Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 05:35 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,901,566 times

Advertisements

Is malwaretizing a word now? It seems that the ads that go on websites can actually carry malware now and you don't have to click on them to have them do something, like create a pop-up page. All you have to do is open the page. The website that puts the ads on its site has no idea which ads will do this, so it's unfair to blame the website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 05:50 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,006,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Is malwaretizing a word now?
Malvertizing is the proper term. Use an ad blocker and you won't have to blame anyone. It's a bad wrap for website owners that are losing money because I block advertizing, but I'm not risking the security of my PC or data for them to make a couple cents off of my visit.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:06 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,667,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
... which is why I consider online advertising a security risk, rather than just an annoyance. I won't visit any site that blocks ad blockers.

Agree 100% ... ad blocking is just another form of anti-malware in my eyes. I won't run our machines without it.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:47 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times
Im sorry everyone for telling about Forbes,I just didnt want someone who didnt know to goto the page and have something bad happen... (They might get mad @ me)

Yes in most cases its the rotationg ads that cause issues,NOT THE WEBSITE OWNER and its hard to control what comes in when your serving ads......

Old 01-12-2016, 04:48 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Im sorry everyone for telling about Forbes,I just didnt want someone who didnt know to goto the page and have something bad happen... (They might get mad @ me)

Yes in most cases its the rotationg ads that cause issues,NOT THE WEBSITE OWNER and its hard to control what comes in when your serving ads......
Please don't be. Your comment prompted my memory of a troubling recent visit to Forbes where I got messages about removing Adblock. I also remember seeing a message with "Montiera" in it and I believe it was at that same visit, but not 100% certain.

So reading this thread prompted me to run a Malwarebytes scan - first one in a month or so - and that scan found one malicious item, PUP.Optional.Montiera. I removed it, of course, and Malwarebytes did it quickly and easily. Anyway, my best guess is that it came from that visit. I didn't download anything in the way of freeware, etc. that would be a likely source.

I disagree with those who suggest that websites are not responsible for malicious behavior of ad content appearing on their site. On the contrary, they absolutely have a responsibility to screen and prevent malware attack from ads that they get paid for to the fullest extent possible.

It continues to boggle my mind that the shady and unscrupulous advertising practices common on the Internet were ever accepted - either by the public generally or by law. Most of this should have never come to be, including the use of "cookies" to track users and target ads. It is outrageous, and only goes on because we let it go on. It goes on because we have become a culture so conditioned to look the other way - from anything and everything - that very few even consider speaking up in dissent.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I disagree with those who suggest that websites are not responsible for malicious behavior of ad content appearing on their site.
People were implying that they were knowingly trying to infect computers that were using an ad blocker, that is an outright lie.

Quote:
On the contrary, they absolutely have a responsibility to screen and prevent malware attack from ads that they get paid for to the fullest extent possible.
That's maybe how it SHOULD work, but it's not how it does work. Forbes isn't the first and won't be the last to serve malware via a hijacked ad network.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:09 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Quote:
Again, it was a 3rd party ad network that was the source of the infection, Forbes has no control over it, which is why I consider online advertising a security risk, rather than just an annoyance. I won't visit any site that blocks ad blockers.
Forbes doesn't get to choose what 3rd party ad networks use their site? If their causing people to avoid their site then wouldn't Forbes be able to "fire" the 3rd party providing the ads and sign up for a different one? Or just switched charging for access to their site. I may be misunderstanding your defense of Forbes, so please set me straight.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Forbes doesn't get to choose what 3rd party ad networks use their site? If their causing people to avoid their site then wouldn't Forbes be able to "fire" the 3rd party providing the ads and sign up for a different one?
You're missing the point. I'm not defending Forbes, I'm stating who is actually responsible for the malware, I thought that would be rather clear, apparently not.

Switching ad networks would only be useful if there was one that didn't get hijacked, there isn't.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:00 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
People were implying that they were knowingly trying to infect computers that were using an ad blocker, that is an outright lie.

That's maybe how it SHOULD work, but it's not how it does work. Forbes isn't the first and won't be the last to serve malware via a hijacked ad network.
That is absolutely how it should work, and could work, if sites like Forbes accepted the responsibility that is theirs for making it so.

Your last sentence here and your post that follows illustrate the looking the other way that I spoke of. The throwing up your hands saying everybody does it....nothin' you can do about it....what're you gonna do?

That's why it continues.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
That is absolutely how it should work, and could work, if sites like Forbes accepted the responsibility that is theirs for making it so.

Your last sentence here and your post that follows illustrate the looking the other way that I spoke of. The throwing up your hands saying everybody does it....nothin' you can do about it....what're you gonna do?

That's why it continues.
Ok, what have YOU done about it? If I'm so complacent on the subject surely you must have lobbied or put in some kind of effort to change the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers