Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:45 PM

625 posts, read 2,050,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtomakeitinCT View Post
Amy, I do not have to prove my knowledge of the city to you but since you asked. Yes, I do have personal knowledge of the city. My family grew up in Hartford, I worked downtown, in my younger years I hung out in Hartford every week at the more popular bars and unlike your 8 years, I have been in Hartford county for 20+ years. So no, it is not based on what I have heard it is firsthand experience. How long ago did you live in Hartford? And where exactly did you live? Since you have so much more experience with the area then I do why are you not offering the OP advice? Why are you instead trying to prove me wrong? Could it be the realtor thing? No agenda right?

Per state law, real estate agents are not allowed to give their opinion on "safe" or "unsafe" areas, as they are also not allowed to give opinions on schools systems because that opinion is subjective. What is safe or unsafe or a good or bad school district to me, may not be the same to someone else. That is why I avoid these discussions and do not give advice when people on these forums ask "where should I live, what should I avoid, where should I send my kids to school, etc." That is why I had not participated. Your blanket statements about Hartford struck a nerve though. "Bad, poor, crime ridden" That's not really how I perceive myself or my City.

It is best for people to do their own research, as you pointed out, and that's the advice I always give people if they ask me. But after your suggestion of doing their own research you stated "bottom line Hartford is not safe." It's not clear to me, how that is useful and objective?

I'm glad you've been in Hartford County 20+ years. I grew up elsewhere and have lived in other areas of the country. This is not the only city I've lived in and if you are used to city living, there is nothing different here than you would see in other areas. I find it discouraging and frustrating when posters on these forums make blanket statements and they have not/do not live in the place they are talking about. Hartford County is different than Hartford City and if you don't live in the City proper perhaps you shouldn't make gross generalizations, that's all I'm saying.

On the flip side, I see many people moving here and living here that like what Hartford has to offer. It's a personal choice and one that each person needs to make on their own, after they do proper research. I just wish the discussion was more balanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 12:48 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I am in fact there all hours of the night servicing many of the restaurants downtown such as City Steam and Black Eye'd Sally's, Tapas etc. I can tell you, on say a Sunday morning, I watch people living downtown get up, go for walks with their pets, get a coffee etc. There are no thugs on the corner etc. It's fine.
Quote:
Jay, if you have a wife and family like you state in your posts then why are you in Hartford on Sunday mornings watching as the residents wake up, eat breakfast, walk their dogs etc? Is there something we don't know about you?
Oh for crying out loud, grow up. I've watched the sun come up in that city more than the bums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post

You've been WHINING about the state for 2 years now. Just leave already. Or at least go back to your old thread, rather than clutter this OP's thread with your nonsense.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:03 PM

112 posts, read 243,468 times
Amy, exactly my point. I stated that the OP should not base where to live based on a forum, so for the most part we have the exact same opinion. Our opinion however differs on Hartford and you know what they say about opinions. What I have seen could be opposite of what you have seen and that leads to differing of opinions. I was at the Brickyard the night the shooting occured at the pizza shop and a coworker of mine was mugged in a downtown parking garage, just some of the things I've personally experienced that have shaped my opinion. But like I said the OP needs to do their own research.

All that aside Hartford does have one of THE highest crime rates in the nation and that is not my opinion that is a fact.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:09 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Amy, exactly my point. I stated that the OP should not base where to live based on a forum, so for the most part we have the exact same opinion. Our opinion however differs on Hartford and you know what they say about opinions. What I have seen could be opposite of what you have seen and that leads to differing of opinions. I was at the Brickyard the night the shooting occured at the pizza shop and a coworker of mine was mugged in a downtown parking garage, just some of the things I've personally experienced that have shaped my opinion. But like I said the OP needs to do their own research.
#$%! happens in cities. Don't like it, move to the country. There's plenty of sterile, safe places to live in this state.

Also, don't project your personal problems onto a place. It makes for bad advice.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:49 PM

14 posts, read 17,803 times
I lived in downtown Hartford for a year (Lofts at Main and Temple apartments) and I liked it. True, it is noisy and you occassionally hear sirens and the like, but what city does not have that. In my opinion, I find the center of the downtown generally safe and it has good restaurants. One thing you should take into consideration if moving into Hartford are the personal property taxes, the mill rate is 74.29% which is very high. Just my 2 cents...

Old 07-18-2012, 02:16 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
All that aside Hartford does have one of THE highest crime rates in the nation and that is not my opinion that is a fact.
How many times do we have to point out - Hartford proper is TINY, as other cities in the rankings are massive and encompass an area from Cheshire to Tolland. Naturally, Hartford (and other small Northeastern cities) would make the top.

It's not rocket science.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:24 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonEng View Post
I lived in downtown Hartford for a year (Lofts at Main and Temple apartments) and I liked it. True, it is noisy and you occassionally hear sirens and the like, but what city does not have that. In my opinion, I find the center of the downtown generally safe and it has good restaurants. One thing you should take into consideration if moving into Hartford are the personal property taxes, the mill rate is 74.29% which is very high. Just my 2 cents...
A freakin men. Thanks for the input. I agree, taxes are a huge issue, mostly for autos as most are renting downtown. I would add to that car insurance, which would be high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
How many times do we have to point out - Hartford proper is TINY, as other cities in the rankings are massive and encompass an area from Cheshire to Tolland. Naturally, Hartford (and other small Northeastern cities) would make the top.

It's not rocket science.
ad nauseum

Old 07-18-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:

It's not rocket science.
You are correct, Hartford is tiny and so are many Northeast cities I agree. Yet mostof the tiny Northeast cities are no where near the crime rate of Hartford. Yet take Compton CA which is roughly the size of Hartford. The chance of being a victim of a crime in Compton is 1 in 23. In Hartford it is 1 in 18.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:30 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
You are correct, Hartford is tiny and so are many Northeast cities I agree. Yet mostof the tiny Northeast cities are no where near the crime rate of Hartford. Yet take Compton CA which is roughly the size of Hartford. The chance of being a victim of a crime in Compton is 1 in 23. In Hartford it is 1 in 18.
The 11 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities: The 11 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities - US News & World Report

This is the updated list of most dangerous cities, 2012. Hartford isn't on it; actually, no CT cities are on it. Baltimore is - that's a "tiny Northeast city".

You were saying?

Old 07-19-2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
The 11 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities: The 11 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities - US News & World Report

This is the updated list of most dangerous cities, 2012. Hartford isn't on it; actually, no CT cities are on it. Baltimore is - that's a "tiny Northeast city".

You were saying?
Kid, I guess you are confused? What I was saying was that you're more likely to be a victim of crime in Hartford CT than in Compton CA. No where did I state Hartfords ranking in the most dangerous cities, which by the way, Hartford has been on the list numerous years in the top 20 (along with New Haven). In fact in the 2012 "25 most dangerous cities according to the fbi", New Haven ranks 18 and Hartford ranks 19.

Oh, and Baltimore is "mid-atlantic" not "northeast".

Now, shall we stop with all the bickering and keep this thread on track for the sake of the OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut