Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:00 AM

66 posts, read 268,865 times

Advertisements

does anyone know if the company that makes computers emachine is good??

i'm looking to buy a desktop for $500 including monitor & printer...any idea on this emachine?? i have never bought one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 03:53 PM

514 posts, read 1,669,803 times
IMO they make a pretty decent budget computer, I believe the yare made by Gateway. Which model are you looking at?

Old 02-18-2008, 03:57 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,705 times
Just like every computer manufacturer. Some people have great luck other people it ends in disaster.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:40 PM

170 posts, read 581,764 times
We have had an emachine for 6 years now and its still going pretty good, albeit a little slow(it really cannot run more than 2 programs at once and it doesn't like to open files in windows media player) but we have been happy with it. I have done a good job of keeping it clean though. I think that can make all the difference. Good Luck!

Old 02-19-2008, 10:35 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,505,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softtail_Honey View Post
We have had an emachine for 6 years now and its still going pretty good, albeit a little slow(it really cannot run more than 2 programs at once and it doesn't like to open files in windows media player) but we have been happy with it. I have done a good job of keeping it clean though. I think that can make all the difference. Good Luck!
its 6 years old!

Emachines had HUGE quality issues when they first emerged. I am not awareof what they're up to recently.

For $500-$600, you can buy a laptop from HP, Dell or Toshiba, who all have good quality records, and great customer service.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
its 6 years old!

Emachines had HUGE quality issues when they first emerged. I am not awareof what they're up to recently.

For $500-$600, you can buy a laptop from HP, Dell or Toshiba, who all have good quality records, and great customer service.
Got it in January of 2001.............okay 7 then. I have spyware blaster, crap cleaner, adaware, spybot s & d, avg anti virus, spy ad and kerio personal firewall that I use regularily. I'm a clean freak with my puter. ha ha
In December of 2006 I did my first and only system restore(puter didn't like some new software).

Old 02-20-2008, 06:46 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,641 times
Remember that you get what you pay for. It really all depends on what you are looking to use your computer for. Basic internet surfing? Excellent! Playing advanced video games and doing advanced graphical design? Better keep a fire extinguisher around!

Old 02-21-2008, 08:36 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softtail_Honey View Post
How much RAM? How much free hard drive space? Adding RAM can significantly increase the speed of a computer depending on the OS. It will also aid in the ability to open multiple programs.

If you haven't upgraded I'd guess Windows Me and 128MB RAM.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:43 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angela828 View Post
does anyone know if the company that makes computers emachine is good??

i'm looking to buy a desktop for $500 including monitor & printer...any idea on this emachine?? i have never bought one...
If you purchase an eMachine (I wouldn't), open the case and check the power supply. If it is a Bestec, buy a different one and replace it. Bestecs are well known for blowing up and taking the motherboard with them.

Check Walmart, Office Depot, Office Max, Sams Club, Costco, Circuit City, American and Best Buy for sales on for Dell, Toshiba, HP, Compaq. You'd be better off. I'm not a fan of emachines or Gateway. I've opened up too many with fried parts to have a comfort level.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
How much RAM? How much free hard drive space? Adding RAM can significantly increase the speed of a computer depending on the OS. It will also aid in the ability to open multiple programs.

If you haven't upgraded I'd guess Windows Me and 128MB RAM.
Running WindowsXP(and WinXP was just released when we bought this computer) with SP2
256mb ram
26gb of free hard drive space
No upgrades
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers