Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 06:05 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And it whines like a 4 year old in the toy aisle of Wal-Mart if you don't have a $400 high end video card installed.
Mine runs great with a $120.00 Sapphire in that 5 year old Leadtek mobo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 06:45 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
I meant that a default install of Vista (with no OEM bloatware) needs at least 2GB or RAM to run. Yeah you can go in and turn off a lot of the "features" and it will run on less, but for a fresh install you need 2GB.
Wrong. With no OEM crapware, one can get Vista running pretty comfortably with 1GB of RAM, especially if you turn off the sidebar. It wont be as snappy as XP but it will still run acceptably. Once you hit the 2GB mark, running XP because of system resources starts to make less and less sense. People today buying 4GB and 6GB systems and downgrading them to XP are just crazy.

Quote:
No OS should need 2GB just to boot to the desktop.
And Bill Gates said back in the '80s that nobody should ever use more than 640K of RAM. Times change.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:58 PM

41 posts, read 175,275 times
Last November, I got a brand new Gateway desktop with 8GB of RAM and Vista Home Premium 64 bit. The task manager tells me that once I get the desktop loaded, it is already using 2GB of RAM. That is far too much. It also came preloaded with 60GB of trial software. I uninstalled most of it--cut it back to 40GB. This thing alone runs as slow as my 8 year old HP running XP, Google Earth and iTunes.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:49 PM

905 posts, read 2,401,280 times
Xp is very stable. Vista is the junk OS because it's a resource hog and nothing seems to work right with it. XP has had plenty of time to be developed and it's one of the best they have ever released.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:53 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
Xp is very stable. Vista is the junk OS because it's a resource hog and nothing seems to work right with it. XP has had plenty of time to be developed and it's one of the best they have ever released.
Name some stuff that doesn't work with Vista. What version?

Old 04-16-2009, 08:10 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT85 View Post
Last November, I got a brand new Gateway desktop with 8GB of RAM and Vista Home Premium 64 bit. The task manager tells me that once I get the desktop loaded, it is already using 2GB of RAM. That is far too much. It also came preloaded with 60GB of trial software. I uninstalled most of it--cut it back to 40GB. This thing alone runs as slow as my 8 year old HP running XP, Google Earth and iTunes.
Format it and install a clean copy of Vista without all that trial junk. Get rid of Google Desktop Search if you haven't. You don't need it with Vista. Don't use Norton 360 either. Most of what Microsoft takes the blame for with Vista is actaully the fault of OEM bloatware, which is why MS already is planning on taking steps to get this crap under control on Windows 7 PCs to ensure a smoother launch. Vista itself should only need about 16GB worth of space for a fresh install. Even if you think you have uninstalled the trial software you can't completely get rid of it without a format. Vista will also use more memory because it doesn't store stuff in the paging file like XP did unless it really needs to. People who can't get Vista running smoothly with 8GB of RAM need to learn how to optimize a system.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:43 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
And Bill Gates said back in the '80s that nobody should ever use more than 640K of RAM. Times change.
He never said that. Look it up - he himself denied (not that he would never lie) it; and there is no source/citation of when/where that was quoted.

Although some quotes used the term 'base memory' ... which is also a bit different.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:37 AM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,864 times
Quote:
Wrong. With no OEM crapware, one can get Vista running pretty comfortably with 1GB of RAM, especially if you turn off the sidebar.
Isn't that what I said? If you take the time to go in and turn off all the "features" then it will run alright. However, a default install before turning off the stuff needs 2 GB to boot.

That's ridiculous.

Quote:
People today buying 4GB and 6GB systems and downgrading them to XP are just crazy.
Especially since XP won't see over 4GB.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:41 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Isn't that what I said? If you take the time to go in and turn off all the "features" then it will run alright. However, a default install before turning off the stuff needs 2 GB to boot.

That's ridiculous.
What's ridiculous is people complaining that an OS needs $20 worth of memory to run. Why don't you complain that it needs a $25 DVD-ROM instead of a $15 CD-ROM drive to install?

Old 04-16-2009, 12:49 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Format it and install a clean copy of Vista without all that trial junk. Get rid of Google Desktop Search if you haven't. You don't need it with Vista. Don't use Norton 360 either. Most of what Microsoft takes the blame for with Vista is actaully the fault of OEM bloatware, which is why MS already is planning on taking steps to get this crap under control on Windows 7 PCs to ensure a smoother launch. Vista itself should only need about 16GB worth of space for a fresh install. Even if you think you have uninstalled the trial software you can't completely get rid of it without a format. Vista will also use more memory because it doesn't store stuff in the paging file like XP did unless it really needs to. People who can't get Vista running smoothly with 8GB of RAM need to learn how to optimize a system.

Won't do any good to do a clean install. All the bloatware just comes along for the ride unless you want to pay anther chunk of change for an OS straight from MS, which seem a bit of overkill. Any PC from a major player has this crap in it's install, or at least the ones I've seen lately do. Once in a while you have the option of doing a "manual" install of some options and can sidestep the junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers