Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2007, 09:02 AM

9 posts, read 30,285 times

Advertisements

I am relocating for a job in Newington and I need some input on the area.

I have three kids, 1,6,9. I need the best area for kids, schools, housing affordability. I would also like to be close to some shopping..

Is there any quaint downtowns in this region? I have no clue.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 09:48 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citimike111 View Post
I am relocating for a job in Newington and I need some input on the area.

I have three kids, 1,6,9. I need the best area for kids, schools, housing affordability. I would also like to be close to some shopping..

Is there any quaint downtowns in this region? I have no clue.

Any help would be appreciated.
I can give you a bunch of examples, but we don't know what affordable is to you. Some from Fairfield County think a 500K colonial home is a steal. lol

Also:

Desired commute times?

Are you a city, suburb or gotta have some land and quiet country person?

Old 07-02-2007, 12:10 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
West Hartford is probably a town you should consider. It has a great walkable downtown area (called West Hartford Center) with lots of shops and restaurants. It has a great school system and a lot of family activities. West Hartford can be a bit pricey though, so it does depend on you defintiion of "affordable". Another consideration would be Glastonbury with great schools, good shopping and a lot of family activites.

Another consideration may be Newington itself. It is a nice smaller suburb with good schools and a lot of shopping both along the Berlin Turnpike (mostly big box type stores) or in Newington Center (a somewhat walkable village area). other towns to consider would be Wethersfield, Rocky Hill and Berlin. Again, it all depends on what you can spend for a home. Good luck, Jay

Old 07-02-2007, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,473 times
Glastonbury is a beautiful town, but is pretty pricey and has some high taxes. I have lived in Rocky Hill since 1996 and have loved every minute of it. There are wonderful schools and is very family friendly. We are very close to 91 and 9, and pretty close to 84 and 691. We are within 20 minutes of 3 major malls as well. Wethersfield is another great option. Newington itself is also a nice place to live. If you would like I can get you in touch with some great real estate agents who can give you more information.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:05 PM
sun

683 posts, read 2,125,658 times
Newington is a very nice town, with many quiet streets and residential areas, and good schools. The Route 5/15 - Berlin Turnpike traffic on the east side, and associated rush hour traffic through the center of town is it's only downside. Neighboring Berlin to its south is much quieter and less commercial. It would be preferable to live in either of these towns and visit the other downtowns than to choose a town to live in simply because its downtown is "quaint".
I've heard from a resident that West Hartford Center isn't as quaint as it used to be before the major building development that's now going on there. The individual said that the new buildings are taking up more space than was expected and making the layout appear to look over crowded and squeezed in "wall to wall". Maybe it's just beginning to lose some of its charm.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:35 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
I've heard from a resident that West Hartford Center isn't as quaint as it used to be before the major building development that's now going on there. The individual said that the new buildings are taking up more space than was expected and making the layout appear to look over crowded and squeezed in "wall to wall". Maybe it's just beginning to lose some of its charm.
Blue Back Square, the expansion of West Hartford Center, really has not changed the existing center at all. The commercial part of West Hartford Center is generally located west of Main Street and Blue Back Square is located to the east of Main Street behind the Congregational Church and Library. It is barely visible from Main Street. I will agree that the new buildings are a little tall (four and five stories) but they are located a lower elevation so they do not tower over the center at all. Really the only place you see the difference is from Town Hall or if you are on Raymond Road. Even from Farmington Avenue you don't really notice the new buildings. I still believe though that this will be a wonderful addition to the Center. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut