Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 04:25 PM

749 posts, read 921,040 times

Advertisements

Here is the story: When I got up, my pc was already downloading automatically, 127 updates, totalling 1,061.7 MB-1,062.0 MB. Of course, with so many of them, the computer is rejecting them, and not even one was downloaded.

I had several of them downloaded automatically on 11/28. My question is: Why is this pc downloading so many updates at one time?

Time Warner Cable has recently updated my modem to make the computer faster.......not my idea, but, since it was for free, I went along with it. I have learned that there is pressure from the customers to have faster internet connection.

Since I tried several times, and nothing was happening, I took it upon myself to take away about 11 updates, figuring I would download them later, because I feel 127 at one time, is way too much. The pc showed, after I took ll away, that 111 would be downloaded, with no luck.

What should I do? Now, I cannot even send an email successfully. Thank you so much......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 05:03 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
Here is the story: When I got up, my pc was already downloading automatically, 127 updates, totalling 1,061.7 MB-1,062.0 MB. Of course, with so many of them, the computer is rejecting them, and not even one was downloaded.

I had several of them downloaded automatically on 11/28. My question is: Why is this pc downloading so many updates at one time?

Time Warner Cable has recently updated my modem to make the computer faster.......not my idea, but, since it was for free, I went along with it. I have learned that there is pressure from the customers to have faster internet connection.

Since I tried several times, and nothing was happening, I took it upon myself to take away about 11 updates, figuring I would download them later, because I feel 127 at one time, is way too much. The pc showed, after I took ll away, that 111 would be downloaded, with no luck.

What should I do? Now, I cannot even send an email successfully. Thank you so much......
You can turn off automatic updates. Google "How to turn off automatic updates".

Old 12-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
You can turn off automatic updates. Google "How to turn off automatic updates".
But it would be a bad idea for the OP to never update again. Many updates fix vulnerabilities in the operating system. Since the OP's computer is on the Internet, it needs that protection, or it will be exploited by malware.

Mictosoft pushed a big batch of updates last month. It was an unusually large batch.

Dozens of non-security Windows updates on Patch Tuesday | ZDNet

Old 12-03-2014, 06:55 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
But it would be a bad idea for the OP to never update again. Many updates fix vulnerabilities in the operating system. Since the OP's computer is on the Internet, it needs that protection, or it will be exploited by malware.

Mictosoft pushed a big batch of updates last month. It was an unusually large batch.

Dozens of non-security Windows updates on Patch Tuesday | ZDNet
What makes you think so?

Old 12-04-2014, 06:29 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
What makes you think so?
XPerience.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:30 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:

Download a few at a time, I guess. Be prepared to spend the whole day doing it, though.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:05 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
I don't care how many updates you have, Windows should have no problem downloading 127 updates and installing them. If it is choking on updates, then something else is at play here. Reboot and let them install.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:09 AM

858 posts, read 2,993,636 times
I have not experienced any issues with Windows updates; there must be another issue at play here. Do not turn off automatic windows updates

Old 12-04-2014, 08:46 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
What makes you think so?
Depends on the exploit but for example in early versions of XP simply connecting the machine itself to the internet can get you infected. There is millions of lines of code in an OS like Windows and when "if $a == $b" is significantly different than "if $a === $B" you can expect errors and exploits.

My example is from phpBB2 and was significant enough they issued a patch just to fix it a few days after a huge patch was released.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
If you're on cable you should be able to download that amount quickly. Less than one half hour....

Is your disk by any chance full?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers