Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 12:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,941 times

Advertisements

I am starting a job in Enfield and so must relocate to the area. I am seeking advice on the best place to live for a 22 year old. Looking for somewhere that is safe yet has decent nightlife and lots of young professionals. I hear West Hartford is a good option. Anywhere else I should consider? Thanks for the help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 09:28 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Enfield is about halfway between Hartford and Springfield, MA. It is a very suburban town that is geared more toward families. For a decent singles scene you really would have to go to either Hartford or Springfield. I can't really vouch for Springfield though but I will say for a small city Hartford is not bad. There are clubs and bars and a lot of singles either live downtown, the West End or in west Hartford. You should check the area out to see which is more to your taste. Jay

Old 06-18-2012, 07:23 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,724,498 times
West Hartford is a good place for a 22 year-old. But so is Hartford - downtown and the West Side are definitely options. The city's west side is filled with students from Trinity, UConn and UHart, and there's lots of apartments and duplexes for rent. Downtown has mostly high-rise apartments and these are nice, but they will probably be more expensive.

Springfield I would not recommend. I used to hang out there a few years ago when one of my friends used to bartend at a dive bar on Worthington Street. Everyone that I've talked to who lives either in Springfield or nearby has told me it's no longer a safe place to be. It's not really a nice place. Northampton is definitely a fun place to be - I went there for the first time a few weeks ago & I couldn't believe how nice it is. It's about 30 minutes from Enfield - check it out.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:08 PM

20 posts, read 36,499 times
Safe, decent nightlife, professionals — West Hartford is your answer (specifically near then town center). Look no further.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:22 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,805,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unother View Post
Safe, decent nightlife, professionals — West Hartford is your answer (specifically near then town center). Look no further.
I wouldn't call West Hartford a young person's mecca. I think it is over-rated. At 22, unless you're making boatloads of money, I don't think you'll be frequenting the West Hartford bars and restaurants.

The daily commute from West Hartford to Enfield would eat up a good portion of your time as well.

Windsor Center is developing into a pretty neat place where a fair number of young people are choosing to live. There are some nice restaurants and a couple of neat bars like the Union Street Tavern. Housing is affordable and it is a short jaunt into Hartford by car, bus or even train for night life. It is also an easy commute to Enfield.

BTW, if you like BBQ Nat Haydens is hard to beat.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:27 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,268,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtoshiba View Post
I am starting a job in Enfield and so must relocate to the area. I am seeking advice on the best place to live for a 22 year old. Looking for somewhere that is safe yet has decent nightlife and lots of young professionals. I hear West Hartford is a good option. Anywhere else I should consider? Thanks for the help in advance!
Enfield is not far from Springfield, Mass. and I am sure there are some nice places there with decent night life. You could always go more towards Hartford but my experience having lived here in CT most of my life is that Hartford has a fairly decent downtown area but some areas are super rough. My advice...stay in Enfield if you can and go for your nightlife in Springfield. Good luck and congrats on your job.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:39 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,724,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I wouldn't call West Hartford a young person's mecca. I think it is over-rated. At 22, unless you're making boatloads of money, I don't think you'll be frequenting the West Hartford bars and restaurants.
You do not have to be rich to live in WeHa. I'm certainly not and I live here, and I own. If you're renting an apartment or a duplex it's really not bad. And there's more to do than frequent the center. Park Road has evolved quite a bit and in some ways I actually like this area better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian
Windsor Center is developing into a pretty neat place where a fair number of young people are choosing to live. There are some nice restaurants and a couple of neat bars like the Union Street Tavern. Housing is affordable and it is a short jaunt into Hartford by car, bus or even train for night life. It is also an easy commute to Enfield.

BTW, if you like BBQ Nat Haydens is hard to beat.
Meh, I work in Windsor. It's alright but boring as hell for a young person, IMO. It's safe, affordable and convenient to Enfield since I-91 is there, but there doesn't seem to be alot going on there. I will definitely check out that BBQ place, though.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:13 AM

30 posts, read 47,253 times
windor's where I'm from! what what! any way, it is boring, but if you could find a place, it is the in between to enfield and hartford/west hartford, that makes it the ideal place to live for you. so you could make it to work in like 15 minutes, and hartford/west hartford in as much time going the other way. hartford is a tricky area to navigate living wise, as what looks nice can still be in a dicey area. west hartford and hartford has as much going on as you're going to find in the immediate area, so start picking up an advocate and see what's going on, or go to their site, it's the local paper and will fill you in on random stuff that happens. windsor is boring, but it is safe, quiet, there's a couple of bars around there, plus you head towards windsor locks, and there's a couple of bars on the way there as well, so you might find a smaller place that you dig as well. If you have the job thing in place, it should be okay, you may (will) have moments of boredom, but there seemed to be people trying to make more happen there then when I lived there. good luck, don't live in enfield, manchester may be a little too trashy as well, but there's a lot of shopping malls, and possible restaurant-bars there to check out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut