Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 04:26 PM

9 posts, read 13,677 times

Advertisements

@adamz- I haven't been able to visit yet. I hope to in August. I have investigated some individual properties from Realtor.com using Google satellite images. To be honest, I absolutely did not want to leave the OH/western PA area but things being as they are, well- one does what one must. But looking into Connecticut, its apparent rural qualities are a huge consolation, even if we end up with less property than we would out here. There's an ever-encroaching sprawl in both my hometown and my spouse's, and it led to a mentality in us of "if you don't own it, don't expect it to stay green for long." But if this isn't as big a problem in the area, I think we'll gladly deal with less.

I'll try out Zillow, by the way; I wasn't aware of it, only Realtor.com. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 04:45 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,577,840 times
JChulkus - you might be fine on just a couple of acres too. Property is more expensive here, but in our search we have quite often found houses that are on an acre, but border state forest or town owned space so often times you will still have the privacy you want without having the actual land as part of your home.

just an example, our current home is only on a half acre, but we border wetlands (some woods and a stream) so we still have a bit of privacy behind out house even though we don't own that land so you may be lucky and find something like that. Just keep looking....

Old 07-08-2010, 10:03 AM

468 posts, read 524,090 times
To echo what UConn97 said, my house is on just about an acre, but there's 60 acres of undeveloped land behind it. Could it be developed some day? Yes, but it seems unlikely. I bet you can find a property that will give you the privacy you're looking for.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:44 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
In addition to the towns mentioned above, I would also look into Suffield. It's a large town with plenty of land, somewhat reasonable prices, and is adjacent to Enfield which has plenty of shopping plazas and a mall. I would think there is a decent public library, too. And you have grocery options all over the place in surrounding towns. It's only about 20-25 min from East Hartford, too. Property taxes aren't that bad either. It's also an airport town, so if you travel often, it's very convenient for catching a flight.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:36 PM

Continued thanks.

I will look into Suffield. Hopefully a drive up to Connecticut will help too.
From maps, it sure does look like a good portion of the area southeast of East Hartford is protected land, which is encouraging.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:45 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChulkus View Post
Continued thanks.

I will look into Suffield. Hopefully a drive up to Connecticut will help too.
From maps, it sure does look like a good portion of the area southeast of East Hartford is protected land, which is encouraging.
If you use Google Maps and use the Street View feature (by dragging the little yellow person icon onto the streets), it is a great way to get an idea for how certain areas and neighborhoods look. Of course, actually driving through there in real life is better.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:35 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Columbia, Lebanon, Willington, Mansfield and Woodstock would fit the bill nicely.

You can find 5+ acres for that $, it won't be easy but it's there. However, if you are just buying land for privacy sake, you may be wasting your money.

I'm on 2 acres, backed up to miles of woods that are watershed and pipeline never to be developed. I can walk out of my back door and keep going for hours. Just something to think about. Best of luck.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:07 AM

nep321; it hadn't occurred to me to try Street View here since not too long ago here only pretty built up areas had been covered. It's spread like a disease... fascinating and creepy all at once. But useful for this purpose, thanks. I'll "drive" around for a bit.

JViello; that sounds fantastic. In general, are people permitted on the state lands that border their properties? If so, then sign me up, fears assuaged.

We would like enough land for purposes of planting, having a small stand of woods to 'harvest' a bit, and potentially a head or two of livestock. I imagine we'll be surprised at how little one can manage that on though.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:58 AM

468 posts, read 524,090 times
Most of the "residential" zoning around here (Mansfield/ Willington) is actually zoned for mixed residential/ agricultural use, so a lot of people have goats or chickens or alpacas.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:41 PM

I am very glad to hear about the animal-friendly zoning. It was another concern of ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut