Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:41 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Go to the website. CL & P are giving estimates.

https://www.cl-p.com/StormCenter/Estimated_Restoration_Time_by_Area/
Great, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Irritated? Seriously? Almost 750,000 people without power (counting CLP and UI), 854 two man work crews on the road pulling 16 hour shifts and you're "irritated"?

They TOLD YOU to expect no power for up to two weeks. What else would you like them to do? I actually heard on the radio someone have the nerve to point out that the power crews used to work 18 hour shifts and now only do 16. I'm glad guys working on high power lines are "only" working 16 hours at a clip. They need a rest.

Maybe next time you'll take their warnings seriously and be a little better prepared. Lord have mercy, how did we survive in the past.

I heard it's Bush's fault...or at least John Rowland.
THANK YOU!

I was stuck in Puerto Rico for 2 days, one of the nights we had to crash in the airport. I flew into CLT, DW and kids to Washington DC. I drove 7 hours to DC, picked them up, and continued the 13 hour trek home. I don't have power. I don't have water. We have four suitcases of dirty clothes, a few candles, a yard that needs to be re-landscaped and a patio that needs to be rebuilt. We can finally shower at the YMCA in town, but we've been driving to North Haven for everything else.

Seriously, you guys, relax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 11:47 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
HAHAHA!

Seriously, I don't do well without what I deem to be "the essentials." Power is one of them, hot water is another. Even the Internet -- it's essential for my work. And, uh, chocolate is on the list too.
I agree, it's nice to have those things. For those who can't handle being without, whole house generators are NOT that expensive.

We lived like nothing ever happened because I prepped my home well in advance with food, water, fuel, sand bagged the areas where water could infiltrate, rerouted gutters 50 feet away from the house etc.

cooked a nice meal on Sunday night, we watched some TV, took a hot shower etc.

To improvise, once power came back on, I took my generator down to my inlaws in Clinton and did a backfeed to the panel through their dryer plug and now they have power. (All the electrical "engineers", please reserve your comments, it's just not true it will feed back the main lines so long as the main is switched off. The neutral can't complete a loop so it's harmless.)

We wired up my neighbor through a 4000 watt inverter he had so he could run his refrigerators in spurts. I gave my jump box with a 400 watt power inverter to a neighbor with a 13 watt (60 watt brightness) CFL bulb so they could run a lamp for a few days. Just be innovative a little.

It's all about being prepared. If you can't live without something, prepare for it. Feeling dirty? Go jump in a lake. Seriously. Even something as simple as a solar camping hot water heater. Geeze people.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:50 AM

468 posts, read 524,090 times
Quote:
Irritated? Seriously? Almost 750,000 people without power (counting CLP and UI), 854 two man work crews on the road pulling 16 hour shifts and you're "irritated"?

They TOLD YOU to expect no power for up to two weeks. What else would you like them to do? I actually heard on the radio someone have the nerve to point out that the power crews used to work 18 hour shifts and now only do 16. I'm glad guys working on high power lines are "only" working 16 hours at a clip. They need a rest.

Maybe next time you'll take their warnings seriously and be a little better prepared. Lord have mercy, how did we survive in the past.

I heard it's Bush's fault...or at least John Rowland.
Yes, I'm irritated. Do you have power, J? Only if you do not are you in my opinion entitled to your- forgive me for saying it- sanctimonious attitude. Oh, and, by the way, were you prepared for a two week outage? If so, can you give it to someone who might need it?

On a serious note, it is self-evident that the number of crews is insufficient to handle the storm damage. They need to have more people, especially linemen, since it seems increasingly likely that there will be more and more storms like this in the future.

Lastly, why do you bring tired old political stuff into this thread? Seriously. Lighten up.

Edit: saw your later post. So, you do have power. I bet you'd be irritated too if you were going to be out for over a week.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
Jviello, I would like them to keep me more informed, let me know what parts of the grid are offline, what parts are online, what parts are being worked on, what the problems are at the different locations, estimates for each location of when power will restored, all things they have already, but refuse to share with the public. I would prefer that than "Shut up, and wait," which is essentially what they are saying.
Blake, I can appreciate that. Honestly, I really can. What I do know from working in a public utility for years (Telecom) is they really can't do that with any kind of accuracy in many cases for a myrad of reasons. Sometimes they can.

I honestly think it would cheese people off more if they said "you should have power by Tues night" and it doesn't happen till Friday.

What I do know is they repair areas that will have the biggest impact first. IOW if a repair will get 5000 people online, they'll do that first instead of the repair that will restore 500 people. It's just logistics. If course I'm already hearing people say that who comes on first is politically motivated.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:55 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamz View Post
Edit: saw your later post. So, you do have power. I bet you'd be irritated too if you were going to be out for over a week.
I don't have power, and I agree with JV.

I almost fell over this morning listening to a Long Island radio station with people calling in and b*tching up a storm about the power company. What does that tell you? It's more about people being inconvenienced than incompetence on the power companies' end.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Yes, I'm irritated. Do you have power, J? Only if you do not are you in my opinion entitled to your- forgive me for saying it- sanctimonious attitude. Oh, and, by the way, were you prepared for a two week outage? If so, can you give it to someone who might need it?

On a serious note, it is self-evident that the number of crews is insufficient to handle the storm damage. They need to have more people, especially linemen, since it seems increasingly likely that there will be more and more storms like this in the future.

Lastly, why do you bring tired old political stuff into this thread? Seriously. Lighten up.

I had power, internet, phone and everything throughout the whole thing. We watched a movie on Netflix through the storm. I've had those things because I spent a week preparing my home, have a whole house generator, backup wireless 4g internet.

Two weeks? I could go for a month before putting a dent in our fuel and food supplies. No bullsh*t.

And yes, I fed and showered my neighbors, and took apart my generator and set it back up at my inlaws and hard wired it in because they are supposed to be out for another 10 days or something like that as they are on the beach.

I'm sorry, I'm not feeling any compassion for you complaining. You should either have A. prepared for the storm and the warnings given if you couldn't live without X Y or Z or B. Realize they TOLD YOU to expect two weeks without power.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:58 AM

352 posts, read 781,287 times
Quote:
That's when CLP estimates my power will be back on.

I know a thread about this got nuked, but I will repeat: I find this irritating, and I question why it will really take 8 days after the storm ended to get my power back.

Does anybody have a later estimated restoration time?
If this is any consolation, I work with someone who was told she'd have power back by this Saturday, but she got it back on Tuesday night.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

I almost fell over this morning listening to a Long Island radio station with people calling in and b*tching up a storm about the power company. What does that tell you? It's more about people being inconvenienced than incompetence on the power companies' end.
How do you know that? What is the basis of your assertion? Can you verify that the power company has an appropriate number of repair crews and is directing them to make repairs as efficiently as possible?

Look, I didn't do more than express irritation. Yes, it's an inconvenience. People get irritated when they're inconvenienced. If you're not irritated, then I will nominate you for canonization, because you're a calmer man than I.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I had power, internet, phone and everything throughout the whole thing. We watched a movie on Netflix through the storm. I've had those things because I spent a week preparing my home, have a whole house generator, backup wireless 4g internet.

Two weeks? I could go for a month before putting a dent in our fuel and food supplies. No bullsh*t.

And yes, I fed and showered my neighbors, and took apart my generator and set it back up at my inlaws and hard wired it in because they are supposed to be out for another 10 days or something like that as they are on the beach.

I'm sorry, I'm not feeling any compassion for you complaining. You should either have A. prepared for the storm and the warnings given if you couldn't live without X Y or Z or B. Realize they TOLD YOU to expect two weeks without power.
How's your move to Florida coming?

Last edited by JayCT; 09-01-2011 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: Removed flame remark

Old 09-01-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Ditto! I was like "really? Do people just want something to complain about or is it that we always have to 'blame' someone for everything." Sometimes things just happen.

I think the power guys are working their ASSES off and appreciate it. They have crews here from all over the country. Life without the iPad for a week won't kill anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut