Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:05 AM

879 posts, read 1,659,529 times

Advertisements

As I've posted about before, I've been investigating educational options around here. I noticed that there were no elementary school kids under the "gifted and talented" label here in Stratford and it sounded suspicious. Someone just told me it's because the schools can't afford GT programs, and that basically no one has them unless you're in one of the really rich towns. Is that true??? If so, I'm pretty pissed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 10:16 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,973,706 times
Very few towns have gifted and talented education programs. Legally towns are required to identify TAG students, but are not required to provide any services for them. They are usually the first thing to go in budget cuts.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:22 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Of the towns you were looking at, it looks like Oxford and Monroe have the best Gifted and Talented program as of 2010:
  • Trumbull for grades 3-5.
  • Oxford for grades K-8
  • Orange for grades K-6
  • Woodbridge for grades PK-6.
  • Shelton for just grade 6.
  • Milford for grades 4-8
  • Stratford for grades 4-8.
  • Monroe for grades K-8.
Doesn't look like Easton offers one.

Source: http://www.sde.ct.gov/sde/lib/sde/pd.../2008gtdir.pdf

Old 10-18-2011, 10:48 AM

Wow, thanks for that, KidYankee! I was trying to find that data earlier and wasn't even sure where to start). That definitely helps with future decisionmaking.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:50 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
As I've posted about before, I've been investigating educational options around here. I noticed that there were no elementary school kids under the "gifted and talented" label here in Stratford and it sounded suspicious. Someone just told me it's because the schools can't afford GT programs, and that basically no one has them unless you're in one of the really rich towns. Is that true??? If so, I'm pretty pissed.
Huh?

The ALPS program has been run out of Stratford Academy for many decades.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Huh?

The ALPS program has been run out of Stratford Academy for many decades.
That only starts at 4th grade though, I think.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:41 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
That only starts at 4th grade though, I think.
Yes, but Stratford Academy itself is a magnet school that begins with Kindergarten.

Whether or not ALPS is a separate 4-6 program for "super-advanced" students, i honestly don't know. You would have to contact the Academy for that information.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:17 PM

Yeah, I know Stratford Academy is a magnet, but I think it's just lottery, right? It doesn't specifically pull G/T kids. I'm nervous about G/T kids not having enough challenge to keep them occupied. Several people I know have turned to homeschooling for this reason, but I don't really want to do that.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:11 AM

6 posts, read 9,443 times
This is easy...our son, now 16 is gifted and talented and our town had nothing. We got him into the MAGNET/CHOICE program. The teachers LOVE to teach and they LOVE kids!
He is now at the University MAGNET HIGH Science & Engineering School in Hartford. They have ALL honors classes as well as COLLEGE classes. He took AP biology as a sophomore and is now taking a college electronics class.
The MAGNET schools are EXCELLENT, and they are all over Connecticut. Go to the BOARD OF EDUCATION and make them give you the book. They will NOT want you to have it, but you have the right to CHOICE in Connecticut. Your childs college resume will be noticed more quickly from one of these schools as opposed to a public school.
Bus comes right to the driveway too!

Old 10-19-2011, 01:11 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,920 times
I went through the Greenwich public school system, and we had TAG (gifted & talented). It started in one of the early grades in elementary school. As I remember, we were just taken out of our regular classrooms for a few hours a couple times a week and did critical-thinking activities in small groups, things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut