Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 05:49 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Give me a beak. Do you really think there are a LOT of people in Glastonbury that think they live in Greenwich or even really care where the town ranks in income? Come on now.

I have lived here for 17 years and can tell you I probably only have met a couple. Most people living here are working professionals or managment people. Many work at Pratt & Whitney in West Hartford or downtown at one of the insurance companies or banks. They like the town because it is not as dense as West Hartford or as remote as the Farmington Valley towns. The schools are excellent and there are a lot of family activities. It is that simple. Jay
Well I was born and raised there and lived in Gbury for 35 years. I've witnessed the town transform from a farm community to what it is now. I have friends who own business's all over town and let me tell you the stories they tell of the new Gbury" elite" make me laugh. The town was invaded and has morphed to what it is today; a town run by well educated wannbe people who do ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 06:26 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by factcheckerdude View Post
JViello,

Reality check guys. You're wrong again lol. Although, I do love a good debate, but i seem to be winning at all ends (winning what i'm not sure lol , but just posting facts. Yes, i'm a nerd for data.) I honestly chuckled guess you should have checked the top 3 before posting.
I should have known we were dealing with "4 1337 h-4x0-r1ng B4D4S5!!" who "ow3ned" the conversation. (I can't believe haxor is filtered. LOL)

Maybe you missed that the very article we sourced conceded that MD has more millionaires (Which really in the day of 600K homes is not saying much to have a net worth passing the 7 figure mark). But you failed to acknowledge that CT in driven by and has people with real wealth. There is a HUGE difference between someone making 250K per year and having a net worth of 1.2 million dollars and a guy who can write a check for 30 million at will. If you can't understand the difference, then I would suggest your "data hax0r skills" are a bit dull.

Let me guess, you're the type of statistician who comes up with doozy's like Hartford is the poorest city in the nation because you can't extrapolate information.

As for the merit of this thread, I agree that arguing who's "more rich" is stupid...however, the wealthy play a very important role in the quality of life in this state and IMO are not given the proper respect or credit for what they contribute in both tax revenue and dollars pumped back into the local economy. Without them, this state would be pretty barren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Well I was born and raised there and lived in Gbury for 35 years. I've witnessed the town transform from a farm community to what it is now. I have friends who own business's all over town and let me tell you the stories they tell of the new Gbury" elite" make me laugh. The town was invaded and has morphed to what it is today; a town run by well educated wannbe people who do ok.
I see you have met my BIL and SIL who live in a McMansion (Both government workers ala MD wealth) and have their 4x8 wine cellar downstairs to compliment the "lifestyle". LOL

Old 12-21-2010, 07:13 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I see you have met my BIL and SIL who live in a McMansion (Both government workers ala MD wealth) and have their 4x8 wine cellar downstairs to compliment the "lifestyle". LOL
Let me guess...they live in Great Pond or Red Hill right?

Old 12-21-2010, 08:21 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
It sounds like you are one of the old timers in town who lament change and yearn for the day when Glastonbury was a small farming town even though 35 years ago it was hardly even a farming community. What is really funny about this is that Glastonbury in the 1960's and early 70's was a progressive town. It established an urban renewal commission to remake its downtown. It established and held design guidelines so that the quality of architecture in town was high (McDonald's on Main Street was the first to not have golden arches). New shopping centers (Glen Lochen, Fox Run, etc.) were of the latest and most modern of design. This progressive thinking is what made Glastonbury the attractive desirable town it is today.

People always look back and remember things as being better in the past. Maybe you are right but when I moved to town 17 years ago, all of the elementary school buildings were over crowded and literally falling apart, the library was cramped and dingy, the Senior Center was joke (basically a couple of small rooms in an old house) and the high school was a complete embarassment (showers constantly running, ceiling tiles stained and collapsing, over crowded, etc.). And none of this was by any stretch of the imagination me being an elitist or demanding the best. These are basic facilities that were allowed to deteriorate to a point of almost crisis proportions.

The "newbies" are the ones that pushed for improvements while the old timers fought the change. Because of this fight, it took years to get all of these things improved and ended up costing us taxpayers a lot more than if these things were just kept up and expanded as needed in the first place. I have a coworker who has been in town longer than you (you may even know him) and he even agrees that the old timers fought everything and sees the mistakes that were made years ago by ignoring these issues.

That said, I also don't agree with you contention that Great Pond is a sea of McMansions. In fact most of the homes there would not qualify since many are under 3,000 square feet. There are homes there that are just over 2,000 square feet. I also know several families there and I can tell you they are far from elitists snobs. They are hard working middle management people who are kind and caring and would go out of their way for you any time you ask. I am not saying that there are no snobs in town but there are by far many more decent middle income people. Jay

Old 12-21-2010, 08:45 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,577,840 times
Sorry - I actually agree with Tetto on this one. As some of you know my wife and I have been looking around for our next and hopefully final home - glastonbury was on our list for a while, but gone now. We are hoping to find something in maybe Hebron?? Bolton?? or Marlborough?? that we can agree on. While Glastonbury has a lot going for it, frankly many of the people that I meet or have interacted with leave much to be desired. There is typically a bit of superiority there - particularly when the find out where we currently live (East Hartford). I can't stand people like that. They automatically make assumptions based on where we live. I know that exists everywhere, but hopefully choosing a town that is smaller in population and less overrun with mini mansions will eliminate some of the superiority. And please, before anyone jumps on and says "we don't know" because we don't live there....my wife and I lived in glastonbury for a bit, conduct most of our outings/shopping in Glastonbury because we live in the south end of EH and, our kids go to daycare in glastonbury and my inlaws live in glastonbury so we have had plenty of experiences - we have lived in the area our entire lives. We have met some very nice people in town, but honestly the majority of our interactions leave a sour taste in our mouths. I'm glad we are carefully evaluating our options before we purchase.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:59 AM

243 posts, read 774,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Sorry - I actually agree with Tetto on this one. As some of you know my wife and I have been looking around for our next and hopefully final home - glastonbury was on our list for a while, but gone now. We are hoping to find something in maybe Hebron?? Bolton?? or Marlborough?? that we can agree on. While Glastonbury has a lot going for it, frankly many of the people that I meet or have interacted with leave much to be desired. There is typically a bit of superiority there - particularly when the find out where we currently live (East Hartford). I can't stand people like that. They automatically make assumptions based on where we live. I know that exists everywhere, but hopefully choosing a town that is smaller in population and less overrun with mini mansions will eliminate some of the superiority. And please, before anyone jumps on and says "we don't know" because we don't live there....my wife and I lived in glastonbury for a bit, conduct most of our outings/shopping in Glastonbury because we live in the south end of EH and, our kids go to daycare in glastonbury and my inlaws live in glastonbury so we have had plenty of experiences - we have lived in the area our entire lives. We have met some very nice people in town, but honestly the majority of our interactions leave a sour taste in our mouths. I'm glad we are carefully evaluating our options before we purchase.
Who cares where you used to live. I never got why people from more "affluent" towns looked down at that.

I know Monroe and Trumbull and to some extent Easton too are overrun with people from Bridgeport. Bridgeport is worse than East Hartford, and looking at the statistics Monroe, Trumbull and Easton all have more money and higher home prices than in Glastonbury.

Glastonbury sounds pretentious. I've driven through it a couple times, didn't like it. Just because you can build a huge house doesn't mean you got money...s

Old 12-21-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY View Post
Who cares where you used to live. I never got why people from more "affluent" towns looked down at that.

I know Monroe and Trumbull and to some extent Easton too are overrun with people from Bridgeport. Bridgeport is worse than East Hartford, and looking at the statistics Monroe, Trumbull and Easton all have more money and higher home prices than in Glastonbury.

Glastonbury sounds pretentious. I've driven through it a couple times, didn't like it. Just because you can build a huge house doesn't mean you got money...s
To categorize a town of 33,000 as pretentious is just as bad as saying a city like Bridgeport is all bad. Talk about being a snob. Jay

Old 12-21-2010, 09:10 AM

58 posts, read 175,485 times
Here's an interesting site that ranks income by zip code, based on IRS tax returns, and can be adjusted by the number of returns filed per zip code (All, 1000+, 3000+, 5000+, 10,000+, and 20,000+).

100 highest income zip codes in the United States

I have it set here for 5000+, and it shows the top three in CT: Greenwich (06831), New Canaan (06840), Darien (06820)

One interesting thing I found is that when you adjust it to show "All," the first CT zip code to appear (#23) is 06156 in Hartford! However there were only 20 returns filed (Scarborough and Prospect only I guess). The next CT zip to appear on that filtered list is in Greenwich, with over 7000 returns filed.

It's funny how statistics and numbers work. Depending on how you filter the numbers, you can make Hartford have the state's wealthiest zip code, or you can have Greenwich have the wealthiest in the country? Using other numbers you can make Hartford look like the poorest city in the country, or one of the richest metros. Go figure.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Then why do you live so close to Glastonbury? Why do you shop there? Why are your kids in daycare there? You are probably just as close to Manchester or East Hartford so use their amenities. It is also interesting that two of the towns you are considering (Hebron and Marlborough) have higher incomes than Glastonbury. I am sure you will find your fair share of snobs there too. Also have you been around Bolton. Most newer homes being built there are McMansions too. I am sure you will find snobs there as well. Jay

Old 12-21-2010, 09:20 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Quote:
All of the Glastonbury "90210" wannabe's are freaking out after seeing how affluent they aren't...!!
I was surprised to see Glastonbury's neighbors in Marlborough and Hebron posting higher incomes. Burlington was another dark horse for me...quite a few quiet little affluent towns tucked away in the Greater Hartford area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut