements

We are down to 4 laptops, and two i-pads. 3 of the laptops are hooked up to 22" screens, but can be unplgged from them for portability. The 4th is a little one I use just for internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 08:07 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,389,768 times
I've had my i3 desktop PC for over 2 years now. I love it! But my techie friend sings his version of that ancient Three Dog Night song to me: "Just an old-fashioned desktop.. coming down in a three-part blue screen.."

Am I behind the times?

Old 11-29-2014, 08:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Ours is more we don't do anything not at home that cellphone doesn't cover. Hate rechargeable batteries also.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:50 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
What would be the procedure for hooking up my new laptop to a big screen TV?

Old 07-29-2015, 03:34 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
What would be the procedure for hooking up my new laptop to a big screen TV?
If they both have HDMI, use a HDMI cable to connect them together.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:25 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
I almost exclusively use my iPad. I need a PC for a few things, but I use the wife's laptop or my office PC for those.

I'm a pastor, so I do all my sermon prep on a PC in my office, then I sync a folder to an iPad app, "GoodReader". I have the notes to every sermon I've ever preached on my iPad, along with other documents relating to my ministry. I then preach off of the iPad on Sunday morning.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:10 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Can't get rid of the desktop. I have five monitors hooked to it and use it for my business. If all I did was e-mails and web browsing a laptop would be fine but I don't.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:54 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Re: Earthquake:
Here's the thing about landlines that I learned during 9/11: during a crisis, they don't work either because the lines are jammed...
That was years ago, when most people still had landline. Now, most people do -not- have landline, and it's much less likely that the lines will be jammed in any random location.

Also, 9/11 is not the same as Hurricane Blahblah the 42nd. Both are crises, but people already know to expect hurricanes. 9/11 was an unprecedented situation. Hurricanes, earthquakes, building burnings, generic violence - are not.

During a 9/11-type of crises, you'd expect everything to be jammed up - including the internet even if you do have power in the house.

But if you don't have power in the house, and you do have a landline, you have an actual shot at getting through to someone whereas if the cell tower is down (which can and do occur during hurricanes) and you have a cell phone, you have no shot at all.

As for the desktop: if mine breaks and they've stopped making them, I'll do without. Til then, I'm keeping mine. I've had this one since they first came out with win7, and I've had to do one factory restore on it. Other than that I"ve had no problems with it. I'm thinking of possibly upgrading to win10 but I'm letting my windows tablet experimentation results be the deciding factor on that. And I have an android tablet in case my windows tablet gives me trouble.

I don't own a cell phone.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:18 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Re: Earthquake:
Here's the thing about landlines that I learned during 9/11: during a crisis, they don't work either because the lines are jammed...
A lot of areas where old lines were replaced, they are no longer wired, so depending on your landline to still work may not happen.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:39 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Yes, I realize everything I do could be done on a laptop, BUT even my laptop's 17" screen is too small for displaying some of the work I do or things I need to read online, AND getting to my laptop's one and only CD drive is more annoying than just reaching over to my desktop's tower and putting in a CD.

I've been doing a ton of writing lately on both my laptop and desktop, and I know for a fact that the type of keyboard makes a big difference -- fewer typos (thus more efficiency) on the desktop keyboard, which is one reason I bought an external keyboard for one of my laptops, and the bigger monitor in my face means I catch typos faster.

It's all about what one does with a computing device to make a determination of what is mandatory and what isn't and why.
I normally use my laptop. I have a tablet which died in two months, but didn't like it enough to bother having it fixed. But I also have a desktop which is going to be hooked into the tv for a monitor. I hate watching video's on the laptop since you have to block all light hitting the screen. So the tv will be a good use. And I'd like to be able to proof writing files with a bigger screen when I'm tired.

I have another laptop as a backup, bought used, and plan to keep fixing this one. It's much more convient to write on this one. The screen is slightly bigger and completely fills.

But as for keyboards, I use an ergonomic raised one, and made a desk that fits it since its larger than normal. Typing is stressful for my fingers and they go numb, but this one keeps them at natural angles and its quite comfortable. It will be used on computer I'm using. I can't stand flat laptop keyboards. I use that on my thumb operated track ball over the installed varietys.

I also have an old xp laptop which still runs. I don't know why but the tones of music you get from that one are so much better than the new ones. I'm going to set it up as my music machine, hooked directly into the speakers for the tv system.

This is the keyboard

Amazon.com: Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000: Electronics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers