Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 12:43 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
Is that with an AMD processor?
Haha I've always had weird issues with AMD systems over the years. I blame the motherboard chipsets. I've been running NT kernel systems since NT4.0 and haven't noticed any difference in stability between NT4, Win2k, WinXP, and Vista. Put them on decent hardware, don't load crapware on them, and they're all equally stable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 02:55 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,656 times
I like XP but i imagine you have to get Vista at some point because they..
Will no longer provide security updates for XP.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I like XP but i imagine you have to get Vista at some point because they..
Will no longer provide security updates for XP.
That'll probably be a while. I believe 2000 is still getting security updates even though there hasn't been a service pack in years and some add-ons like IE and Windows media player can't be brought fully up to date. I'm sure XP will still be updated for at least another 5 years. But by then, who would want it?

Old 11-24-2008, 03:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
I can't count the number of problems I've had with Vista: random crashes; a blank window opening on startup for no apparent reason; randomly waking up from hibernation; having the "Network and Sharing" explorer window just go completely blank, for which the only "fix" is to reboot the goddamned thing; perodically dropping wi-fi connectivity, again for which the only fix is a reboot; Periodically failing to recognize my internal wi-fi card (I have to keep a USB wi-fi device around as a backup); sometimes waking up from hibernation with a different screen resolution, which messes up the arrangement of my desktop icons; sound drivers have simply disappeared twice now; shutdown takes anywhere from 30 seconds to 20 minutes; probably a dozen more little tics and quirks I can't think of off the top of my head.

This is easily the best user interface Windows has produced in terms of useful feature content ease of use. Stability, on the other hand, has not been its strong suit in my experience.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:30 PM

956 posts, read 3,002,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
That wouldn't help either since they'd probably be running some flavor of Unix which is even older than Microsoft or DOS.
Really? I thought a lot of them, like Cray, had a proprietary OS.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:32 PM

956 posts, read 3,002,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I can't count the number of problems I've had with Vista: random crashes; a blank window opening on startup for no apparent reason; randomly waking up from hibernation; having the "Network and Sharing" explorer window just go completely blank, for which the only "fix" is to reboot the goddamned thing; perodically dropping wi-fi connectivity, again for which the only fix is a reboot; Periodically failing to recognize my internal wi-fi card (I have to keep a USB wi-fi device around as a backup); sometimes waking up from hibernation with a different screen resolution, which messes up the arrangement of my desktop icons; sound drivers have simply disappeared twice now; shutdown takes anywhere from 30 seconds to 20 minutes; probably a dozen more little tics and quirks I can't think of off the top of my head.

This is easily the best user interface Windows has produced in terms of useful feature content ease of use. Stability, on the other hand, has not been its strong suit in my experience.
What's your hardware, and is it home-built?

Old 11-24-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Sounds like a hardware problem or some crappy software like Norton or McCrappy screwing things up. My Vista machines are just as stable as NT4, 2000, 2003, and XP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers