Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Top rated schools, four seasons, amenities, close to beaches, surf zone

Old 09-30-2007, 06:03 AM

2 posts, read 5,630 times

Advertisements

I am living in the South and really want to make a move to a place that has culture, 4 seasons, clean air, better education for my children and just a fun and SAFE place to live. Also, I am tired of seeing a ton of REDNECKS down here ....and I have lived in the South for most of my life! I have not traveled enough to know what else is out there. Since I have lived near or on water for majority of my life, I would like to stay near water. I don't mind the snow but not a lot of it. We am tired of the humid HOT HOT weather! If there is anyone who could give some advice I would LOVE it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 09:31 AM

6 posts, read 28,654 times
im moving to texas, where u coming from down south? ct beaches suck. they are always contaminated and have about 1 ft waves. the real estate near water is over a million plus for anything decent. if you like to see 16 yr old mothers pushing baby carriages, then ct is the place to be. we have the best welfare progarm in the nation. the big cities are all full of losers with no jobs. everyone up here is stuck up and dont know what the rest of the world is like outside of their snobby town. hope this helps!!!!!

Old 09-30-2007, 01:28 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I do not agree with anything that dasandman79 says. Connecticut is a wonderful place to live. There are many great places to live and a lot of nice people. The beaches are fine here as well (no, we do not have big ocean type waves, but those are not easy to swim in anyway) and are cities are relatively small and very diverse. The public schools in Connecticut are among the best in the country. I love it here and do not want to live anywhere else. Let us know some more information and we can help you further. JMHO Jay

Old 09-30-2007, 01:35 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
JayCT

offered information that is objective. Long island sound is clean compared to other coastal regions of the nation. From New Haven east it is even better.

Real estate prices are very well priced- for the location. Connecticut's 'larger' cities are very small geographically as well as population- but are are surrounded by some of the wealthiest suburbs in the nation.

Stuck up? Go to other 'booming' areas of the country-then you will see 'stuck up.'

Old 09-30-2007, 07:29 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasandman79 View Post
im moving to texas, where u coming from down south? ct beaches suck. they are always contaminated and have about 1 ft waves. the real estate near water is over a million plus for anything decent. if you like to see 16 yr old mothers pushing baby carriages, then ct is the place to be. we have the best welfare progarm in the nation. the big cities are all full of losers with no jobs. everyone up here is stuck up and dont know what the rest of the world is like outside of their snobby town. hope this helps!!!!!
Having spent a great amount of time on beaches all over the USA, I should add....

dasandman79 is totally incorrect.

Long Island Sound - is far cleaner than anywhere along the Texas coast. Using Connecticut’s largest beach (Hammonasset Beach in Madison) compared to any Texas beach - places around Corpus Christi, Freeport, or Galveston - the Texas coast has many more annual beach closures for suspended matter (fecal, petroleum……etc.) in the surf zone than occurs on any Connecticut or Rhode Island beach in ten years. The coast of Texas and Louisiana has even earned a dubious nickname – Cancer Alley. Trust me…….you don’t want to go in the ocean in Texas. I surfed there in 1994 - and was down for 4 days with a bacterial infection.

As far as waves, well of course Connecticut has small waves – it doesn’t’ face the open sea – but Rhode Island Beaches are less than 90-min away for 100% of Connecticut residents!

Let an avid surfer tell you, Rhode Island has FAR better waves on an average day - than you’ll ever see in Texas in five years. This was last July. Small compared it what it’s like when it’s really on!
Attached Thumbnails
Making a Move-july-2006.jpg  

Old 10-01-2007, 08:03 AM

44 posts, read 124,358 times
I would say that somewhere in the route 2 corridor, maybe 5-15 miles outside of Hartford would be a good fit. Glastonbury, Hebron, Marlborough. The latter two are a little more rural, but fine communities. Glastonbury is as well. The reason I say this is that the drive to RI beaches (which I prefer) would mean about a 45-60 minute drive to the water. I don't have a strong enough knowledge of towns as you get closer to the water so am only commenting on what I think is a solid idea based on the areas I know very well. Good towns that will have you around the 1 hour drive time to beaches that I have enjoyed my whole life. Hope it helps, feel free to ask any questions.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:31 AM

5 posts, read 20,467 times
Some of the nicest towns by the water are Westbrook, Old Saybrook, Old Lyme, East Lyme, Waterford, New London and Groton. However, if you want property on the water, it is going to be pricey. You get what you pay for! What kind of home /property are you looking for? How far are you willing to drive to get to the beach? Would a Lake, pond or brook interest you?

Old 10-02-2007, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 5,630 times
Default Making a Move!

Thanks to everyone for such a quick response. I have to admit that some of the comments made me laugh! I agree with wavehunter007 in that the southern areas are considered "Cancer Alley" very true very true, especially after our recent Hurricanes. That is the MAIN reason why I want to get out of here. I am a chiropractor and have seen so many cases of Cancer here in our area since 2004. Also, there has been people that have moved here and shortly after reporting severe health problems! I did live in Texas for 8 years and not really impressed...way too HOT there! I have a buddy in CT whom is a chrio there as well as NY and he is trying to get us to make a move up there. I have never been to CT but heard good things about it.
My family and I are looking for excellent Education, Safe, 4 Seasons, Reasonably Priced, Close to Beaches or lakes, Close to a Larger City, and lots of activities for children and families. Does a Place like this ever Exist????

Old 10-02-2007, 10:26 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctiff03 View Post
Thanks to everyone for such a quick response. I have to admit that some of the comments made me laugh! I agree with wavehunter007 in that the southern areas are considered "Cancer Alley" very true very true, especially after our recent Hurricanes. That is the MAIN reason why I want to get out of here. I am a chiropractor and have seen so many cases of Cancer here in our area since 2004. Also, there has been people that have moved here and shortly after reporting severe health problems! I did live in Texas for 8 years and not really impressed...way too HOT there! I have a buddy in CT whom is a chrio there as well as NY and he is trying to get us to make a move up there. I have never been to CT but heard good things about it.
My family and I are looking for excellent Education, Safe, 4 Seasons, Reasonably Priced, Close to Beaches or lakes, Close to a Larger City, and lots of activities for children and families. Does a Place like this ever Exist????
There are many places in Connecticut that will meet your needs. I would suggest either the Hartford or New Haven areas. Both are very affordable and the suburbs of these small cities are great.

If you want to be close to the shore, the suburbs east of New Haven are stunning. Madison, Guilford, Branford, Clinton and Westbrook are all really nice towns with very good schools and located right on the water so there are beaches really close by. All have lots of family related activities and are convenient to New Haven by commuter rail or car. I will warn you though that traffic into New Haven in the morning can be tough, but not nearly as bad as some major cities I know. West of New Haven are some other great towns like Milford, Orange and Woodbridge. Plus the New Haven area is less than 2 hours from New York City.

Hartford is a very nice mid-sized city about an hour from the shore. It has a nice somewhat small downtown with great suburbs. West Hartford, Farmington, Simsbury, Avon and Glastonbury are considered by many to be the top suburbs because they offer excellent top rated schools as well as wonderful amenities like shopping, restaurants, parks, libraries and a lot of family oriented activities. Hartford is two hours to either New York or Boston, but does not have a great mass-transit system. Still though I like it here a lot. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut