Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 10:32 PM

38,897 posts, read 22,885,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
My favorite Anti-Vista Video!

YouTube - Vista install in 2 minutes
OMG!!!! Hahahahaha---I LOVE IT!!!!

My home is a No-Vista zone. Both my computers have Windows XP and neither machine has ever given me any grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 10:40 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
You actually think M$ is going to bring out a stable OS in two years ? Have you seen the history of the M$OS ? Each new OS is more flowery and graphicly enhanced thenthe other. Each one is more annoying than the other, each one is more restrictive than the other, each one is just terrible. Now I am no Vista fan, knor and I an XP fan but anybody who thinks that the promise of a new OS is going to be the holy grail for MS has another thing coming IMHO. You are not going to be able to stick it on your current PC, no more thanyou can run Vista good on an XP machine. Just get Vista. I have problems with it, no more than I did with XP though. I really see no difference once I disable all the BS functions as I did with XP.
My Win 98 machine ran ok on 128MB
My Win2k machine ran ok on 128
XP machine needed 512 to run the OS
Vista 2 gig to run the OS and browse normal.
M$'s next projec, probably gonna be a 4 gig machine I can guess, see the pattern ?

Do yourselves a pattern and experiment with Linux. Your hardware dosent need to be as good as it does with Windows, but its great on it too. I use PCLinuxOS PCLinuxOS . You can run it from the CD and its free. You dont have to worry about Microsoft thinking you have a bad copy and disabling your PC.

I have made more of an effort to try Linux than I have in the past and loving it.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080429 PCLinuxOS/2.0.0.14-1pclos2007 (2007) Firefox/2.0.0.14

Old 05-07-2008, 12:21 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,418,690 times
I have three machines, one Vista, one XP and one mac. I love vista, never had a single problem with it, and I have had it installed since release day.

You do need more computer to run it, like most new programs, you need more juice to run them. It is progress. I remember when I could fit a single game on my machine with its 5mb, yes 5 MB!!! hard drive. now you are hard pressed to find a machine with anything less than an 80gb + hard drive. This is how the computer world works, and how it will always work.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:23 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i purchased vista and tried to return it. awful. off the shelf software that should not be taken off the shelf.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:08 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
You actually think M$ is going to bring out a stable OS in two years ? Have you seen the history of the M$OS ? Each new OS is more flowery and graphicly enhanced thenthe other. Each one is more annoying than the other, each one is more restrictive than the other, each one is just terrible. Now I am no Vista fan, knor and I an XP fan but anybody who thinks that the promise of a new OS is going to be the holy grail for MS has another thing coming IMHO. You are not going to be able to stick it on your current PC, no more thanyou can run Vista good on an XP machine. Just get Vista. I have problems with it, no more than I did with XP though. I really see no difference once I disable all the BS functions as I did with XP.
My Win 98 machine ran ok on 128MB
My Win2k machine ran ok on 128
XP machine needed 512 to run the OS
Vista 2 gig to run the OS and browse normal.
M$'s next projec, probably gonna be a 4 gig machine I can guess, see the pattern ?

Do yourselves a pattern and experiment with Linux. Your hardware dosent need to be as good as it does with Windows, but its great on it too. I use PCLinuxOS PCLinuxOS . You can run it from the CD and its free. You dont have to worry about Microsoft thinking you have a bad copy and disabling your PC.

I have made more of an effort to try Linux than I have in the past and loving it.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080429 PCLinuxOS/2.0.0.14-1pclos2007 (2007) Firefox/2.0.0.14
Excellent post!

I've used PCLinux OS 2007 which is an RPM based distro - but my tastes are towards the .deb distros - just my choice.

Remember - I have the patent on CD with using "M$" as I was the first to use it - lol!

Old 05-07-2008, 08:27 AM

hehe, maybe we can split the royalties ?

Old 05-07-2008, 10:53 AM
BCW

84 posts, read 283,576 times
I never saw any clear and compelling reasons why Vista is superior to XP. Even the ad campaign was missing that aspect. I did buy a laptop with Vista pre-installed to check it out, and all-in-all it was a very disappointing experience and the laptop now serves as a doorstop. The pc was fine, the OS made it look bad. The stability was poor at best, H&S vendors were slow to put out compatibility updates, or never did at all. The costs for hardware and software upgrades required to run Vista are daunting. I have thousands of dollars of XP compatible software, and in too many cases i'd need to entirely replace the apps for Vista! All that cost - for what gain? Questionable memory management, too intrusive security, dubious Dx10, and i loved the way Vista hamstrung the audio hardware.

Personally, i see several good reasons not to switch to Vista, but no good reason to switch to Vista. Msft is clearly out of touch with customer needs/demands, imo. If Vista is any indication of where they're headed, well, i'm not interested. I am, however, for the first time, taking a hard look at Linux, now that seems promising. Its likely that it will be my next OS when XP begins to fail my needs.

I also built a brandy new gaming rig in early spring, and i paid $200USD for a new copy of XP w/sp2. Sure, it easily exceeds Vista's hardware requirements so i could have used either. But, that's how firmy i believe in what i say.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:38 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Microsoft ad slogan: Taking over the world, one computer at a time.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:29 AM

Theyre not taking over the world one computer at a time, you still have to buy it. There are options out there.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:15 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
Actually some other reasons are:

A good amount of programs not by large corporations have difficulties running on vista

A significant amount of drivers for printers and other accessories don't work on vista.

Microsoft has always released a new OS about every 3 or 4 years. The fact that they are releasing another is just essentially pointing out the obvious. Also, Gates' time predictions are almost always wrong, and it takes longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers