Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:17 PM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

I would suggest the suburban towns in the Danbury area. Other Fairfield County towns would either be too expensive, not desirable or not convenient to White Plains.

Ridgefield is very nice but also very upscale and pricey so it may not be what you are looking for. Bethel is also a nice town and could work. Also consider New Fairfield and Brookfield which are also very nice small towns. Note that if you live on the western side of New Fairfield commuting to White Plains is not that bad. You could just take Route 37 to I-684 in New York and you avoid some of the traffic on I-84 in the Danbury area. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 04:28 PM

83,524 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Just throwing an opinion out there to ponder...Why not just go for North Carolina? You might live like Kings and Queens there compared to here and not be inside a County with 1 Million People.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:10 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
I'd highly suggest you consider New Fairfield. You can take back roads to 684 so you don't even have to get on 84. From Bethel you have to go all the way through Danbury which can be tough during rush hour. The only thing Bethel has over New Fairfield is a downtown - but you can still take advantage of that living in NF.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:42 PM

92 posts, read 203,183 times
Commuting from New Fairfield to white plains is a piece of cake. Especially if, like Jay mentioned, you live on the west side of town. No need to take 84 AT ALL -- back roads will get you to 684 in 10 minutes flat. I would say door to door commute (since youre working off hours) will be 40 minutes. I used to work weird hours in tarry town, and my commute was exactly 43 minutes! Still shocks me that it took less time to get from new fairfield to tarrytown than it now takes me to get to Stamford (which is in the 50-55 minutes range)

Old 05-31-2012, 06:19 AM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Just throwing an opinion out there to ponder...Why not just go for North Carolina? You might live like Kings and Queens there compared to here and not be inside a County with 1 Million People.
The OP works in White Plains. They are not asking to relocate to another section of the country. Why suggest somewhere that requires a complete move and giving up everything they have? Jay

Old 05-31-2012, 06:04 PM

66 posts, read 139,336 times
Thanks again for the help. Actually saw several houses on line in NF and Bethel that look interesting, so we'll see. I think we'd rather not do the 95 side of CT, based on your helpful info.

What about Monroe? Is it farther from the highway? Seems like it is not as convenient for travelling.

Can anyone tell me about summer activities in these areas mentioned above. Town camp and community pool is a great feature, if available. Year round kid activities are even better. I tried to find out about pools, but could not.

We've been casually looking for a while but now is the time to step it up!

Old 05-31-2012, 06:07 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGMOM View Post
What about Monroe? Is it farther from the highway? Seems like it is not as convenient for travelling.
Monroe is very nice but much further from White Plains.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:23 PM

92 posts, read 203,183 times
New Fairfield does not have a town pool, but does a (small) town beach on candlewood lake. Town sponsored summer programs are run through park and rec, or you could go the private summer day camp route -- I think bright beginnings has one. Summertime in new Fairfield is definitely the most fun time of year. Lots to do at the lake, summer drive-in movie nights at Squantz pond, the circus comes to town, and a carnival sometime in July, with lots of parades and beach concerts sprinkled throughout. Pls know though it is a small town and for the most part very quiet. It's about 5 miles from 84, and because there isn't much of a commercial base, you don't have much action or people from out of town coming in (with the exception of course of the out of town summer residents, who I think appreciate those qualities). If you moved here, you definitely will be making plenty of trips to neighboring danbury and Brookfield
I can't comment on Monroe other than to say it's further, by a lot, and that i think it (may?) have a town pool

Old 05-31-2012, 07:43 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
If it's off hours you might be OK. I currently commute from lower Westchester to Stamford and while I grant it's the "reverse commute" and "off hours" (job hours are 7:15am to about 2:30pm), I do it in about 25 minutes. I've had similar jobs in Norwalk, Trumbull and Bridgeport, and with no traffic they've taken me 35 minutes (Norwalk) and 45 minutes (Trumbull and Bridgeport) respectively.

But rush hour coming from lower CT into Westchester is brutal. I've sometimes been on 95 and the Merritt and seen bumper to bumper going the other way even at 7am!

Good lucK!

Old 06-01-2012, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGMOM View Post
Thanks again for the help. Actually saw several houses on line in NF and Bethel that look interesting, so we'll see. I think we'd rather not do the 95 side of CT, based on your helpful info.

Can anyone tell me about summer activities in these areas mentioned above. Town camp and community pool is a great feature, if available. Year round kid activities are even better. I tried to find out about pools, but could not.

We've been casually looking for a while but now is the time to step it up!
for commuting to White Plains it is a long, long commute. They do however have a town pool and lake area (Wolfe Park and Great Hollow). Nice town overall though if you don't have to commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut