Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 12:30 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
A lot of those "illegal immigrants" that are going to be helped are likely ones that have been here their entire adolescence. Their parents likely pay taxes...
How do they pay taxes? Stolen SS numbers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 02:21 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Kid, I take you at your word that you don't harbor hatred towards illegals and aren't selfish. But I think you would agree that my comments don't come from left field-- that there are certainly many who's "hatred" towards undocumented workers is fueled by insecurity, hate and selfishness. It is to them I address my criticisms.
Oh boy...

The CT state budget has increased 6% the last 5 years. We are in massive debt, cuts need to be made.

Paying for illegals education is one of the last thing we should be paying for, especially if that means a legal CT resident gets rejected from a school in CT.

It is ridiculous and unfortunate that people don't realize this is an economic issue. Where more of our tax money is going to waste.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:40 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,024 times
HeadedWest,

More than half of undocumented workers file tax returns to the Federal Government. In their own name. On top of sales/property/excise/payroll. If the immigration system wasn't so byzantine and frankly awful many more would be able to pay in, even if they aren't eligible for the biggest service most citizens receive in the form of Social Security.

Hartford Renter,

Cuts aren't likely going to help. It will likely backfire and cause a furthering decline in demand which is the root of the economic crisis today. Connecticut isn't alone on the debt side. Almost all the states engaged in questionable accounting practices, even more so than Connecticut in many cases, that are now coming due. Lowering tuition costs by putting more funding in the public education systems helps build demand and is an investment in the future.

And again... how would a legal CT resident get bumped by this system? Because they have to compete with more qualified candidates? I don't see anywhere in the proposal that gives the undocumented students special considerations. You seem conflating this proposal with some sort of affirmative action which speaks volumes about how you see the world and what you want to focus on.

~Cheers

Old 11-20-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
HeadedWest,

Cuts aren't likely going to help. It will likely backfire and cause a furthering decline in demand which is the root of the economic crisis today. Connecticut isn't alone on the debt side. Almost all the states engaged in questionable accounting practices, even more so than Connecticut in many cases, that are now coming due. Lowering tuition costs by putting more funding in the public education systems helps build demand and is an investment in the future.

And again... how would a legal CT resident get bumped by this system? Because they have to compete with more qualified candidates? I don't see anywhere in the proposal that gives the undocumented students special considerations. You seem conflating this proposal with some sort of affirmative action which speaks volumes about how you see the world and what you want to focus on.

~Cheers
Cuts won't help us reduce the defecit? I'm pretty sure cutting spending is a good way to get our budget in balance.

They aren't questionable accounting standards that created the debt, its overspending plain and simple.

Lowering tuition stimulates demand?

If an illegal gets accepted to a CT university, that means that one LEGAL resident was not accepted as a result. Its pretty simple.

You are a complete fool

~Cherrio!!

Old 11-20-2010, 03:57 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
It has to do with money. Hence the title of the thread - in state tuition.

They don't pay taxes

They shouldn't get in state tuition

It's pretty simple, hope I cleared things up for you.
Actually you didn't.

Millions of non-citizens pay taxes, and citizenship has nothing to do with taxes.

Thanks.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:07 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Millions of non-citizens pay taxes, and citizenship has nothing to do with taxes.
Millions of non-citizens could be 1-2 million. How many undocumented illegals are there again? Also, please show me where you're getting your facts from - lets see a link.Take a step away from your liberal argument for a second and consider that we're paying for their healthcare, how they're working under the table, etc - IF this were the case (which I believe it is for the majority of them), do you think this is okay?

It's baffling how some of you folks are defending your stance by claiming "millions" and "more than half" of undocumented people are paying taxes. What about the rest??!

Old 11-20-2010, 04:47 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,024 times
Kid,

Economic impact of illegal immigrants in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hate wiki, but it's the easiest way. It's not out of the question that the rest don't file income taxes because they are scared of repercussions and want to stay under the radar. But it's the state of Connecticut we are talking about... they don't get out of paying sales tax which is a major source of revenue for the state.

Hartford,

First if student A and student B are going for the same spot at a state school, both graduated from Foran High, and both have similar talents. Even though student A is undocumented... wait... IT DOESN'T MATTER. The selection process remains the same. All that changes is that Student A has a shot to afford college should he get in.

Overspending plain and simple? Then call me a fool. It's laughable, it really is. What happened to sales tax receipts in the last two or three years? What about income taxes? Slot machine takings? What about more people going onto unemployment and medicare that raise the costs? A lot of your "overspending" isn't over spending but rather changes in the national and state economy. On top of this tax rates are all out of skew. Is there a chance that overspending can happen? Of course, but that's not what the evidence is pointing to currently.

Call me a fool? Man, you wouldn't know the roots of a fiscal crisis for the state and I don't know... a llama?

~Cheers

Last edited by Beeker2211; 11-20-2010 at 04:57 PM..

Old 11-20-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Kid,

Economic impact of illegal immigrants in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hate wiki, but it's the easiest way. It's not out of the question that the rest don't file income taxes because they are scared of repercussions and want to stay under the radar. But it's the state of Connecticut we are talking about... they don't get out of paying sales tax which is a major source of revenue for the state.

Hartford,

First if student A and student B are going for the same spot at a state school, both graduated from Foran High, and both have similar talents. Even though student A is undocumented... wait... IT DOESN'T MATTER. The selection process remains the same. All that changes is that Student A has a shot to afford college should he get in.

Overspending plain and simple? Then call me a fool. It's laughable, it really is. What happened to sales tax receipts in the last two or three years? What about income taxes? Slot machine takings? What about more people going onto unemployment and medicare that raise the costs? A lot of your "overspending" isn't over spending but rather changes in the national and state economy. On top of this tax rates are all out of skew. Is there a chance that overspending can happen? Of course, but that's not what the evidence is pointing to currently.

Call me a fool? Man, you wouldn't know the roots of a fiscal crisis for the state and I don't know... a llama?

~Cheers
Here is the CT budget by year

Year - Budget - Increase %
2000 - 24.0 -
2001 - 25.8 - 7.5%
2002 - 27.6 - 7.0%
2003 - 28.2 - 2.2%
2004 - 28.8 - 2.1%
2005 - 29.6 - 2.8%
2006 - 31.4 - 6.1%
2007 - 33.2 - 5.7%
2008 - 35.1 - 5.7%
2009 - 37.1 - 5.7%
2010 - 39.2 - 5.7%
2011 - 41.4 - 5.6%

Federal State Local Public Spending United States 2010 - Charts Tables History

If you notice the increase is on average about 6%. In the same period wages have risen by about 2% per year. Tax receipts have remained relatively flat.

The problem is the Gov't spends more, more, more, more... with no end in sight. This really is why we are in a massive deficit.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:32 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,279 times
"The problem is the Gov't spends more, more, more, more... with no end in sight. This really is why we are in a massive deficit."

This is really the gyst of the problem. For every person that comes into this country illegally and takes more than they give (which, taxes or not, they absolutely take) - it really boils down to two choices:
1. Raise taxes for those of us that pay them.
2. Cut services for everyone.

Which is your preference, since you are feeling so charitable? Are we going to take food away from an already-struggling, tax-paying family, or are we going to cut home healthcare subsidies for the disabled? Tick, tock.....

Old 11-20-2010, 07:53 PM

250 posts, read 563,241 times
Higher education means high salary which equates to high tax. Kudos CT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut