Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 09:23 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
DPolo, what is FB? Firefox? As for Google searches, they seem to be going to the dogs. I seldom get what I ask for. Not even a hint of it. Bing comes closer but even it can falter. I do understand that they have to make their money and the ads - assuming they get clicks - do help but I'd surely like to find "Lindbergh High School, St Louis" instead of some school in Virginia that isn't even in "St Louis".

Guess I'll stop complaining. Thanks for your explanations. Wish I knew more but I'll never live long enough for that to happen. I do not understand computers.
FB= Facebook.com (acronym

It sounds like you need your computer cleaned from malware.

google search for "Lindbergh High School, St Louis" on my computer provided this link first :
Lindbergh High School / LHS Home

I don't have any advertisements in that search !

so you need to have your computer cleaned from malware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 09:32 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Oaky, so it's not Windows that's doing the tracking, although it an open secret that Windows 10 will watch you like never before (you really do have to watch the short video in the OP to get an idea of how extensive it is) but in this case you're saying that the cookies were watching my traffic. What if I had gone to another vitamin co. ? Do they know the exact vitamin co. I visited? Do they know what I ordered? How extensive is the info they collect? I did notice that the ads stopped once I deleted my cookies. But how did they know the CoQ10 I ordered from my other co. 3 months ago was 100 mg's--not 30, not 60, not 200--but 100??? And 120 softgels, not capsules, not tabs--and not 30/bottle, or 60/bottle, or 75/bottle, or 240---but 120!! I mean that's a shot in the dark to pinpoint the exact form, dose and quantity I usually buy---like once they knew the co. I buy from they were able to invade the co's records and see the exact list of what I've ordered from that other co??

I'm think of DL-ing Linux and just bypassing Windows entirely.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Oaky, so it's not Windows that's doing the tracking, although it an open secret that Windows 10 will watch you like never before (you really do have to watch the short video in the OP to get an idea of how extensive it is) but in this case you're saying that the cookies were watching my traffic. What if I had gone to another vitamin co. ? Do they know the exact vitamin co. I visited? Do they know what I ordered? How extensive is the info they collect? I did notice that the ads stopped once I deleted my cookies. But how did they know the CoQ10 I ordered from my other co. 3 months ago was 100 mg's--not 30, not 60, not 200--but 100??? And 120 softgels, not capsules, not tabs--and not 30/bottle, or 60/bottle, or 75/bottle, or 240---but 120!! I mean that's a shot in the dark to pinpoint the exact form, dose and quantity I usually buy---like once they knew the co. I buy from they were able to invade the co's records and see the exact list of what I've ordered from that other co??

I'm think of DL-ing Linux and just bypassing Windows entirely.
Cookies and browsing history have nothing to do with operating system you are running.

If I am to build a website that provides information to public I would use an add control to pay for the website. The add control will display advertisements that are targeted to you based on your browsing history, we are looking to show you links for stuff you are likely to buy. This is harmless and legal and acceptable. It's ok, you don't need to be treated for schizophrenia thinking that your computer is conspiring against you .

If the methods are intrusive, not harmless, they interfere with your ability to use the computer, it's called malware, it's like a computer virus.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:58 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,257,507 times
All right. Computer wants a cleaning job. I'd not be surprised. ESET has a very high rating but I find it weird that, in two years, they'd not found one virus, not one piece of malware, nothing. Unless the computer world has improved 400% in two years, this is most unusual.

Of course, there is the fact that I don't visit 99% of the web. I do very little surfing. So, maybe Murphy Bach doesn't get exposed as much as do some.

And, I am thinking of DL Apple. :-)

Old 09-11-2015, 10:11 AM

See,
https://kinsta.com/blog/ad-management-plugins/

I build the website using adds, out of every 100 visitors a definite number is going to click on them advertisements, making me money.

There is a number of adds I can choose from, sometimes I can advertise what I want to advertise and sometimes it is provided for me.

There are very advised tools that are used to analyze your purchases (Your online purchases) Your supermarket purchases when you use your discount card. This information is stored, analyzed by mathematicians/statisticians using pretty advanced software. Every time I shop at my supermarket with the receipt they print out coupons for products that I might like based on their analysts.

When I look for work, I get a bunch of interviews with companies that do just that, online advertisement, it's big business.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
See,
https://kinsta.com/blog/ad-management-plugins/

I build the website using adds, out of every 100 visitors a definite number is going to click on them advertisements, making me money.

There is a number of adds I can choose from, sometimes I can advertise what I want to advertise and sometimes it is provided for me.

There are very advised tools that are used to analyze your purchases (Your online purchases) Your supermarket purchases when you use your discount card. This information is stored, analyzed by mathematicians/statisticians using pretty advanced software. Every time I shop at my supermarket with the receipt they print out coupons for products that I might like based on their analysts.

When I look for work, I get a bunch of interviews with companies that do just that, online advertisement, it's big business.
The store I shop at most always gives coupons for something I just bought and with such a short-time expiration date that I'll never use the coupon. I don't complain. Just see it as funny. Still love that store.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
All right. Computer wants a cleaning job. I'd not be surprised. ESET has a very high rating but I find it weird that, in two years, they'd not found one virus, not one piece of malware, nothing. Unless the computer world has improved 400% in two years, this is most unusual.

Of course, there is the fact that I don't visit 99% of the web. I do very little surfing. So, maybe Murphy Bach doesn't get exposed as much as do some.

And, I am thinking of DL Apple. :-)

I use and recommend malware bytes, but from time to time I also get malware. This program, malware bytes displays a pop-up telling me that some-one is injecting malware, or that my pc is communicating with some server without me knowing about it. So I can block it and prevent malware from being installed. I can choose to not block it and malware will be installed.

It also scheduled to run at night and to scan my computer for computer viruses and unwanted junk, I get reports what it found and what it cleaned up. Some days it finds one item, some days it find 15 items to clean up But even with all that, every couple years I still get malware that needs to be cleaned up.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
The store I shop at most always gives coupons for something I just bought and with such a short-time expiration date that I'll never use the coupon. I don't complain. Just see it as funny. Still love that store.
I get paid for my computer knowledge, I can't be bothered with a coupon.

I really do not care if I spend $150 or $200 of weeks groceries

Old 09-11-2015, 10:25 AM

I have Malware Bytes Antimalware. Thought I did and just checked. Maybe the combination of that and ESET plus who knows what else, is keeping my machine clean.

I can dream, can't I?

Old 09-11-2015, 01:35 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Cookies and browsing history have nothing to do with operating system you are running.

If I am to build a website that provides information to public I would use an add control to pay for the website. The add control will display advertisements that are targeted to you based on your browsing history, we are looking to show you links for stuff you are likely to buy. This is harmless and legal and acceptable. It's ok, you don't need to be treated for schizophrenia thinking that your computer is conspiring against you .

If the methods are intrusive, not harmless, they interfere with your ability to use the computer, it's called malware, it's like a computer virus.
Still, I think there is a good reason why so many people are just saying "NO!" to Windows and simply downloading Linux or Ubuntu to run their computer. Which leads to another question: Do I have to uninstall Windows to operate Linux? And what's the relationship between Ubuntu and Linux? At times the literature reads like they're two separate OS and sometimes I see "Ubuntu run on Linux OS".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers