Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 10:03 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENN24 View Post
Look at Rocky Hill, Wethersfield, South Windsor, and maybe Tolland. All these towns are affordable and safe. Manchester is generally safe and extremely affordable. IMO, I would not recommend Vernon.
There is nothing wrong with Vernon. The only marginally questionable area is Rockville and even that is not considered to be unsafe. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 11:21 AM

61 posts, read 108,423 times
Can someone give me rough estimate on utilities (electricity for the most part since that will be the major bill every month)? I usually keep my temperature around low 70s during winter and mid 70s during summer down south.

Also, I actually found couple places with a reasonable rent rate in Hartford city. Should I absolutely avoid it and go with outside Hardford area (Rocky Hill, Wethersfield, Vernon, Manchester, etc as previously mentioned)? Thanks

Old 12-04-2011, 11:32 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enilder View Post
Can someone give me rough estimate on utilities (electricity for the most part since that will be the major bill every month)? I usually keep my temperature around low 70s during winter and mid 70s during summer down south.

Also, I actually found couple places with a reasonable rent rate in Hartford city. Should I absolutely avoid it and go with outside Hardford area (Rocky Hill, Wethersfield, Vernon, Manchester, etc as previously mentioned)? Thanks
There are places in Hartford's West End that are safe and pleasant, however, I would never rent in Hartford site-unseen.

I would strongly prefer a suburb. West Hartford would be my first choice in your situation.

And I agree with Jay-- Vernon is fine. I lived there for 18 months before moving back to Westport. I liked it and had no problems.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
There are places in Hartford's West End that are safe and pleasant, however, I would never rent in Hartford site-unseen.

I would strongly prefer a suburb. West Hartford would be my first choice in your situation.

And I agree with Jay-- Vernon is fine. I lived there for 18 months before moving back to Westport. I liked it and had no problems.
Only problem(?) with West Hartford is that I have to commute to East Hartford. Unless I am missing something, I should probably stay on the east side of Hartford city. Correct me if I am wrong.

On that note, the traffic shouldn't be that bad going out of city in the morning, right? (East bound of Hartford city)

How bad is the west bound (into Hartford city)? Just a thought if I decide to live east side of East Hartford and commute to East Hartford.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:02 PM

95 posts, read 292,116 times
Honestly, in this situation, I would highly recommend Manchester, particularly near the mall. Lot going on in this area and you can get a lot for your money there.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:18 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Only problem(?) with West Hartford is that I have to commute to East Hartford. Unless I am missing something, I should probably stay on the east side of Hartford city. Correct me if I am wrong.

On that note, the traffic shouldn't be that bad going out of city in the morning, right? (East bound of Hartford city)

How bad is the west bound (into Hartford city)? Just a thought if I decide to live east side of East Hartford and commute to East Hartford.
You are correct that it is best to not live on one side of Hartford and commute to the other. Traffic through Hartford is tough in the morning and no matter how you try you wil hit it.

There are some nice apartments in Hartford but generally if they look like a bargain there is a reason. I agree with Tenn24, look in Manchester. You also might want to consider Wethersfield or Newington that have some very nice reasonable apartments available. Jay

Old 12-05-2011, 06:00 PM

Any members live in Manchester apartments? I was so close to apply for 1 apartment until I read a horrendous review on it. Of course, people write reviews to "complain" but it sure isn't easy to bypass that uneasiness.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You are correct that it is best to not live on one side of Hartford and commute to the other. Traffic through Hartford is tough in the morning and no matter how you try you wil hit it.

There are some nice apartments in Hartford but generally if they look like a bargain there is a reason. I agree with Tenn24, look in Manchester. You also might want to consider Wethersfield or Newington that have some very nice reasonable apartments available. Jay
Jay, how is route 5/15 from Newington to East Hartford? Since it's only 10 miles, I don't think it's going to take more than 20 minutes but just wondering if there's a traffic as bad as traffic on the west coast.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:25 AM

7 posts, read 8,052 times
I would probably recommend Manchester for a single bedroom appartment, like everybody else here. I work in East Hartford and have a few coworkers who live in the Pavillions in Manchester and seem to like it. They have been in the same place for many years (approx 10) so I assume that they have no real problems with living in the complex or Manchester in general.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:41 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Any members live in Manchester apartments? I was so close to apply for 1 apartment until I read a horrendous review on it. Of course, people write reviews to "complain" but it sure isn't easy to bypass that uneasiness.
You can pretty much ignore those "reviews". They really are nothing more than b*tch sessions.

Apartment living is apartment living. You'll hear your neighbors have sex, flush a toilet, make noise etc. It just is what it is. People who are not familiar with it, generally get on some sight and "review" their shock, probably coming from mom and dad's 2500sf colonial all their life.

Which apartments would you like to know about? I have friends who have lived in just about all of them and spent time there. The Mills, Aspen Woods etc.

You'll have no traffic into East Hartford save for the rare occasional accident. The commute from Newington is cake as well FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut