Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your Vote?
Hartford 2 18.18%
West Hartford 8 72.73%
Manchester 2 18.18%
South Windsor 1 9.09%
Another town not listed 1 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,402 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on buying a house soon, and I want to go with a duplex preferably so I can collect rent-income from one unit while living in the other.

My question is, where in Hartford county (or nearby towns) would be the best place to look? I'm looking for someplace where it won't be difficult to rent out the other unit in order to pay for most (or even all) of my mortgage payments, but also someplace that has good growth potential (for raising the value of the property).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 02:24 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Hartford, section 8. This way the state pays your fair market rent and not your tenants. After 10 years cash out. Done.

I hope this comes across with as much disdain as I typed it.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:22 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times
I know several people who are making good money buying multifamilies in Bristol.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:44 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,674,794 times
Voted for manchester because i know that is where people go to rent and not buy. The section 8 is always an idea though as well but the tenants you get might not treat the property so well.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:07 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
The reason that I voted for West Hartford is due to the number of people on this forum who are looking for great schools but cannot afford to buy a home in West Hartford, a town where rentals are not in huge abundance.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:21 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Tough choice. It really depends on your budget and where you can find the best house for your money. A well located home in Manchester might be a better buy than a poorly located home in West Hartford. I am not really sure what kind of multi-family you would find in South Windsor. I would also suggest checking out Glastonbury. Like West Hartford it has excellent schools and a lot of great shopping plus there are multi-families around. Jay

Old 07-21-2010, 09:29 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
If you don't mind renting to college kids/grad students, check out a college town. Middletown (Wesleyan University), New Britain (CCSU), Hartford/West Hartford (U Hartford, Trinity), New Haven/Hamden (Quinnipiac, SCSU, Albertus Magnus, Yale), etc.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:30 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,830,727 times
If you are seeking side by side duplexes they seem to be rare in Conn. I know of a few enclaves of side by sides in Rocky Hill, Weathersfield, Middletown, and Glastonbury.

If you are seeking up & down i.e. 1st, 2nd, 3rd floor multi's those are easily found.

The suggestions of towns with good school systems is good. Since some people can't afford to buy in those towns, but can afford rent.

Blue collar towns like Manchester, New Britain, and Bristol would be good as well. Although with these towns you'll need to research the area first to make sure your not buying in a bad neighborhood.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:31 PM

90 posts, read 209,483 times
I would choose a town that doesn't have a plethora of multifamily homes or apt buildings. Maybe Farmington, Avon, Berlin, Newington, Wethersfield, etc...that way, there would likely be more of a demand for rent and you could potentially get more money and long term renters.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:30 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,719,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct4life View Post
I would choose a town that doesn't have a plethora of multifamily homes or apt buildings. Maybe Farmington, Avon, Berlin, Newington, Wethersfield, etc...that way, there would likely be more of a demand for rent and you could potentially get more money and long term renters.
None of those towns really have any duplexes.

Farmington - way more apartments and condos than duplexes except for Unionville section

Avon - the well-to-do folk here wouldn't hear of having a duplex in THEIR town. You may as well rent out a McMansion

Berlin - I wouldn't bother

Newington & Wethersfield - maybe. Both of these are nice towns but I don't even know where multi-family houses are. There may be a few, but what comes to mind are mostly postwar, subuarban detached houses.

What may also help out is if any duplexes are either on a bus line or close to amenities - parks, schools, stores, etc. That's often a selling point that attracts people to properties like these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut