Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 04:29 AM

6,135 posts, read 5,103,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Yes. 2 miles from downtown West Hartford is one of the most violent, crime ridden areas of the country - the North End of Hartford. We get so provincial in CT that we forget in a city like Chicago, it would just be a "neighborhood" or section of the city. To us, it's "oh that's Hartford, but I live in West Hartford". Yea, well it's 2 miles away.
Well of course...need to be ever vigilant. The barriers keeping the same elements out of WH are only economic, not physical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 05:48 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
Well of course...need to be ever vigilant. The barriers keeping the same elements out of WH are only economic, not physical.
Exactly. Just like I would like to know what's a few miles away from where I would be moving in Chicago, I think it's only fair to give a realistic outlook on West Hartford. It's a nice, small city but does border Hartford on several sides and it does affect every day life to some degree. Even if it's just "passing through" the bad areas, you still have to deal with it.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:42 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
You could argue how far the "crime ridden" parts of Hartford are from West Hartford. It may be two miles as the crow flys to the edge of the problem area but there are definite dividers between the problem parts of Hartford and West Hartford. It is hardly an issue worth mentioning IMHO. If it were the price of properties in West Hartford would not be what they are. Jay

Old 03-02-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It is hardly an issue worth mentioning IMHO. If it were the price of properties in West Hartford would not be what they are. Jay
Just because people have become numb to the filth and crime surrounding them, pretending some socioeconomic barrier is going to protect them does not change reality. The lady who was recently out jogging in West Hartford and was dragged into the bushes and raped might have a different opinion.

newtoct99: West Hartford is a nice city, but just know this is just a couple miles away. CT is not all richy and nice, there is a dark side to the state as well. Just be aware you will be driving through some of this and dealing with it. That's all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxIU4d5BxS0

Old 03-02-2011, 02:52 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
Quote:
Just because people have become numb to the filth and crime surrounding them, pretending some socioeconomic barrier is going to protect them does not change reality. The lady who was recently out jogging in West Hartford and was dragged into the bushes and raped might have a different opinion.
Well, now this brings up a good point. There is crime here, too, but to a much lesser extent. And this, combined with the fact that the public is more inclined to report criminal behavior, makes a huge difference. In WH, as in most suburbs, when someone sees something, they say something - unlike Hartford, where it's this mentality of "I ain't no snitch, aight!?"

re: the North End - it's a horrible area, but chances are the OP will not even end up here. This area is without any merit or draw - there is nothing here to see or do. Besides, the worst parts are way further down on and along Rt 44/Albany Ave, much further than 2 miles away. You have to travel off the beaten path to get to this isolated location. When you first cross from WH into Hartford on 44, you're still in a nice area and even once you pass Scarborough it's not that bad. but keep going past 187 and you're in the hood. There's Blue Hills..... and then there's the North End.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Well, now this brings up a good point. There is crime here, too, but to a much lesser extent. And this, combined with the fact that the public is more inclined to report criminal behavior, makes a huge difference. In WH, as in most suburbs, when someone sees something, they say something - unlike Hartford, where it's this mentality of "I ain't no snitch, aight!?"
LOL Tru dat.

Quote:
re: the North End - it's a horrible area, but chances are the OP will not even end up here. This area is without any merit or draw - there is nothing here to see or do. Besides, the worst parts are way further down on and along Rt 44/Albany Ave, much further than 2 miles away. You have to travel off the beaten path to get to this isolated location. When you first cross from WH into Hartford on 44, you're still in a nice area and even once you pass Scarborough it's not that bad. but keep going past 187 and you're in the hood. There's Blue Hills..... and then there's the North End.
I don't know if I agree with that. All one has to do is head down 218 and a right on 44 and you are "in it". Same for just going down Park Ave or Farmington Ave. If you didn't know any better all of a sudden you are in a third world central American country in a matter of blocks on Park Ave for instance.

According to Google Maps, it's just shy of 3 miles. It really is that close. I'm not bagging on West Hartford, it's a nice city. I just wanted the OP to understand he is not moving to some mayberry without any of the urban issues Chicago has. We do have it, and it's pretty close by.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:51 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
Quote:
I don't know if I agree with that. All one has to do is head down 218 and a right on 44 and you are "in it".
Are you referring to Rt. 185 or 189? Because those will dump you onto 44 and it does change dramatically pretty fast. But I still don't think the Blue Hills area is as bad as the area further east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello
Same for just going down Park Ave or Farmington Ave. If you didn't know any better all of a sudden you are in a third world central American country in a matter of blocks on Park Ave for instance.
You really think FarmingtonAve in Hartford is that bad? I dunno, I drive down it whenever I head downtown & I've never had any problems. Same thing w/Asylum Ave.
You must be referring to Park Street once you cross Prospect Ave. (Park Ave = Bloomfield?) THAT I agree changes on opposite sides of the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello
According to Google Maps, it's just shy of 3 miles. It really is that close. I'm not bagging on West Hartford, it's a nice city. I just wanted the OP to understand he is not moving to some mayberry without any of the urban issues Chicago has. We do have it, and it's pretty close by.
I didn't think u were hatin' on my town atall. I agree it's close, but as someone who lives near WH Center works in Bloomfield on weekends and takes 44 and drives through Blue Hills, I can tell you that it seems like a few miles just to get to Hartford alone. But you know what? It's not worth debating the discrepency of a mile or two. I agree it is close and it's amazing how quickly you go from one of the wealthiest nabes in the county to one of the poorest. First time I drove down 44 through Hartford and i saw what it was like, I thought WTF!?!? I can't think of any other place nearby that I can think of that contrast so quickly between safe and dangerous, rich and poor.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Are you referring to Rt. 185 or 189? Because those will dump you onto 44 and it does change dramatically pretty fast. But I still don't think the Blue Hills area is as bad as the area further east.
Sorry, I mean North Main which turns into 218 after crossing RT44. Going up N Main, take a right and travel about one mile and as you said below, the world changes.

Quote:
You really think FarmingtonAve in Hartford is that bad?
No, Farmington ave is surely not like Albany or Park ave. But it's starting to get a little run down and trashy by the Hartford line IMO.

Quote:
I didn't think u were hatin' on my town atall. I agree it's close, but as someone who lives near WH Center works in Bloomfield on weekends and takes 44 and drives through Blue Hills, I can tell you that it seems like a few miles just to get to Hartford alone. But you know what? It's not worth debating the discrepency of a mile or two. I agree it is close and it's amazing how quickly you go from one of the wealthiest nabes in the county to one of the poorest. First time I drove down 44 through Hartford and i saw what it was like, I thought WTF!?!? I can't think of any other place nearby that I can think of that contrast so quickly between safe and dangerous, rich and poor.
Agreed, and especially the part in bold. It's really eye opening. Million dollar homes, a university 1-2-3 streets and BAM Beruit. lol

Old 03-03-2011, 11:16 AM

134 posts, read 491,599 times
I found something out yesterday, on my way to st. francais in hartford, know that if you have to go on US-44 through the north end by U-hart to get there, your cars suspension might need a tune up, One of the worst roads ive been on.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:38 PM

6,135 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfella24 View Post
I found something out yesterday, on my way to st. francais in hartford, know that if you have to go on US-44 through the north end by U-hart to get there, your cars suspension might need a tune up, One of the worst roads ive been on.
Take Asylum next time. Much safer too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut