Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 01:36 PM

588 posts, read 1,872,470 times

Advertisements

I am starting a new job in Cheshire in a couple of weeks (woohoo! ) and even though I am cutting my commute from 1h40m (Fairfield to Grand Central) to about 45m, I wouldn't mind cutting it even further. I also would like to cut down on the high taxes and cost of living that is Fairfield County. Unfortunately I know nothing about the area. The job is close to where 84/691 intersect (what looks like the far north of Cheshire), but would consider any town within a 15-30 minute drive.

Can someone provide some data/recommendations on the surrounding towns? Budget is around 400-450k (can go higher, but dont want to) for at least a 4BR/2BA with at least 1/2 acre, good schools are a must (although we won't need them for another 2 years), and would like similar amenities and quality to Fairfield.

Danke!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 01:50 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
I am starting a new job in Cheshire in a couple of weeks (woohoo! ) and even though I am cutting my commute from 1h40m (Fairfield to Grand Central) to about 45m, I wouldn't mind cutting it even further. I also would like to cut down on the high taxes and cost of living that is Fairfield County. Unfortunately I know nothing about the area. The job is close to where 84/691 intersect (what looks like the far north of Cheshire), but would consider any town within a 15-30 minute drive.

Can someone provide some data/recommendations on the surrounding towns? Budget is around 400-450k (can go higher, but dont want to) for at least a 4BR/2BA with at least 1/2 acre, good schools are a must (although we won't need them for another 2 years), and would like similar amenities and quality to Fairfield.

Danke!
Just move to Cheshire or Southington is good too.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:16 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:

Danke!
This is easy...Cheshire! lol

All jokes aside if you want something more historic with a "center" you can also check out Farmington. You'll be doing the reverse commute thing so you'll have no problem. Living in Farmington will give you access to West Hartford center and Avon as well fairly easy.

Wallingford/Durham and North Haven is also worth a look.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:19 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Cheshire
Woodbridge
Orange
Bethany
Oxford
Farmington

Woodbridge/Orange's Amity district is consistently ranked as one of the top in CT. Farmington isn't far behind. Woodbridge/Orange give you convenient access to Milford and New Haven for shopping, dining and entertainment. Farmington has easy access to West Hartford. Those would be my top choices.

Southbury might be worth looking into, although I wouldn't want to do that drive on 84 around Waterbury every day.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:55 PM

41 posts, read 78,778 times
I went to Amity (its a regional school that covers Orange, Woodbridge and Bethany - or it did 10+ years ago), and it is a really great school system. I recomend Woodbrige, although that town is pricey. Bethany is a nice option if you like a more "county" feel.

Best thing to do is get in the car on a saturday with a paper map in hand - and just drive around.

PS - I feel your pain on the commute - Norwalk to Wall Street - 2hrs door to door.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbee View Post

Best thing to do is get in the car on a saturday with a paper map in hand - and just drive around.
True this.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:13 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Cheshire.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:02 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,692,902 times
Quote:
The job is close to where 84/691 intersect (what looks like the far north of Cheshire)
that wouldn't by any chance be a small insurance co located on Commerce Ct would it (off Rt 10 about a mile south of 84/691 interchange)? i just finished a job there and i live in Middletown. not a bad commute at all (~17 minutes) except i hate Rt 10. a pain in the ass no matter what time of day it is.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:15 PM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
toddb - Congratulations on the new job. I agree with the others that Cheshire is a nice town but it is more suburban in character than Fairfield. I think it more resembles Trumbull.

for a town more like Fairfield, I would recommend West hartford but it is about 20 miles from where you work. There would be no really bad traffic issues so you could make the trip in about 30 minutes. You might also look into Farmington which is a little closer. Jay

Old 09-29-2011, 09:08 PM

Being in Orange will also offer similar amenities to Fairfield with its major retail center and beaches nearby in Milford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut