Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 04:29 AM

30 posts, read 60,330 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

I posted yesterday - and am quickly becoming panicked. I am moving from Providence RI and am looking for high end housing in the New Haven/Milford area ---

Because I am a single guy in my early thirties, I would prefer a complex so as to make friends with neighbors quickly. Money is NO object. I want to live in the right spot - that is within walking distance to all the action. I prefer not to have to get into my car to go to a CVS, out for a quick drink or to grab a bite.

I am quickly realizing New Haven is NOT dog friendly. It has become the exception when an apt complex allows dogs, and these tend to be lower end or in horrible locations.

Avalon in Milford allows it, but location wise ---- horrible.

PLEASE HELP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 08:25 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,766,193 times
Have you tried looking on Craigslist ? If you go to the apts./rental section, there is place to check off dogs and up will come a variety of places that permit dogs. I looked briefly and there are some listings for downtown New Haven & Wooster Square area. Although I did not delve deeply into where excatly they were.

Also, most condo complexes do permit dogs ( small ones usually). Although an individual unit owner may not want to rent to a tenant with a dog. However, sometimes you can get around this by discussing with the owner after you see the unit. Often if the owner likes you and you can prove your pet is altered, sees a vet, etc. or pay a pet deposit, they will change their mind and allow a dog.

And check the online classifieds for the New Haven Register, the local paper.

Good luck

Old 03-27-2011, 09:41 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,700,354 times
Try East Rock or Westville or the southern end of Hamden (towards the New Haven line), but, honestly, you will be hard-pressed to find a complex downtown, especially one that will allow pets; New Haven just isn't that kind of a city. Most apartments are in two family homes or tiny complexes/buildings. Most people with pets live in the 'burbs, which has more amenities for pets. But, when I lived in New Haven as a swinging single, no one had a dog; it just isn't conducive to that lifestyle.

I think that you do not need to live in a complex or downtown to meet people. New Haven is a small city, meeting people is fairly easy and is usually accomplished simply by having a job and frequenting some night spots.

I would get in touch with a realtor (such as New England moves/Coldwell Banker--they aren't pet-friendly but they are high end). You can also try:

www.homes.com
www.weichertrents.com

Last edited by StarlaJane; 03-27-2011 at 09:50 AM..

Old 03-27-2011, 09:43 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,905,316 times
Did you try this apartment complex? They allow small dogs.

Wintergreen of Westville Apartments in New Haven, CT | Apartments.com

Old 03-27-2011, 12:33 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Definitely recommend Craigslist. You'll have far more luck there. Keep in mind Milford is often listed in the Fairfield County section, which is under New York City.

FWIW my friend found an apt on CL that accepts pets in a 2 family near downtown Milford. It was an easy find and a nice place. It's not too hard and will be easier in a Milford house or multifamily than a NH apt.

And you'll be in a much safer area. Did you go to downtown Milford yet? It's nothing like the area Avalon is in and the backroad to Derby is right there.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Have you tried looking on Craigslist ? If you go to the apts./rental section, there is place to check off dogs and up will come a variety of places that permit dogs. I looked briefly and there are some listings for downtown New Haven & Wooster Square area. Although I did not delve deeply into where excatly they were.

Also, most condo complexes do permit dogs ( small ones usually). Although an individual unit owner may not want to rent to a tenant with a dog. However, sometimes you can get around this by discussing with the owner after you see the unit. Often if the owner likes you and you can prove your pet is altered, sees a vet, etc. or pay a pet deposit, they will change their mind and allow a dog.

And check the online classifieds for the New Haven Register, the local paper.

Good luck
Nice idea on the New Haven Register. I will do so.

I have looked at craigslist - it seems like i'm looking for things that are maybe maybe much higher end, and some of those units don't tend to make it to craigslist.

i also have this dying hope that there will be some wonderful highrise in new haven with culture and community that i haven't found that will take me. 360statestreet appears to be a brand new dump in the making.

the eli - would be perfect, but no go on the dogs.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Did you try this apartment complex? They allow small dogs.

Wintergreen of Westville Apartments in New Haven, CT | Apartments.com

horrible reviews on apartmentratings.com

Old 03-27-2011, 06:52 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
First of all I do not think that New Haven is any less dog friendly than any other major city. New Haven does not have a lot of large scale apartment complexes so you are going to have trouble finding what you want, having a dog limits you even further.

I also must say I am surprised at your opinion of 360 State Street. You are the first one to say that it is not that nice. I have not been in it so I can't offer my own opinion but others have said it is very nice but expensive.

All that said, I would suggest you consider a different type of housing option. Either look for a condo rental or look for a house. The suggestion on East Rock is good. Good luck, Jay

Old 03-27-2011, 07:09 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,700,354 times
Here are some more options in East Rock and Hamden (Spring Glen--close but not too close); not sure how dog-friendly these apartments are:

East Rock: Living in New Haven

Rental housing: Living in New Haven

Apartment Rentals New Haven Connecticut

Hamden, Rental Property – WeichertRents.com

Hamden, Rental Property – WeichertRents.com

I think you'll find that New Haven is smaller than Providence, a quintessential New England "walking city," although there are also many outerlying areas that are accessible by bus.

I think the major diff is that, while both can be considered college towns, Yale really figures prominently in the city's culture, especially dowtown around campus. Also, there is a gang/crime presence as well as high incidences of drug use, although I am not sure that it is any more than in Providence; it all depends on what you are used to.

I always felt safe in New Haven and kind of can't believe how much we got up to in our younger days. But I also had friends and acquaintances that weren't so lucky ): And, while I (and family members) have been victims of crime, it has never been anything major (usually petty theft).

Last edited by StarlaJane; 03-27-2011 at 07:20 PM..

Old 03-27-2011, 07:11 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Have you tried Realtor.com?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut