Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 09:21 AM

652 posts, read 1,785,738 times

Advertisements

I get the feeling there are some working sales reps and PR folk on this forum. Anyone else see this?

By "working" I mean the postings on here constitute doing their job of selling the product or trying to build up it's "good" name and attract customers.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:52 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Exactly "what" do you think you are being sold

You have asked a number of novice questions, people have responded with their advise and opinions. Most, if not all, of the recommendations given have been for FREE software, or FREE advise.

So where is the sales pitch you seem so offended about

Old 05-01-2009, 10:08 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
I'm not selling anything. However, I'll give away advice on this forum.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:14 AM

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Exactly "what" do you think you are being sold I didn't say I, was being sold anything.

You have asked a number of novice questions, people have responded with their advise and opinions. Most, if not all, of the recommendations given have been for FREE software, or FREE advise. I do not limit myself to reading only my own posts and the answers to them. My opinion that there are salesman on here is based on reading a lot of posts
So where is the sales pitch you seem so offended about
Where did I say I was offended? It seems you are offended by my observation and the attempt to engage in public conversation about it.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:21 AM

620 posts, read 2,084,305 times
Not me, nutleynut. I'm a technician in process controls.

I must confess, though. I used to sell computers back in the 80's. Sold all kinds; Eagles, KayPros, Panasonics, Amigas, Apples and a few others that I don't recall. Did it for over 5 years. It was fun.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:24 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
I have to admit that I too am curious. Specifically which posts seem like sales pitches? Asheville, Tek, NHDave, myself and others all work in technology jobs and post here to help other people and learn a little from each other at the same time. Are any of you guys trying to sell something? As for me, if I have something to sell, I'll be on eBay.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
Where did I say I was offended? It seems you are offended by my observation and the attempt to engage in public conversation about it.
A number of posters here have the expertise to help novices with questions, and do so without any thoughts of profit or sales, or anything but providing help to a person with a problem that is beyond them. Sometimes to provide accurate information it may take a little research to post a response. It is clear (at least to me) that several of those offering advise work in the IT industry on a daily basis, and are taking time to help someone. Then to be accused of having alternative motives of selling something is just out of line.

Don't like the advise of a specific person, add them to your ignore list. Don't like the advise in general in this forum, well seek advise elsewhere. You would find that myself, Tek, mensa, nhdave, EC, and others check in here because we have the skill sets and willingness to help others.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:35 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
By "working" I mean the postings on here constitute doing their job of selling the product or trying to build up it's "good" name and attract customers.
This is a huge and growing industry industry in India and other places that employs 100's of thousands. They get paid to post, it's commonly referred to as "comment spam" and is an issue on forums, blogs and anywhere people can leave messages. It's very hard to identify because they may actually engage in conversations. This makes up the majority of the crap you find.

Larger companies have been known to do it as well but on a much more professional basis.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is a huge and growing industry industry in India and other places that employs 100's of thousands. They get paid to post, it's commonly referred to as "comment spam" and is an issue on forums, blogs and anywhere people can leave messages. It's very hard to identify because they may actually engage in conversations. This makes up the majority of the crap you find.

Larger companies have been known to do it as well but on a much more professional basis.
Please provide actual examples of such activity in this forum, or quit posting crap that has nothing to do with anything that has occurred in this thread

Old 05-01-2009, 03:20 PM

Default veddy interesting :-{\>

Asheville I'm sympathetic to your sensitivity. And apologize for offending, but then you post angry things like the challenge to Coalman which makes me wonder if you aren't "Too" angry and offended. That is also an observation.
I have not named, nor do I intend to name anyone. My observation was that "I get the feeling" some people were in sales or PR. It describes the general impression I was left with at the end of the day. Nothing specific, just that impression. Persistant impressions like that are valid, insisting on specificity means to me you want something other than the discussion. You either want to confront someone or you want me to shut up. Both are out of line in this forum. If someone would admit to it how would you react? It isn't specifically disallowed if they are also dispensing good free information. It does violate the unspoken rule on forums that one be honest and up front about intent.

I know of and appreciate the voluntary helpers on here. It's called enlightened self interest. Being free and easy with the knowledge makes everyone more comfortable with something very complicated. This makes them more likely to participate by buying things and be able to avoid being ripped off. The deal is this provides growth to the industry and promotes human decency. This applies to all areas of life, where there is "mystery" there is corruption and deceit. Look at auto repair.
A counter model to the one playing out here would be the American auto industry and how they blocked out completely the way the competition took over the market. They kept on with a self made model and paid no attention to reality. Thus what they make is nothing like what most Americans buy. To paranoid and proud to change and try what they first ridiculed even as they lost over 70% of their industry to products they told themselves are inferior. "Pride goeth before the fall"

I only wanted to see if anyone would admit to it, I didn't expect such a negative response to the query. The negativity toward the question does not come accross as natural or reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers