Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 09:55 AM

82 posts, read 259,910 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of comments being made about Vista, but out of all the negative comments how many of you have actually run Vista on a machine that can use it correctly? Trying to take a machine built in 2001 (for example) and run Vista on it isn't the way to test it out.

I am in the computer IT world. I build computers, maintain small business networks and repair machines for a living. I currently have 1 XP machine and 2 Vista machines.

I have found that Vista works just as nice if not nicer (as it CAN take advantage of the new hardware coming out) than XP.

Try looking here:The Mojave Experiment

Most of the people in that add are like most of the people I speak to on a daily basis. They are typically going off what 'so and so' said about Vista. The OS itself runs just fine on any newer machine that exceeds the min requirements.

For those that HAVE tried it in this thread, can you give me a REAL reason why you don't like it? As in an example of when it crashed or didn't work for what you needed it to do?

In no way am I pushing Vista on people but to see a hate thread like this with very very few actual reasons why it such a bad OS is kinda silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 10:11 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
I run Vista on my home theater system, but that's it. The rest of the desktops in the house are running some flavor of XP.

I don't see myself using Vista on the desktop in the future unless it's absolutely necessary for business purposes. We deal with some government entities that require IE to use their websites, but IE will run under wine - no Windows needed.

Windows XP will be supported until 2014, so unless other software publishers stop supporting it, there won't be any reason for me to look at another OS for quite some time.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:36 PM

526 posts, read 1,059,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I run Vista on my home theater system, but that's it. The rest of the desktops in the house are running some flavor of XP.

I don't see myself using Vista on the desktop in the future unless it's absolutely necessary for business purposes. We deal with some government entities that require IE to use their websites, but IE will run under wine - no Windows needed.

Windows XP will be supported until 2014, so unless other software publishers stop supporting it, there won't be any reason for me to look at another OS for quite some time.
they will in about a year
once windows 7 comes out there is no need to support xp
the reason 2000 is supported is because XP runs on the same architecture so its easy to provide a driver
once win 7 comes out it will be easier for just vista and 7 since they will run on mostly the same architecture
and XP will be lost in the dust unless a miracle happens and vendors decide to keep providing drivers
look at hp's website its hard to find an XP driver for a new machiene that has been downgraded

Old 09-29-2008, 10:37 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,672,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualevo View Post
I see a lot of comments being made about Vista, but out of all the negative comments how many of you have actually run Vista on a machine that can use it correctly? Trying to take a machine built in 2001 (for example) and run Vista on it isn't the way to test it out.

I am in the computer IT world. I build computers, maintain small business networks and repair machines for a living. I currently have 1 XP machine and 2 Vista machines.

I have found that Vista works just as nice if not nicer (as it CAN take advantage of the new hardware coming out) than XP.

Most of the people in that add are like most of the people I speak to on a daily basis. They are typically going off what 'so and so' said about Vista. The OS itself runs just fine on any newer machine that exceeds the min requirements.

For those that HAVE tried it in this thread, can you give me a REAL reason why you don't like it? As in an example of when it crashed or didn't work for what you needed it to do?

In no way am I pushing Vista on people but to see a hate thread like this with very very few actual reasons why it such a bad OS is kinda silly.
I have been using Vista since July 2007. Generally, I like it but there are a couple of things that bug me. First of all, every once in awhile Windows Explorer will shut itself down after giving you a warning (this comes and goes and usually happens after automatic updates). Also, using IE8 (even when emulating IE7) some features do not work on this forum. Such as, can't use the Edit status (even after following recommended settings by Admin), and can't edit posted messages unless I use the simplest editing feature on this forum. Also, I can't log on to my 401K site, but can with FireFox.
BTW: My computer was bought in July 2007, have plenty of speed and ram.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:40 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,461,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
I have been using Vista since July 2007. Generally, I like it but there are a couple of things that bug me. First of all, every once in awhile Windows Explorer will shut itself down after giving you a warning (this comes and goes and usually happens after automatic updates). Also, using IE8 (even when emulating IE7) some features do not work on this forum. Such as, can't use the Edit status (even after following recommended settings by Admin), and can't edit posted messages unless I use the simplest editing feature on this forum. Also, I can't log on to my 401K site, but can with FireFox.
BTW: My computer was bought in July 2007, have plenty of speed and ram.
Isn't IE8 still in beta?

Old 09-30-2008, 05:32 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,006,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Isn't IE8 still in beta?
Yes it is

Old 09-30-2008, 05:39 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,006,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualevo View Post

Your job is pretty similare to mine (been in IT for 15 years), and I am not impressed with Vista, and do not recommend it in our corporate environments. I tried it on my home box, didn't like it, tried on my work box, didn't like it even more, too many quirks. Server 2008 however runs like a dream on my work box, configured as close to Vista as I can get it and it runs beautifully.
My game box isn't high end, P4 3.2 hyperthread, 3GB RAM, Nvidia 6800, 2x 250GB in a stripped array, but it's easilly capable of runing Vista, it just causes too many issues with my games, I'd rather be playing than troubleshooting. I've had clients buy laptops with Vista only to have us format and load XP because they have problems with performance or other issues.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:12 AM

82 posts, read 259,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Your job is pretty similare to mine (been in IT for 15 years), and I am not impressed with Vista, and do not recommend it in our corporate environments. I tried it on my home box, didn't like it, tried on my work box, didn't like it even more, too many quirks. Server 2008 however runs like a dream on my work box, configured as close to Vista as I can get it and it runs beautifully.
My game box isn't high end, P4 3.2 hyperthread, 3GB RAM, Nvidia 6800, 2x 250GB in a stripped array, but it's easilly capable of runing Vista, it just causes too many issues with my games, I'd rather be playing than troubleshooting. I've had clients buy laptops with Vista only to have us format and load XP because they have problems with performance or other issues.

Your key in your entire post was 'causes too many issues with my games'... Yep it sure will. Vista is NOT for gamers, not yet anyway. If you aren't playing Crysis or the like and taking advantage of the DX10, stay clear of vista.

For small business networks I can go either way. My clients have never had an issue once it is set up. The largest issue with vista is the resources it takes to run it. Most computers that you buy in a bigbox store should NOT have vista installed on them! They can't handle it.

I'm not saying vista is the way to go nor will I ever push it on anyone. I just don't like seeing people say it is horrid when most of the time they haven't even played with it themselves.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:24 PM

534 posts, read 2,409,090 times
For those of you with XP but want to update your looks a little bit, try doing a search for 'vista inspirat'. I'm normally very non gadety with my computers. For whatever reason, i've installed this little thing on most of my computers now and really like the 'vistaish' look and feel of the xp machines.(I leave out the Mac dock bar however). My work machine I terminal into all the time, had an odd issue and I ended up uninstalling it. But my laptop, several home computers, and friends computers have been running it for a while now with no issues or drop in speed/issues.

I guarantee I could get Vista running/tweaked acceptably on my nice powerful work machine. I don't own anything that I could install it on otherwise. I rely on this machine way to much to experiment on it however.
I cannot tweak/playwith/pray for the 1000 machines at work to work right. They currently work acceptably with xp and are remaining on xp for the near future. The last 2 years computers were bought with vista/vista ready and running really well on xp obviously.

To whoever said about the memory requirements of xp being 512. When it first came out, it ran acceptably on 128. With each service pack the memory requirements for reasonable performance has gone up (in addition to the amount of stuff we typically pack onto our machines). Now 512 is the min I would run on one, 1 gig being preferred. I have run vista on test machines (we had a test group for a while) that were sold with vista with 'less than reasonable' speed/reliability/training issues. I simply don't have the time to tweak/play with all the machines and apps we currently run to make them work right. One day we will be forced to do just that. About 150 apps. I can hardly wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers