Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:52 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times

Advertisements

Ok, I purchased a new computer.

Next step would be to put all of my files from my old computer onto a cd, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 10:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
If they fit on a CD or two, that's an option. A better option for most people is to copy them to a USB flash drive or hard drive depending on how much data there is. Even if you have to buy a USB drive for the purpose of moving your data to the new computer, you'll have it to use as a backup for your data.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:54 PM

905 posts, read 2,401,048 times
First, I'd reformat to a fresh install of you OS of choice. Oftentimes buying computers at stores, they load them up with bloatware which can affect your PCs performance by 25% right out of the box.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:51 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,311 times
A less drastic step would be to just uninstall the bloatware. Most PCs don't ship with an install copy of the OS - I'm assuming the OP bought a Windows box. If you restore from the restore disc (if you even have one) that just puts all the bloatware back. And PCs usually come with some useful software that would be lost if you just reformat right off the bat.

If you have both computers up and running, you may be able to set up an ad-hoc network between the two computers using an ethernet cable and transfer files that way. Or if they are both wireless you can get them on a home network and do the same thing. This is a much more efficent way of transferring large files. But if you don't have a lot of photos, movies, and other large files, it's probably just as easy to do the transfer with a usb drive.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:35 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
I have a external hard drive that I am shifting everything to, to put on my new computer, even have my favorite internet links and address book (email) on there... That is the simplest way I think.. A 1 TB external is SO cheap now and great to just store things on in case of a computer crash!

Old 04-03-2009, 11:16 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Ok, I purchased a new computer.

Next step would be to put all of my files from my old computer onto a cd, correct?
One common sense way to do that is to use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard that comes with Windows.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:19 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
I have a external hard drive that I am shifting everything to, to put on my new computer, even have my favorite internet links and address book (email) on there... That is the simplest way I think.. A 1 TB external is SO cheap now and great to just store things on in case of a computer crash!
That doesn't really help you if your only copy is on that external drive. Its still a hard drive and it can and will die and take your data with it. Keep your data on your internal drive and make a backup copy on the external.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:33 PM

830 posts, read 2,860,838 times
After you get your personal files transferred over, also be sure you install a good firewall, good antivirus, and also good spyware/malware detector. You can get some very good stuff for free.

I use NOD32 for antivirus, it isn't free, but of all I've used I like it the best by far.
I use Comodo for my firewall. I used to use Zone Alarm, but it was a nightmare when I switched to Vista and never could figure out the conflict, so I scrapped it and switched to Comodo and love it.
Then I run Spybot S&D and Adware on a regular basis.
I also downloaded a great program called Crap Cleaner, CCleaner for short. It goes through and deletes all of the temp and other junk files Windows collects for you. If you don't run it for a while, you can eliminate sometimes up to a gig of worthless data. It also cleans up your registry, like after you uninstall a program that doesn't totally clean itself up.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:21 PM

905 posts, read 2,401,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
A less drastic step would be to just uninstall the bloatware.
Alas, it's not always so simple, as the bloatware is all over your PC and simply clicking uninstall will not take away it all. I would think it's easier and probably faster to do a clean install. You press OK a handful of times while you can sit and watch a game or something on tv. Meh seems easier to me, and you are assured of an adware free install.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:20 AM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
A less drastic step would be to just uninstall the bloatware.
That leaves stray registry entries which can slow down boot times. Even utilities like CCleaner won't completly remove them. Formatting then using a clean Windows install disk (not the one from the vendor) is the best way to do it.

To the OP, use a USB drive. They are quicker than burning to a CD and can hold a lot more data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers