Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 08:50 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times

Advertisements

This morning I updated my Malwarebytes version to the new 2.0.4.1028, ran a threat scan - 326,774 objects, with zero objects infected. As usual....as always.

You guys are perfectly free to call my comments irresponsible, but I call them simple truth. All you have to do to keep your system clean is use your head - know a phishing scam when you see one, never open an unsolicited email attachment, never download anything from an unknown or untrusted source, etc., etc.

You are not going to be infected just by connecting to the Internet - updates or no updates. Not saying that there isn't an extremely rare exception out there somewhere. But as I said, there's more reason to worry about Ebola. And, for most people, that risk is next to nil.

You guys who continue to obsess over this are a solution in search of a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 02:03 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
What benefit do you derive from not updating?

Old 12-07-2014, 02:36 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Bragging rights. It makes him feel more important or better than the rest of us. I can't think of any other logical reason.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:50 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
Well I can relate to the original poster. Updating is annoying when it seems like it's nagging you to do so constantly. And yes, if I've "wiped" a computer using a restore image from 8-12 months ago or using a CD, I want ALL the updates to take a maximum of 10 minutes to download and install. Yes, I said it--in an entire year's worth of time, I want the entire update process to require no more than 10 minutes. I am as serious as a heart attack--and I've BUILT computers. I absolutely mean this. That's all the time it should require. For it to take hours and hours is just ridiculous. Computers are supposed to be for getting things done FAST, how is that happening if you're spending hours and hours just downloading a measly 8 months worth of updates? The only way I could be okay with that slow of a pace and that humongous amount of time involved would be if I had it do so later with the computer doing so overnight while I was sleeping, with it not failing due to my not being there to press OK or reboot etc. (Then, I'll record a "system image" of it that way so that, if I have to roll it back, at least it won't roll back all the way to zero.)

If a computer's operating system is so vulnerable to where the short while I receive notice of an update vs applying it would be enough for it to get infected, then the operating system was done lousy to start with.

One situation where this happened to me and I became extremely angry, although it involved a phone--I purchased a phone and was setting it up, maybe 3 minutes after I had switched it on my account my wife calls needing me to transfer money from one account to the other so she could complete her purchase, she was actually on the verge of paying for it. I needed for my phone, ON THE SPOT, to let me download "Next" Browser, the browser that could get this done, so I could do this. Instead, I couldn't, because it was busy downloading, WITHOUT TELLING ME, a good 700 megabytes to update its operating system, from 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich to 4.1 JellyBean. I didn't yet know about .apk files and "side-loading" as I do now, and it was a good hour before I could download that app and take care of that pressing need.

Most ridiculous of all is that the phone didn't even TELL me, it just DID it. You do not EVER EVER download a 700 megabyte file without my express permission, and if I say "later," then take the hint and LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!! I don't care if the consequences of updating later means I catch AIDS and die--fine, I'd rather that happen than to be aggravated like a nagging scornful type of woman vs letting me do what I myself deem necessary.

Yes, I consider 1 hour to be an EXTREMELY long time. I expected to phone to totally drop anything else it was doing with respect to updates and do what I needed and do so RIGHT NOW. That was my expectation, that still IS my expectation, and I'm sticking with it. That's why I've learned how to do system image restore with Acronis--so I can, if a computer needs overhauling, set it up with the Windows installation, all the programs, all the settings etc--and do so THAT FAST and get right back to doing what I was doing, vs having to spend 45 minutes installing Windows, then another 2-4 hours setting up all the programs, settings, bookmarks etc. I will update eventually, maybe later that day, but don't interfere with what I'm doing, let me update when I FEEL like it--and yes, find a way to not get infected in the meanwhile.

Last edited by shyguylh; 12-08-2014 at 12:14 AM..

Old 12-09-2014, 07:07 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
Did you receive your 107MB security/program updates today? Many years old programs still need a fix.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:54 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
79.5mb

You must have missed a couple.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 530 times
My Windows 7 fails to boot. Hitting RESET I can force it to do a system repair which restores it back to a working system.

The computer is then absolutely fine until I turn it off. At turn off it carries out Windows 7 update and then fails to start again.

How can I break this annoying cycle ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers