Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 06:54 PM

200 posts, read 241,565 times

Advertisements

I know it's not really in line with the core conversation of this thread...but man is it nice using the "odd" cuts of wood many nights this summer for some great outdoor fires! Me and my boy are enjoying the Patriots game outside tonight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 04:33 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,513,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgorneau View Post
I know it's not really in line with the core conversation of this thread...but man is it nice using the "odd" cuts of wood many nights this summer for some great outdoor fires! Me and my boy are enjoying the Patriots game outside tonight!
Nice! I have had many outdoor fires this summer too. Great way to hold to hold off the urge until its stove time. lol

I have a feeling stoves will be lit much earlier this year if this pattern keeps up.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:34 PM

83,550 posts, read 75,428,957 times
Good reminder since that time of year is coming up... Time to clean your Flues before the first burns.

I actually do it twice a year. September and January. Problem was this past winter between the snow and the cold I never had a chance to get up there so I kept going.

So this is what came down from the wood stove burning October to May. Not much and that's because I burn clean, seasoned good wood.

I used the wire brush pole for the flue and a shop vac for the insides. Ready to rock and roll now.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Good reminder since that time of year is coming up... Time to clean your Flues before the first burns.

I actually do it twice a year. September and January. Problem was this past winter between the snow and the cold I never had a chance to get up there so I kept going.

So this is what came down from the wood stove burning October to May. Not much and that's because I burn clean, seasoned good wood.

I used the wire brush pole for the flue and a shop vac for the insides. Ready to rock and roll now.
Looks great Cam. Ironic I cleaned mine today as well. I did some heavy burning last winter so there is a bit more than usual.

Not sure what you use but I was doing the brushes untill I cam across the Sooteater. Does a great job and I can clean from inside the stove up.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Looks great Cam. Ironic I cleaned mine today as well. I did some heavy burning last winter so there is a bit more than usual.

Not sure what you use but I was doing the brushes untill I cam across the Sooteater. Does a great job and I can clean from inside the stove up.

Ha! Same thought today.

Interesting! So it just attaches to a screwgun or something? Looks like it would get more of it but worried about scratching the insides over time?

I use the regular 6" round which has the threaded rods you can attach to for length needed.

Looks like you had less creosote than me! Nice.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Good advice Cam! Just swept mine this past Friday

Old 08-18-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgorneau View Post
Good advice Cam! Just swept mine this past Friday
Nice.. One would think we're living in the mountains or something... Something southerners wouldn't understand. LOL

I never posted my piles so here they go...

My box of goodies. I usually prune trees in the Spring and tell tree guy to leave EVERYTHING. This year I didn't prune so I went to a neighbor that did and cleaned up their branches to use for starter sticks.. Probably fill it more than this.

Split and Stacked this Spring so this might be next years wood.

I try to keep track sometimes for certain types that I haven't tried yet just to see how it burns or just to remember which is what.. Cant wait for the Apple!

Old 09-14-2014, 04:12 PM

Spent the day outside stacking this. A close friend who has a landscaping company just dropped of this load of all Red Oak in exchange for some help. Not seasoned but its for next year anyways. I got 4 cord's lined up of mostly oak, maple and some honey locust.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:45 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,965,085 times
Today is the first day of the season that I have officially turned my heat on. I'll probably leave it on, because overnight it gets pretty chilly now. I hate waking up to cold mornings.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:32 PM

Not looking forward to moving this stack to the front porch in a fews weeks...but come December I'll be happy I did

We've actually got a nice fire going INSIDE this evening! Not a stove fire, but a nice crackling fireplace fire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut