Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:01 AM

13 posts, read 47,471 times

Advertisements

Moving to Stamford in September...
Your experience, even if it is to a different location in the City, would be appreciated...
My question is concerning my husband's commute to north shore LI (W. Nassau) . Without traffic this Sunday (there were a few hiccups) it was about 1h to get back to where we live in Queens. This is the same distance it will be to his work. Can you tell me the best and worst case scenarios?

Throgs or Whitestone?
What times are the worst?
Should he leave at 7am and come home at 6pm? What do you think about these times? Would him leaving later be better? Will I ever see this poor man again?
We are so excited about this move, but I have a lot of apprehension about how a commute like this is going to work, and his mental health with 3+ hours commuting every day.
He says he doesn't mind a 1.5 hour commute. Is this what he is looking at?

Last edited by bad robot; 07-21-2010 at 12:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 08:09 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
As I am sure you know, traffic in New York City can be unpredictable and difficult particularly when you have to deal with any of the bridge crossings. I think this is what he is going ot have to face on a regular basis unfortunately. Jay

Old 07-21-2010, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the reply Jay!
Do you know the best times of day to travel?

Old 07-21-2010, 08:23 AM

I don't know that there is a best time. I have driven through New York in the middle of the night and hit massive traffic jams. Not fun, so I now basically avoid the city as much as possible. Jay

Old 07-21-2010, 09:06 AM

588 posts, read 1,320,775 times
I've never driven there during commuting hours, but we've done the drive from Greenwich to the north shore of Suffolk County many times, and we usually take 95 down to the Throgs Neck Bridge. I'm not that familiar with Long Island so I can't remember the names of all the parkways, but I can tell you where we always hit traffic: the Pelham Parkway area of the Bronx (North Bronx), the toll for the bridge (even with EZ Pass), and that parkway in Queens next to the water after you go over the bridge (I want to say near Douglaston?) Without traffic, we've made it from Greenwich to Suffolk County in 50 minutes. Unfortunately, there's almost always traffic.

I would guess that the only way to figure out the best time to leave is to go through it a few times and see what works best.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:16 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
I'm not sure I understand your question. Your husband works on the North Shore, but you want to live in Stamford?

I'd suggest you try moving to a place in Nassau County. Commuting from Stamford to Manhattan or the Bronx is easy, but Queens or Brooklyn is a headache.

Personally, if I were doing that commute (Stamford --> Queens) daily, I'd worry about my own mental health.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:14 AM

I think they already decided to move to Stamford and only now is the OP concerned about her husband's commute to Nassau. Jay

Old 07-21-2010, 11:23 AM

854 posts, read 1,242,179 times
there's a Bridgeport-Port Jefferson ferry, but anyone who wants to use that for commuting purposes is out of his mind.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think they already decided to move to Stamford and only now is the OP concerned about her husband's commute to Nassau. Jay
Yes and no...We were concerned before, but he is used to a commute between W. Queens and LI, so he is fine with a substantially better standard of living, even if it means a longer commute.

I was asking if 1.5 hours is a good expectation of the trip to the North Shore.

I was also asking about what times of day congestion is at its worse...when should he leave stamford to avoid that NYC rush south? What times is 95 bad at night. Once he over the bridge (and on the way back home at night, before the bridge) it is a reverse commute, and it gets much better. Just wondering what TIMES he should leave to avoid the craziest traffic on 95 both ways.

Is there windows of time you guys really avoid?

Old 07-21-2010, 03:26 PM

When you say North Shore where do you specifically mean? Long Island's North Shore is pretty big and where he is going would help to know how long of a trip it really would be. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut