Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times

Advertisements

Wilton more laid back than Guilford? Hmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 04:00 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Guilford is pretty laid back. I'm not sure I agree that Wilton is more laid back. Wilton is definitely more laid back than Madison though.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:22 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Kid: Now you are just being obtuse. Wilton and Weston are more laid back than Westport, Darien or even Guilford. I think you may be trying to get a rise out of me.... However since I'm not from the second list of towns, I'll just let it slide.

Cambium: Fellow "Wiltonian", care to interject?
Obtuse? Don't think so... and actually anyone who thinks Wilton is more laid back than Guilford has no idea what they're talking about, so I'd consider that opinion as obtuse. Guilford is INCREDIBLY laid back and relaxed. Have you ever been there? I'm guessing not...

I have better things to do than to "get a rise" out of you. You're not that important.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:57 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Not particularly... Let's back this one up. I haven't lived in Guilford, but probably have visited town as often as you likely have in Wilton. In fact, if you don't live in Wilton, you aren't likely to spent any time in town other than passing through via Rt 7 or Rt 33.

Both towns are affluent bedroom communities with a high concentration of professionals. Long commute times are common to both municipalities. Crime is higher in Guilford and both towns do suffer from commuting traffic. At the end of the day, we have a similar dynamic between towns. Long commutes, traffic and crime all weight on quality of life and "laid back" factor. I think the larger lots in Wilton and lower crime provide a slight edge. Also FWIW, Guilford is a charming laid back town. I will echo Mike's comments that this does not cover Madison. Talk about a "chip".

Old 04-25-2012, 07:56 AM

Commuting from Guilford to New Haven really isn't bad. It doesn't compare to FFC traffic. I have not been in Guilford as much as Wilton, as I worked in Wilton for a bit. The people I know in Wilton are pretty intense, nice people - but intense. Visiting Guilford/Madison is very calming for me, and they feel generally less congested than the FFC area. But perhaps being a resident is different.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:10 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Our traffic isn't that bad actually Stylo. 7 is much approved post-widening. Very quick to in town or the South Norwalk Metro North station. Commuting to Greenwich/Stamford/Westport is pain free and about 30 minutes any time of day if you avoid the Merritt/95. Rt 33 for Westport, 106 to the Merritt (or local) for Greenwich/Stamford. Exit 36 on the Merritt is generally ahead of the morning backlogs so it's pretty quick. The Q bridge on the other hand can be a disaster. It's hardly scientific evidence but my Facebook friends from Madison/Guilford "vent" about their commute to NH/Milford more than my Fairfield to Stamford acquaintances. Also Route 7 is really not congested, but once you get off the hub, the local roads are the antithesis of congested. Even by Eastern CT standards.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:55 AM

156 posts, read 278,045 times
The people I work with from Wilton are more rude and high maintenance than the people I work with from Greenwich. I don't see Guilford as being as bad.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:58 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Question for the OP: Do you have the opportunity to spend a day, or perhaps a weekend in lower CT? If you have a chance to drive around and explore a few different towns this can help a great deal. There's a few towns to cross off the list if you'd like a place with MetroNorth stops and a reasonable commute to NYC. Also your budget will largely determine where you end up. I'm not saying this to be biased here, but I really think Fairfield could provide you with what you need as far as train access, shorter commute, shopping, access to beaches and more suburban, leafy areas, etc.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Our traffic isn't that bad actually Stylo. 7 is much approved post-widening. Very quick to in town or the South Norwalk Metro North station. Commuting to Greenwich/Stamford/Westport is pain free and about 30 minutes any time of day if you avoid the Merritt/95. Rt 33 for Westport, 106 to the Merritt (or local) for Greenwich/Stamford. Exit 36 on the Merritt is generally ahead of the morning backlogs so it's pretty quick. The Q bridge on the other hand can be a disaster. It's hardly scientific evidence but my Facebook friends from Madison/Guilford "vent" about their commute to NH/Milford more than my Fairfield to Stamford acquaintances. Also Route 7 is really not congested, but once you get off the hub, the local roads are the antithesis of congested. Even by Eastern CT standards.
The Merritt from east Greenwich to west Stamford all the way to Fairfield is a nightmare during most afternoon commutes. Mornings are better but can get nasty too. The Q bridge maybe backs up 2 miles, not 20. I'm sure Kidyankee can provide more insight as his wife commutes from Branford to Stamford daily. You can backroad commute from Wilton to Stamford or Greenwich though, but the highways are still more congested than they are in the New Haven area. Also, in Guilford it's just as easy - if not easier - to commute on 22/80 to 91 to get to New Haven and skip the Q Bridge entirely.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:09 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Kid: Now you are just being obtuse. Wilton and Weston are more laid back than Westport, Darien or even Guilford. I think you may be trying to get a rise out of me.... However since I'm not from the second list of towns, I'll just let it slide.

Cambium: Fellow "Wiltonian", care to interject?
Nope. I actually agree with that. Wilton does have a more laid back atmosphere than Darien/Westport. Witnessed first hand. Maybe contribute to that Darien is being closer to Post Road/I-95/NY. But back to my concern, OP needs to understand the overall feel of Lower Fairfield area is not "getting away" from that rush mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut