Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 12:08 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Your processor isn't that far from current specs. You might be better served by updating your video card, if gaming is the priority. Your other tasks aren't putting much demand on the processor.
I just put in an NVIDIA 1050 Ti. (It came overclocked). Not an awesome GPU to gamers I guess but affordable and good enough for me.

I discovered the chip cannot be overclocked (Not K).

However once i re-installed windows 10 everything is working great. I have no complaints about the speed. The windows 8 - 10 upgrade that was running was creating a lot of problems. Reinstalling Win 10 for a clean install of the complete program rather than an update seems to have fixed everything.

I do play computer games some, but most are not that demanding except for Civilization VI and that runs very well on this computer. On my old computer, late in the game, take a turn, go make a cup of tea, come back wait wait wait, make another turn. I usually just quit and started a new game. It gets pretty complex later in the game because there is so much to keep track of. However it runs great on this system now.

I occasionally play some more video oriented games with my son, but it is rare enough that i do not need to try to improve the speed just for those occasions.

Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 07:35 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
The big thing for overclocking is the MB as others have mentioned - the chipset determines capabilities.

If it's an "H", or "B", then it can't be overclocked by changing the clock multiplier. E.g. H61.

If it's a "Z" or "X", then it can, assuming you have a "K" CPU. E.g. Z79.

There are generally 2 ways of overclocking Sandy Bridge CPUs (the 2600K you mention). Through increasing the clock multiplier, and increasing the base clock. Unless you know what you're doing, leave the base clock alone.

Finally, aside from the chipset there is also the need for the BIOS to support overclocking. Major PC manufacturers may limit this functionality in mainstream boards, reserving them for "enthusiast" PCs.

If it's a 2600 as you mention in your last post, you're very limited. But it's still a competitive CPU for all but the most demanding tasks.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The big thing for overclocking is the MB as others have mentioned - the chipset determines capabilities.

If it's an "H", or "B", then it can't be overclocked by changing the clock multiplier. E.g. H61.

If it's a "Z" or "X", then it can, assuming you have a "K" CPU. E.g. Z79.

There are generally 2 ways of overclocking Sandy Bridge CPUs (the 2600K you mention). Through increasing the clock multiplier, and increasing the base clock. Unless you know what you're doing, leave the base clock alone.

Finally, aside from the chipset there is also the need for the BIOS to support overclocking. Major PC manufacturers may limit this functionality in mainstream boards, reserving them for "enthusiast" PCs.

If it's a 2600 as you mention in your last post, you're very limited. But it's still a competitive CPU for all but the most demanding tasks.
Thank you. I understood some of that.

I think i will leave it alone It seems to run well and reasonably fast. I will ask my son to show me how to make certain the bios is set to turbo. That seems pretty safe since it is built in.

I have noticed more recently that it does get a little slow during AI turns late in the game in my favorite game (Civilization VI), but it is like 30 seconds or a minute rather then the 10 minutes or even 20 at times from my former computer. Also with the old computer, the graphics would get a bolluxed up late in the game, especially when it was showing waves and ships on the ocean parts. Sometimes it would lock up. A 30 second or 1 minute wait with no freezing up, is terrific by comparison.

I was surprised to discover the level I need both processor and GPU to get DX12. I do not know what it is, but many games seem to require it (Including CIV VI). You have to spend a lot of money to get a computer just to run these games.

This game is ridiculous it seems in processor and graphics demands since it does not have video movement like the shooter games, driving games to sports games. I am not sure why. It is pretty complicated. Maybe it is also inefficient.

As mentioned I may play some other games with my youngest son that might have substantial video demands, but if he can play them with an NVIDIA 2 gig 980 (or whatever it is), I should be able to play too with a 4 gig 1050. He does have a slightly more powerful processor I think, plus he has everything overclocked which is I think why he has so many cooling issues. (See this little adventure taught me something).

However I am not interested in paying $500 or more just to replace a working computer so I can play one or two games a little bit faster. I needed either a replacement computer or, apparently a new motherboard in my old computer anyway, so I do not mind spending $250 for an upgraded computer. It would cost me that much or nearly so just to repair or replace without an upgrade.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:28 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
First of all CIV6 is a demanding game on a video card. Because you aren't driving or running around means nothing. It's a beautiful game when rendered on a proper card.

Second, your 'clock speed' is the least of your issues. How much RAM do you have? That helps Civ6 cache more info. That's what slows you down in the later stages.

Third: your son's 980? That thing smokes your 1050. RAM is not the main factor for a video card. The 980 was the high end card to have a few years ago...it was over $500 at retail at launch.

Old 12-25-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
First of all CIV6 is a demanding game on a video card. Because you aren't driving or running around means nothing. It's a beautiful game when rendered on a proper card.

Second, your 'clock speed' is the least of your issues. How much RAM do you have? That helps Civ6 cache more info. That's what slows you down in the later stages.

Third: your son's 980? That thing smokes your 1050. RAM is not the main factor for a video card. The 980 was the high end card to have a few years ago...it was over $500 at retail at launch.
I have 16 gb of ram. That seems to be enough. I cannot fit any more unless I get the really expensive RAM cards. Unless you mean the video card, it has 4 GB of ram.

My younger son did some research and said the two cards are about the same performance wise. Factor of time. However his card still sells for over $200.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:55 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times
if its starting to lag over time. .Heat could be the issue. Check your fans. Try to disable your AV.. 980s still good today so doubt the GPU is your lag.. seems to be CPU or some software eating up your HD speed.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:28 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I have 16 gb of ram. That seems to be enough. I cannot fit any more unless I get the really expensive RAM cards. Unless you mean the video card, it has 4 GB of ram.

My younger son did some research and said the two cards are about the same performance wise. Factor of time. However his card still sells for over $200.
Then he doesn't have a 980 or doesn't know what he's talking about. A 1050 Ti is about equivalent to a 960. I certainly wouldn't upgrade RAM. I actually only have 8 GB in my computer (i5 4690K, GTX 9070) as I was on a tight budget when I built it. For gaming 8 GB is still fine, although there's a few titles that do benefit from 16 GB slightly. Also nice if you want to keep your 43 chrome tabs open and alt tab back and forth between gaming and your browser. 32 GB is of no use to anyone except people doing content creation or running multiple VMs or similar.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:55 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Agree. A 980 can do Virtual Reality. A 1050 cannot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers