Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 08:51 AM

61 posts, read 108,413 times

Advertisements

I attempted to get some responses in photo thread but JayCT told me that I may be better off making a new thread so here it goes.

I recently moved to CT and don't know many places to drive around and enjoy the scenery. I am not looking to hike or anything though. I looked at "List of things to do and see in CT" but it doesn't fit my criteria. I can just drive around random places but I think that's a big waste of time and gas ($$$!!!).

I am in the east side of Hartford and looking for places within ~1 hour radius. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 09:19 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Since you're east of Hartford and looking for general drive-thru scenery, I'd suggest you create a route for yourself, using this:
National Register of Historic Places listings in Tolland County, Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
as your guide.

You can pick something that's really only an hour if you wanted to drive without stopping. But you could stop at various points along the way and extend it to a day-trip, starting after breakfast, and turning around after lunch somewhere at the mid-point of the trip.

Mansfield has a good number of scenic *and* historical spots, including UConn/Storrs, and (oddly enough) the jail.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Since you're east of Hartford and looking for general drive-thru scenery, I'd suggest you create a route for yourself, using this:
National Register of Historic Places listings in Tolland County, Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
as your guide.

You can pick something that's really only an hour if you wanted to drive without stopping. But you could stop at various points along the way and extend it to a day-trip, starting after breakfast, and turning around after lunch somewhere at the mid-point of the trip.

Mansfield has a good number of scenic *and* historical spots, including UConn/Storrs, and (oddly enough) the jail.
Thanks for the link. Why am I not surprised that Wiki has all these things. I will look into it!

Old 04-14-2012, 10:52 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Lake Waramaug
Route 202/7, Kent, Roxbury, Washington, Woodbury, Cornwall, etc.
Gillette's Castle
Essex
Chester
Devil's Hopyard
Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
Downtown West Hartford
Along the Coast in Branford, Guilford, Madison, and the Downtowns of those towns
Old Saybrook
Along the Coast in Milford, Silver Sands State Park, Downtown Milford
Yale Campus and all its amazing architecture
Hillhouse Ave in New Haven, St. Ronan Street

Old 04-15-2012, 07:07 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
I made a comprehensive drive route around NW CT. You can see it here.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/8265441-post3.html

This is a nice drive in Eastern CT.

Route 169, Connecticut: Scenic Drives of America Feature | Travel Guide of America

Old 04-15-2012, 06:45 PM

Thanks everyone! EXACTLY what I was looking for

Old 04-16-2012, 11:03 AM

35 posts, read 93,910 times
Just my opinion, as I grew up in the town and nearby, and it turns out it's 1 hr and 2 minutes away,
but if you go to Mystick you'll want to live there. Old Lyme, North Stonington (though inland), all along the shore is great.
But make it a weekend. The smell of woodsmoke at night, or standing on the bridge, when I was a child there has never left me.
If you eat lobster (which I can't) this is the place!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Garbo...53023658062883
or
Welcome to Abbott's Lobster in Noank CT!
(practically a walk from mystic.)
But all of Groton and New London...And it's a hop over to Rhode Island,
(take the back way thru N. Stonington etc. or Rt. 1 or right along the shore
east out of Mystick) Oh yeah! The Seaport!
You know I just found out recently that they used the old oak trees that were
killed here in Galveston in Hurricane Ike, to rebuild the Captain Morgan whaling ship
that's at the seaport?
Block Island, Martha's Vineyard. Any back road in Connecticut has
something beautiful right around the corner.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:28 PM

7 posts, read 21,379 times
check out goodspeed Award Winning Musical Theatre at Goodspeed Opera House and The Norma Terris Theatre in East Haddam & Chester, Conn. - Goodspeed Musicals The drives around that area are very very scenic. Plus the area around it is nice too, but its a really nice place to go for a drive around that area.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:51 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Abbott's has an amazing location, but I found the food to be terrible and service lackluster.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:06 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
I was in Fairfield today. While its outside your 1 hour radius I just want to make a point that you can go anywhere to get some cool pictures.

And please dont forget, post some good ones in the Photo thread. :-) (with location if you remember)

On my way back home in Fairfield. You dont have to go far to see country living. :-)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut