Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 AM

168 posts, read 275,475 times

Advertisements

Love the video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 12:18 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
I wouldn't take anything seriously regarding NCLB…and especially Waiting for Superman.

What you should be concerned about is the amount of funding that will be going to charter schools if Malloy and Pryor get their way. One breakdown would be for per pupil spending:

Cheshire student $16 more
Milford student $45 more
Manchester $160 more
New Britain $245 more
Achievement First Charter school $2,600 more

Given that there are only 6,000 charter school students in the state through Achievement First, I'd say that's pretty shady.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:44 PM

168 posts, read 275,475 times
And you have my neighboring town Madison that has one of the top school districts in CT and they spend almost the least in the state.

Inverse corelation of $

Old 02-09-2012, 05:28 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilfman View Post
Inverse corelation of $
Not entirely true. While towns like Madison may spend less per pupil than New Haven, I'd be curious by the scale of the difference. If it's a few hundred dollars out of the $10k/year average then I'd consider it fairly insignificant and not a very strong corelation.

The issue with NCLB is that it establishes the issue of "teachers not doing their jobs" which honestly makes little sense. Trouble districts are trouble because of the social factors that lie outside of the school grounds. There do seem to be some small things that districts can do to increase student performance (better food, shorter periods in class, more excercise, mandatory summer school a few times a week all have been showed as methods to prevent rollback) but limiting the vision to schools ignores wider social issues.

Schools alone won't raise economic standing (which is the assumption behind NCLB), but economic growth seems impossible without them.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:42 PM

713 posts, read 760,849 times
Stop blaming the teachers. There's nothing you can do if the damn students don't even show up to class, they are disruptive in class, they don't want to spend the time to do the school work.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:47 AM

633 posts, read 1,645,231 times
The school needs to really show the students what they need to see their self when they finished. My teacher always tell us about making our dreams about having money, a home and all of that.

Which made me get serious with my school work from high school.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:51 AM

633 posts, read 1,645,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Not entirely true. While towns like Madison may spend less per pupil than New Haven, I'd be curious by the scale of the difference. If it's a few hundred dollars out of the $10k/year average then I'd consider it fairly insignificant and not a very strong corelation.

The issue with NCLB is that it establishes the issue of "teachers not doing their jobs" which honestly makes little sense. Trouble districts are trouble because of the social factors that lie outside of the school grounds. There do seem to be some small things that districts can do to increase student performance (better food, shorter periods in class, more excercise, mandatory summer school a few times a week all have been showed as methods to prevent rollback) but limiting the vision to schools ignores wider social issues.

Schools alone won't raise economic standing (which is the assumption behind NCLB), but economic growth seems impossible without them.
I remember some of my teachers would take us outside, which I think helped a lot. Middle Schooler and High Schoolers are always have to stay inside which I think they should let them out for almost an hour. This may help them not go crazy about want to skip school.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:16 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
I remember some of my teachers would take us outside, which I think helped a lot. Middle Schooler and High Schoolers are always have to stay inside which I think they should let them out for almost an hour. This may help them not go crazy about want to skip school.
Somewhat not true in Norwalk, where all but one of the middle schools actually have "recess" of sorts during lunch. And at Brien McMahon High School, there are tables to eat outside during nice weather. Any other district I've been in in CT you are correct though.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:21 AM

24 posts, read 39,324 times
I agree with you on the Bi-polar issue. When I moved here this summer I contacted almost every school district within a 30 mile radius of the U.S. Coast Guard Acad. Besides Westerly & Greenwich in RI I only found several school districts that I would send my kids to. They were from Branford (too far) to Lyme minus two on the shore.

My wife fell in love with a town on the CT River until those school reports came in.

One town which was not really considered had 25% of the town on medicaid and food stamps.

I laugh at Weingarten and her union cronies that even if the US is so low international we are so creative. As my wife a Brit says why would anybody in the UK be trying to be an entrenpenuer when over 60% of your money is taken in taxes: VAT 21% which is multiplied from supplier to retail (a shirt here cost double there). She always said they love to hang out, drink beer, watch soccer (Euro-trash sport) and be like Homer Simpson. The last thing the UK invented was the Hovercraft. My wife is a school teacher too: she likes rugby and cricket; university sports!

I wish Albert Shankler was still around. At least he believed in teacher evaluation. My wife says in the UK you get a yearly review.

[My neighbor, a retired Navy Admiral and his wife a retired Navy Captain] said except for Fairfield County, a few towns around Hartford and several shore towns this state would be like West Virginia or rural AL: I believe him now.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:35 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastyc6 View Post
[My neighbor, a retired Navy Admiral and his wife a retired Navy Captain] said except for Fairfield County, a few towns around Hartford and several shore towns this state would be like West Virginia or rural AL: I believe him now.
Probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard anyone say. Everyone on this forum knows that's complete and total nonsense.

Look at economic data for many other towns, like in the west and northwest of the state and he'll be whistling a different tune. Even the worst most depressed rural town in CT is absolutely nothing like the backwoods of West Virginia or AL where adult literacy is even a problem. You can't find a single town like that in CT let alone the 'rest of the state' beyond what you mentioned.

But at least I can chalk it up to them being totally ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut