Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 01:56 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I've never had a problem with any Microsoft update. Mine is set to auto update and it just happens.
Glad to hear that - may your good fortune continue.

I, however, will NEVER forget the update that killed my brand new Lenovo laptop about 3 years ago. Yes, KILLED, as in....would never boot again. Spent hours on the phone with multiple tech support people and no one could salvage it. Fortunately, Best Buy was great and allowed me to swap for my current HP laptop despite my being a week or so past their normal return time frame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 06:29 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Hmmmm....

My father was born in 1904 and I do not recall him ever mentioning a Microsoft update.
He WAS the 1903 update, just rolled out a year behind schedule!

Old 08-30-2019, 09:11 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Lol!!!!

He was adopted so there's probably another good line here, but i
I can't figure out what it would be.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:32 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
At least everyone has a sense of humor! I was a beta tester for Windows 10 years back when the disaster of Windows 8 was in vogue. When someone says Windows 10 1903, they're talking about the version of Windows 10 that was due to be released in March 2019. Unfortunately, it had some "bugs" and wasn't released until late May of 2019 ...(and the Sun rises in the East, too! )

Guess what folks? The new version of Windows 10 will arrive in late September or early October ...version 1909. The first 2 digits are the year, the next two indicate the month. Thankfully, you can now delay its installation on your computer, courtesy of version 1903.

Every second Tuesday of every month is known as Patch Tuesday. If you check the Update and Security icon in Settings after about 2 PM EST that day, you'll probably see a few fixes like Cumulative Update for that month and Windows Malicious Software Patch and maybe a driver and virus definition update. After you install them, you generally have to re-boot your computer.

I have 11 laptops of various ages and brands. When 1909 comes out, I'll put it on 2 or 3 and see how things go. I'll be happy to let you all know if there are any major problems.

Elnina - it sounds like you have a Microsoft Surface Go or Pro model. I hope you solve your mouse problem. It may take a BIOS upgrade to fix that problem. Surface products are very nice and pricey, but occasionally have a glitch that regular, cheaper laptops manage to avoid. Best of luck!

Old 09-01-2019, 12:31 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Hmmmm....

My father was born in 1904 and I do not recall him ever mentioning a Microsoft update.
Had to rep you on that one.

Got to keep a sense of humor, especially when dealing with
companies that find shaking down their customers to be
a good business model.

Old 09-01-2019, 07:51 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
He WAS the 1903 update, just rolled out a year behind schedule!
Or on schedule. The 1903 update (May) is still incompatible with some versions of the Surface line such as mine (Surface Book 2). A year behind schedule is just Microsoft timeline for their own products. In car terms, Surface devices are sort of like British sports cars. I put up with it but... how many other just over 4 pound mid-range gaming laptops have good displays and real world (light usage) 12 hour battery life? On the other hand my original Surface Book was just a paperweight for nine months which is how look it took Microsoft to figure out how to stop them from randomly turning off 2-3 times a day. British sports cars. Going on two years now. It's unfathomable to me that they haven't developed a charger capable of powering their own product in that time. Instead they just aggressively throttle everything so you don't drain the battery. Fortunately that's easily disabled but then you have to keep an eye on the battery as you're sucking down the juice rapidly before all sorts of fun things happen when the GPU suddenly turns off mid workflow.

Great product in many ways, confounding in others. Not many laptops have the cooling to indefinitely boost and draw 30 watts on a 25 watt TDP processor. On the other hand I've never seen any other laptop that just shuts off because they forgot to include a large enough AC adapter.

Last edited by Malloric; 09-01-2019 at 08:10 PM..

Old 09-03-2019, 05:54 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
No issues this time. Sigh of relief.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:47 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
No issues this time. Sigh of relief.
Yes, this one went refreshingly well....at least for many of us. I even like a couple of the subtle changes. I have noticed, though, that my audio level seems to be down on some sites. In some cases, turning it to max is not even really enough and I don't recall experiencing that before. I'm going to look into drivers to see what may have been done in that area.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:38 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I got it. Since getting the "update", browsing is about half speed. The mouse doesn't work right. It turned off all of the sound settings and just canned them. It's a real pain in the.....you know. Typical Microcrap. You'd think they'd test this stuff before sending it out. Best news though, the wife is just about to retire from her IT job and she's going to have a new desktop sent to me with NO Swindows on it. Don't think you can get Swindows on a Mac anyway. It will be a great day when there's zero Swindows in my house.
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I don't think it's typical.

On rare occasions I hired a guy to come to my house to fix computer glitches. He was well respected in the community, and it's what he did for a living, and supported his family that way for over a decade. Big house, fancy car. His business was doing fine.

One day I asked him how often a Windows update went so bad for anyone that the computer had a major malfunction. His answer -- never in his 10 years. Minor glitches...yes. But when I consider how many thousands of different brands and models of hardware and software Windows has to handle...I'm surprised it isn't more.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:02 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I don't think it's typical.

On rare occasions I hired a guy to come to my house to fix computer glitches. He was well respected in the community, and it's what he did for a living, and supported his family that way for over a decade. Big house, fancy car. His business was doing fine.

One day I asked him how often a Windows update went so bad for anyone that the computer had a major malfunction. His answer -- never in his 10 years. Minor glitches...yes. But when I consider how many thousands of different brands and models of hardware and software Windows has to handle...I'm surprised it isn't more.
You also have to look at the various different editions of Windows (Home, Pro, Pro Workstation, Enterprise, LTS, etc). In many cases - the impact may be to a service/application that is only available to the higher tiers. I believe 1903 was the one that initially caused issues with the remote access/VPN capabilities for the Enterprise version.

And "major" is subjective. At the time, I think they were talking about tens of millions of computers. Is that a lot? Is it a lot when you consider the install base of W10 is about 800 million? This issue would have had zero impact to home users. But if you are an organization that has 10K laptops, this is certainly a major issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers