Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 02:46 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Still, I think there is a good reason why so many people are just saying "NO!" to Windows and simply downloading Linux or Ubuntu to run their computer. Which leads to another question: Do I have to uninstall Windows to operate Linux? And what's the relationship between Ubuntu and Linux? At times the literature reads like they're two separate OS and sometimes I see "Ubuntu run on Linux OS".
There is a technology called Virtual machine, you can install "Virtual" in your windows and then install Linux on it. This will let you play with Linux without loosing Windows and programs that run on windows.

Virtual PC is fro windows(like win 7), Hyper V is for 64 bit Win Server.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=3702

5 Ways to Run Linux Software on Windows

How to run Linux under Windows 7's Windows Virtual PC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 06:24 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
There is a technology called Virtual machine, you can install "Virtual" in your windows and then install Linux on it. This will let you play with Linux without loosing Windows and programs that run on windows.

Virtual PC is fro windows(like win 7), Hyper V is for 64 bit Win Server.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=3702

5 Ways to Run Linux Software on Windows

How to run Linux under Windows 7's Windows Virtual PC
Thanks much for the links. Very interesting. Sometimes articles raise more questions than they answer. For example, on the LINUX webpage it says simply, "Download LINUX"---like you would a pdf doc. But then elsewhere it says, "You will be asked to create a CD of the OS." So do I just download LINUX and I'm ready to go, or do I have to employ RedHat to create a CD for me if I don't know how in the heck to burn a CD of all this and then use it to do whatever it is supposed to do?

I think I'm in over my head.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:26 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Still, I think there is a good reason why so many people are just saying "NO!" to Windows and simply downloading Linux or Ubuntu to run their computer.
Not that many. Linux desktop usage share has been tiny for years and shows little sign of improving much beyond its 1-2% share. Most open source end user software is fairly terrible - unfinished, buggy, ugly, unfriendly, and poorly documented. Until that changes, a platform aimed at the end user will not have much success. Canonical (makers of Ubuntu) are trying to change that but it's still largely a cesspool.

Quote:
Which leads to another question: Do I have to uninstall Windows to operate Linux?
No. You can run them side by side.

Quote:
And what's the relationship between Ubuntu and Linux?
Ubuntu is a Linux distribution. They take the Linux kernel and a bunch of programs/utilities/etc, put their own user interface on it, use their own application repositories, etc. Ubuntu is actually built from Debian GNU/Linux.

Quote:
At times the literature reads like they're two separate OS and sometimes I see "Ubuntu run on Linux OS".
Linux is the kernel. The kernel on its own is not terribly useful. Much of the stuff that renders it useful is actually from the GNU Project (which tried making its own kernel called Hurd, but that has yet to go anywhere despite 25 years of development). The modern GUIs that you interact with are written by various groups.

In any event, the simple solution to the original problem is to install ghostery and call it a day. It's great that you delete cookies but companies don't really need them to track you.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:42 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Not that many. Linux desktop usage share has been tiny for years and shows little sign of improving much beyond its 1-2% share. Most open source end user software is fairly terrible - unfinished, buggy, ugly, unfriendly, and poorly documented. Until that changes, a platform aimed at the end user will not have much success. Canonical (makers of Ubuntu) are trying to change that but it's still largely a cesspool.

No. You can run them side by side.

Ubuntu is a Linux distribution. They take the Linux kernel and a bunch of programs/utilities/etc, put their own user interface on it, use their own application repositories, etc. Ubuntu is actually built from Debian GNU/Linux.

Linux is the kernel. The kernel on its own is not terribly useful. Much of the stuff that renders it useful is actually from the GNU Project (which tried making its own kernel called Hurd, but that has yet to go anywhere despite 25 years of development). The modern GUIs that you interact with are written by various groups.

In any event, the simple solution to the original problem is to install ghostery and call it a day. It's great that you delete cookies but companies don't really need them to track you.
Thanks much for all the helpful info. So then at the end of the day it sounds like TOR is the easiest way thus far to keep companies from intruding on your surfing. I've used TOR on a few occasions just to see what it's all about and it seems I did avoid being tracked by companies trying to throw ads up on products I searched. The question is, can Windows still track you while you're using TOR? I know your ISP can't. And when you do use TOR to do google searches can google make records of your searches while on TOR to report back to their whor..... er, ad clients?

Also, I think all this hoopla about TOR and the Dark Net is vastly overblown. TOR makes an all-out effort to keep their content within the law so one would have to already know their way around the DN pretty well in order to utilize TOR nefariously (and TOR is only the most well-known one--there are literally hundreds, maybe thousands of similar browsers known to the underground Internet users). I mean it's not like you sign on to TOR and immediately all these illegal pharmaceutical purchasing websites are staring you in the face. It's categorized into various topics like "social" "political" "literature" (classic literature, believe it or not) etc. and you wouldn't know the difference between it and Yahoo except it's add-free.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:03 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
Thanks much for all the helpful info. So then at the end of the day it sounds like TOR is the easiest way thus far to keep companies from intruding on your surfing. I've used TOR on a few occasions just to see what it's all about and it seems I did avoid being tracked by companies trying to throw ads up on products I searched. The question is, can Windows still track you while you're using TOR? I know your ISP can't. And when you do use TOR to do google searches can google make records of your searches while on TOR to report back to their whor..... er, ad clients?

Also, I think all this hoopla about TOR and the Dark Net is vastly overblown. TOR makes an all-out effort to keep their content within the law so one would have to already know their way around the DN pretty well in order to utilize TOR nefariously (and TOR is only the most well-known one--there are literally hundreds, maybe thousands of similar browsers known to the underground Internet users). I mean it's not like you sign on to TOR and immediately all these illegal pharmaceutical purchasing websites are staring you in the face. It's categorized into various topics like "social" "political" "literature" (classic literature, believe it or not) etc. and you wouldn't know the difference between it and Yahoo except it's add-free.
I think TOR is way overkill to prevent some tracking .....

As others have said:

If you are using IE, get a real browser (FF or Chrome).
Install AdBlock, FlashBlock, and Ghostery (and possibly NoScript).

If you don't want Google tracking you, sign out of any Google accounts you have.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:33 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,257,507 times
I'd commented earlier that I got a message from a newsletter that Flash Player would no longer be working at their web site. A friend reminded me of what it said. Firefox (and some other browser) will no longer be using Flash Player.

So, got that straight in case anyone needs to know. Just in case.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:24 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Yes, thank you. They're not as private as you might think, but back to my questions. And what if you're using DDGo on Windows 10? Still feel safe?
I don't use Windows 10 and doubt I ever will but no, nothing can ensure 100% safety or privacy when you are online and interacting/sharing information about yourself.

But a good browser with the right settings and add-ons can make things much better for both privacy and safety. That said, the weakest link is the user and his/her browsing habits which is why no one or no security measure can ever guarantee 100% safety or privacy.

There is no free lunch so if MS is making Windows 10 so readily available and this is a company that is about making $$, then intelligent minds will ask; what is the catch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers