Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:41 AM

17 posts, read 32,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I suppose you could plug one of those into a modem port. I haven't used a modem for several years.
Yep . . . and with more and more laptops used wireless the RJ45 jack is going the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I didn't even look at the link, oops. I would seriously stay away from that thing, for the reason st33 stated, doesn't make much sense to sacrifice one port for another.
As I mentioned earlier, you really aren't sacrificing a port. We've never seen a broken RJ or USB port asa result of using the product.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
I have seen a similar thingamajig on someone's laptop at the airport. I don't know if it was a "Jerkstopper". Anyway, it took the whole laptop down, instead of just the power cord!!! I'm guessing because there were two points of attachments between the power cord and the laptop.
Nothing I know of is gonna save STUPID. Some power pin connections are so tight even without a cable retention device if you pitch your laptop down the road it's gonna get broken. From what we've seen at repair shops, usually when laptops fly, the screen, hinges and keyboard are the big losers.

Quote:
It was an accident waiting to happen. Clearly, it was the laptop owners fault for positioning himself at a location where people were moving about.

Maybe that's why they call it a "Jerkstopper". It clearly stopped him from using his crapped out notebook.
Nothing is gonna remedy STUPID...

Quote:
As an aside, have you guys seen the Magsafe feature on a Macbook? They don't even highlight this feature. MagSafe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, the power is attached to the Macbook via a "magnet-like" connection (haven't verified this) that when the wire is accidentally pulled, it just disconnects cleanly without causing any damage. I've also seen this happen a couple of times on a friend's Macbook. It works great. I hope other notebook makers adopt this way of attaching the power cord.
Maybe not the perfect answer ... Not sure if you know who Leo LaPorte is but he reviewed our product a year ago, even did a Podcast about it.

"They fall off, it pops out when your just sitting with the thing, it just kinda falls off. I use it (the JerkStopper) on my laptop all the time.
This is a very clever device. . .It really works!"

He uses a JerkStopper on his MagSafe equipped MAC (as does my wife) because the power cable tends to fall off at inappropriate times. It's a big enough issue that another comapany has come along and sells aretention device just for MACs. Problem is it blocks a port.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:41 AM

3,972 posts, read 5,164,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Jerk View Post
When we designed the JerkStoppers we spent a great deal of time testing the product. The RJ series are actually hollow inside so their isn't anything to actually damage a RJ port. We tried and failed to actually damage a port. The USB JerkStopper is a snug fit but will release with some pressure (more than a normal USB device).

With thousands of JerkStoppers in use we have yet to have even a single complaint about damage to a port. In testing I could carry a mid-size laptop around by the power cord without damaging wither the power pin or the RJ11 port.
Nothing to damage inside a RJ45 port? How about the small copper wires inside. Those are easily damaged and will ruin the port if bent. Same with a USB port. The plastic piece inside is easily broken.

Your product is another gimmick that will end up like thousands of other computer gimmicks. Good luck with your sales pitch though.

BTW, I have a hard time taking any advice from someone calling himself Tech Jerk that can't "figure out the "right way" to do the links".

Old 02-11-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Nothing to damage inside a RJ45 port? How about the small copper wires inside. Those are easily damaged and will ruin the port if bent. Same with a USB port. The plastic piece inside is easily broken.
Guess maybe you haven't actually seen the product ... It's hollow, nothing to contact the "small copper wires inside" so no damage possible. We tried.

Wanna sample?

Quote:
Your product is another gimmick that will end up like thousands of other computer gimmicks. Good luck with your sales pitch though.
Probably not (another gimmick) since it addresses a need ... just look at the cottage industry that has grown up repairing the damage to those pitifully designed little power pins. If it were a gimmick it wouldn't be sold by the guys (and gals) that fix those pins. If it were a gimmick it wouldn't be used by IT departments in the US, the UK and the Netherlands.

SMALL BUSINESS TECH . . .
The Jerk Stopper is a simple solution for a problem that should not even exist. The goal of the Jerk Stopper is to limit the damage to power plugs in notebook computers. I have seen many notebook computers with power plug damage due to someone tripping over a power cord and ripping the outlet from the computer. Most of the time the damage is extensive because manufacturers generally directly solder the plug to the computer main board.

Quote:
BTW, I have a hard time taking any advice from someone calling himself Tech Jerk that can't "figure out the "right way" to do the links".
Wasn't offering "advice" ... I guess if my moniker was ForumJerk I'd probably have figured it out. Sorry.

Last edited by Tech Jerk; 02-11-2009 at 11:23 AM..

Old 02-11-2009, 11:33 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
Had to get a new notebook, as the power jack on our old one was loose, and the cost to repair was not worth it.

So, I'm wondering if anyone is using a thing called the "Jerkstopper" on their Laptop to prevent power jack damage?

JerkStopper

marc
Seems like it would cause your whole laptop to fall off the desk instead of possibly damaging the cord. And on my laptop the modem port is close to the front, catty-corner from the power plug, so it would make my power cord a couple feet shorter (more or less, depending on what side of the computer the power outlet is located.

The cord on my Toshiba adapter detaches from the transformer as well as the power cord, and when I've tripped over it it detaches from the transformer pretty easily.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:26 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
When we designed the JerkStoppers we spent a great deal of time testing the product. The RJ series are actually hollow inside so their isn't anything to actually damage a RJ port. We tried and failed to actually damage a port. The USB JerkStopper is a snug fit but will release with some pressure (more than a normal USB device).

With thousands of JerkStoppers in use we have yet to have even a single complaint about damage to a port. In testing I could carry a mid-size laptop around by the power cord without damaging wither the power pin or the RJ11 port.
They why didn't you also give the option of using the hardened security slot present in most laptops, frequently on a rear corner.

I just don't have any comfort connecting this to any port that is possibly connected to the motherboard.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:44 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,147 times
Lmao......"jerkstopper" to prevent "power jack" damage. At first glance I thought this thread title was about something completely different.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:37 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,164,729 times
Quote:
Guess maybe you haven't actually seen the product ... It's hollow, nothing to contact the "small copper wires inside" so no damage possible. We tried.

Wanna sample?

Probably not (another gimmick) since it addresses a need ... just look at the cottage industry that has grown up repairing the damage to those pitifully designed little power pins. If it were a gimmick it wouldn't be sold by the guys (and gals) that fix those pins. If it were a gimmick it wouldn't be used by IT departments in the US, the UK and the Netherlands.

SMALL BUSINESS TECH . . .
The Jerk Stopper is a simple solution for a problem that should not even exist. The goal of the Jerk Stopper is to limit the damage to power plugs in notebook computers. I have seen many notebook computers with power plug damage due to someone tripping over a power cord and ripping the outlet from the computer. Most of the time the damage is extensive because manufacturers generally directly solder the plug to the computer main board.

Wasn't offering "advice" ... I guess if my moniker was ForumJerk I'd probably have figured it out. Sorry.
Every gimmick address a need. It just that gimmicks will disappear after they are found to be less valuable than the salesmen make them out to be. Yes it would be sold by people that repair those pins, it brings them more business. It clips into the jack (or as the website says "positive lock ports"). The jack will take the brunt of the abuse. You save a power jack at the sacrifice of another.

I support laptops in schools. Kids are not exactly gentle with them. Of all the calls I've been on that start with "A kid kicked the power cord out..." I have yet to replace a power pin. It is always the cord that gives first, they are designed that way anymore which is why manufacturers don't already implement some sort of power cord hold down on the laptops.

Oh gee, looky here. Plenty of other places seem to agree with the general consensus here.

JerkStopper: Sacrifices a USB Port to Save Power Connector | Gadget Lab from Wired.com

JerkStopper: Power cord “cable retention” for your laptop - Gadgetell

Bandung-Flasher.com GSM CDMA Cell Phone Repair Forum rd-in-place-does-little.html

OhGizmo! » Archive » JerkStoppers Not Quite As Elegant As MagSafe

Go ahead and keep trying to convince us though, it's funny in a sad way.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:03 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Good reason to buy a Mac. Yes, the connection is "magnetized."

I am stuck w/ an HP laptop w/ a loose power cord connection. Repair cost? $450 as the techs who looked at it said the connection had affected the mother board somehow. Anyway, as you can imagine, we opted to forego that repair.

I only wish I had known about the "jerkstopper" b/f that HP got screwed up. We have no clue why that cord/outlet suddenly came "loose" - no accidents. Just one day, it started seeming loose and then the power cut on and off for several days - then died. Now you can plug it up and there is not connectivity at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers