Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 PM

83,551 posts, read 75,428,957 times

Advertisements

(Sandy was 2+ times the energy of the Hiroshima atom bomb)
http://www.facebook.com/TomSkilling?ref=stream

"Last week's Hurricane Sandy was stronger than Hurricanes Katrina, Andrew or Hugo. Univ of Miami's Brian Mc Noldy, using Integrated Kinetic Energy (IKE) index calculations which total the energy wind a storm's winds release while also taking into account the size of the area over which these winds blow, reports Sandy hit with 2+ times the energy of the Hiroshima atom bomb. Election Day here in Chicago to cloud over & feature chilly light rain by afternoon. Low dew points could lead to evaporative cooling and some possible mixed ice pellets at some locations Tuesday. Serious nor-easter headed fr Mid-Atl coast decimated lst week by Sandy. In-house RPM computer forecast model is generating 60+ mph gusts later Wed into Thu. The early estimates from the Weather Service's Extratropical Cyclone storm surge model suggest tides could surge 3-8 ft above normal--far from Sandy levels but potentially damaging and destructive nonetheless. Expect flurry of watches/warnings to be issued in the hours and day ahead. In Chicago, it could be like spring in this weekend as winds at all atmospheric levels turn southerly. The importation of warm air into the area with the predicted vertically "stacked" S winds are behind Saturday are behind a 70-deg Chicago high temp forecast!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 06:44 AM

43,706 posts, read 44,464,744 times
Here is a website for anyone looking for gasoline:
Storm Sandy Gasoline Finder by GasBuddy.com

Old 11-06-2012, 02:48 PM

43,706 posts, read 44,464,744 times
According to NBC, 200 homes in Old Lyme has been deemed uninhabitable.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:50 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,803,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
According to NBC, 200 homes in Old Lyme has been deemed uninhabitable.
I think these bits of information explain why so many homes are still without power; I believe many homes are not -able- to have power restored. I think the data on this would be helpful.

Of the customers without power, how many are not -able- to have power restored due to significant damage to either the home, or the access -to- the home by the power companies (such as trees still down, or debris in roads, or conditions simply too hazardous to risk the trucks trying to get through, etc. etc. etc.)

Old 11-08-2012, 08:52 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,389,020 times
Default Amazing "You Are There" Reporting on this thread!

First - Cambium and Wavehunter, y'all are amazing. I want to nominate you both for Most Informative Posters. I was unfortunately on the road and could only pickup CD every once in awhile. I knew if I was going to try and log on with my phone, I just had to figure out where you guys were posting and it would be the most accurate and up to date information. So THANK YOU! I have family in the area and it was great to get a blow-by-blow (I guess the pun was intended... or freudian...)

Here's a link with pictures from the UK about Hurricane Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
Just a word of caution for all of those waiting until Sunday to see what happens...the stores are always, always out of water, batteries, flashlights, etc. by then. It doesn't take much to knock out power.

I learned this the very hard way last year as a hurricane newbie, and got all of my stuff today. It's not like I stocked up on stuff I don't use anyway.

Although my realtor told me a great tip last year as far as keeping stuff cold and that is to put gallon bottles of water in your freezer a few days in advance. They stay cold much longer than cubes.
Great advice. You were so right and I hope people listened. So let's say you buy things you always use or could use in an emergency and the storm blew over. So what? Now you have them in case another emergency arises. And -- as we saw -- millions of people could have used a little extra preparation. People forget that gas stations need electricity to pump gas. New rule for me - never let your tank get below half. It's just a good idea anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
this is developing into a nightmare...panic is starting to take place in supermarkets etc...I just foresee this delmarva landfall, we get gusty winds here and a crapload of rain, sick coastal flooding all the way from MD to cape cod...but New Jersey Delaware seem to be the stars of the show.
I saw this in Hurricanes Iwa and Iniki in Hawaii. Also in the aftermath of 9/11. People who are panicked are really scary. You just don't know what they are capable of. So getting things together ahead of time keeps you out of harm's way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Not really, you just think that because in your era of time there were fewer storms – so when they happen it seems so "unusual". Young people like yourself (no offense) often have little knowledge of historical weather events or might not have had old timers to pass down the stories of yesteryear – lol.

Tropical storms/hurricane are nothing new in the Tri-State/Middle Atlantic states; There have been more than 15 hurricane strikes and 30 tropical storm strikes to the North Atlantic states just since 1850. Not only has there been consecutive strikes many times, there has even been successive hurricane hits in the same year (1893, 1954). In 1954 the North Atlantic states felt the impacts of 4 tropical systems (3 hurricanes and one tropical storm). Three times 1821, 1855, and 1938 a hurricane hit the North Atlantic states on the same date in almost the same spot (Watch Hill, RI).

Imagine if we a record of 10,000 years to look at? Many of us would likely think quite differently.

In any event – Sandy looks weaker tonight but still has 65 knot winds. Hopefully when she crosses the Gulf Stream she will not gain any energy back. I hope.
Hope you're OK Wave! Saw your posts drop off as I was reading all 98 (!) pages of this thread in one sitting. That's quite the perspective as well - reading as people's tones change as the storm approaches! Your perspective is valuable. For so many people, "history began 50 years before I was born." I also saw somewhere else that this is the same or near the same date as the historic "Perfect Storm." Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Why not call 911? Is that likely to be out? That's a rather frightening thought.
Did you see that 911 was getting 10,000 calls every 30 minutes? As a cop once told me, "We really aren't First Responders. YOU are. We react. You should be ready to respond at all times." Food for thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I did. Took photos with today's newspaper in the photo of front/back/side of the house and yard. Also of the neighborhood since we're on the water.

I emptied out the fridge/freezer and put bags of ice in there so we can throw it in a cooler if need be. There is nothing left in the yard. Considering boarding up the large picture window on our second floor. Moved some furniture and important papers to the second floor and raised some furniture on crates.

This storm surge talk is making me very nervous. Can you tell? LOL
Good for you, Kid! I've done Disaster Preparedness training before and worked with disaster cleanup crews. You are my new poster child. Great planning and some new ideas for me as well. I like the photo with the newspaper in it. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieB4 View Post
make sure you do NOT run the generator inside the house or garage check to make sure it has oil as most wont start because of low oil, make sure you use FRESH gas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
I was out of power for 2 weeks after last year's hurricane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRollRocks View Post
What type of generator did you get Rashid? How much do they cost? Can you use them down in a cellar, or must you have them stay outside instead?
After living through 2 hurricanes in Hawaii and a couple of nasty dust storms in AZ, I finally got a solar generator. There are others like this one out there now, so do your research. (I'm not affiliated with this company, BTW) I LOVE my generator. Good news: even though it's only rated at 1200 W continuous, it runs a lot of my electronics and I get to keep it inside the house. Also, my sweetie needs a CPAP machine, so this runs that just fine. And I can set up the solar panels inside the house near windows if I have to. We have a skylight, so I set it up right under that most of the time. Panels are portable, so if the wind is blowing, ambient light actually works. It takes a little longer. I keep it plugged in so it's ready in case power goes out. Ran my computer, phone, iPad, the CPAP, a fan, and a small refrigerator on and off for several days. That company also has a little Guide10 portable solar panel with batteries. You can run your phone and iPad off that just fine. Nice to have in an emergency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixum View Post
What a lame storm in Bristol. We have had thunderstoms with more punch. Lowest power outages in state as of now. Wasted a lot of money preparing. Should have stayed in Salem.
Mixum - I beg to differ. No waste in preparing. The winter is still young. I always tell people in my classes to think of it as getting ready to go camping. Most things you buy you can use on a camping trip. And often the emergencies are just that - only we are camping in our second floor living rooms (if we are lucky!) It's just a good idea to have provisions for at least one week's emergency. Food, shelter, matches, candles, flashlights, water, portable (windup if you can) radio with emergency broadcast stations on it. (This is the one I have.) If you buy food, freeze dried is best because of the shelf life. If you bought it for Irene and didn't use it, you could still use it. Here's a good link with that info and some other checklists. Suddenly those preparedness people don't look so much like freaks, yes? You don't have to go overboard, just be able to take care of yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
When I was outside a few times experiencing the 60-70mph wind gusts, I was getting speechless at the utter power of the storm. I had my doors open too so the sound was just insane to hear along with snapping and thumps of trees.

CL&P Outages and UI below. Over 639,000 out. If there was rain in the mix I would of upped my total outage to 1 million in CT alone.
Cambium, I'm amazed you were able to stay focused enough to keep this thread going! Thanks again!

Quote:
OMG!

Greenwich, CT! Speechless at this video. Reminds us that if a fire broke out during a hurricane it's just catastrophic. This was in southwest CT on Vinny lane.

'Superheroes': Firefighters praised for halting spread of mansion fires - GreenwichTime

GFD Fire - YouTube
That's why I wanted to post about the solar generators. Fires are often started because people put their gas generators or BBQ's too close to the house in a storm. BTW - if you have boats, those huge solar batteries are marine batteries with inverters attached. Some of you who are more mechanically minded may be able to figure out how to create your own solar generators after looking at a couple that are on the market. Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I feel for all you in Connecticut and I hope you guys are doing well and are getting help that you need.

It sad the national media has left out the struggles your state occurred due to Sandy and I have to come to CD to see the effect.
It was like Sandy stopped in New York. Even New Jersey seems to be no longer mention.
I know here in North Carolina I had to look up online to find out the destruction she left to our Outer Banks.
You guys are in my thoughts.
I agree Sunny. The media is spotty these days. Thank God for the internet and people like Cambium, Wavehunter and all the other reporters on here. Same thing always happened when I lived in Hawaii. Hurricane Iniki was as strong as Hurricane Andrew, but got little coverage as both happened around the same time. And no one seems to know that Hawaii was hit very hard by 9/11. Without ships and planes going to/from the islands, food and fuel dropped dramatically almost immediately. 50,000 people lost jobs within a couple of months of the attack. That's a lot of people in a state with only 1.2 million people. Tourism (the mainstay of the economy) dropped precipitously. And much of the military (the second biggest 'industry' in the islands) were deployed to various parts of the world. So the income from that source dropped as well. But you never heard about it anywhere else. Like you, not taking away from the horrible tragedy then and now in NYC. But there are relevant and timely news stories from other parts of the planet.

Quote:
The U.S. Air Force Reserve's 439th Airlift wing deliivers Arizona Public Service crews and vehicles to Westover Air Reserve Base to assist CL&P in the recovery of Hurricane Sandy.

There are now over 7,000 people working to respond to Sandy's epic devastation. While many of these folks are hard at work making repairs in the field across the state, the best place to get customer-specific information is our call center (800-286-2000). Representatives are not stationed at our field offices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmo View Post
I'm not looking to be negative, but the workers are getting paid a lot of money to come up here to work. We should definately thank them for doing so, but I don't think that it is CL&P's job to make sure that we all know which states are sending help. CL&Ps job is to make sure that they are paid and that out power gets turned on.
Yay Arizona! Hey gtmo This article says a lot of these people are volunteering as well. See guys? Arizona people aren't so bad! We often send crews out to hurricanes, fires, floods...

Reading all 98 pages at once was very instructive. You can see how people move from nonchalance to concern to getting ready. If you have some things ready to go at all times, you can focus on the important things like your kids and pets. Have papers in one place so you can grab them. Have a good external backup drive in a secure place that is always updated so if nothing else, you can grab the backup and not worry about disconnecting a desktop or locating your laptop. Always have food and water ready. Make sure your first aid kit and medicines are up to date and have a months extra on hand. Have a plan with your kids so everyone knows the meeting place if the stuff hits the fan. Even with the benefits of early warnings on hurricanes and storms, family can get caught away from you. So know what you will do and how to reach each other. Just common sense. If you survived this one, be very grateful. And use the lessons you learned. We want all our CD family to be safe!

Last edited by R_Cowgirl; 11-08-2012 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 11-09-2012, 06:09 AM

240 posts, read 537,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Yay Arizona! Hey gtmo This article says a lot of these people are volunteering as well. See guys? Arizona people aren't so bad! We often send crews out to hurricanes, fires, floods...
Let me start by saying that I fully appreciate that power companies are coming from all over the country. However, that article does not say that they are working for free. The only time that I see volunteer is in the following line "Tom Jeffers, a lineman for nearly seven years at SRP, is a veteran of disaster situations. During his career, he's volunteered to go into communities after Hurricane Charley in 2004 and Hurricane Katrina in 2005, and several others". I'm not sure that it implies that he didn't get paid. It implies that he didn't have to go, but he chose.

I'm sure that the money isn't the first thing on these guys minds. I'm sure that they feel that they have a civic duty to come help. The point of my post was that I don't think that it is CL&Ps job to inform the public of each and every state that sent help. It's CL&Ps job to coordinate the clean up effort. I don't want them wasting time counting states.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:30 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,427,464 times
Has anyone been catching the Sandy documentaries? There was one Friday night on TWC and tonight (right now) PBS is running one and then later I believe the History Channel will have one. I like the one on NOVA the best so far.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:00 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,100,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Has anyone been catching the Sandy documentaries? There was one Friday night on TWC and tonight (right now) PBS is running one and then later I believe the History Channel will have one. I like the one on NOVA the best so far.

I'm sorry I missed them. I'll have to look to see if they're replaying them. Did they mention
Staten Island at all? That's where I live.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:56 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,427,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I'm sorry I missed them. I'll have to look to see if they're replaying them. Did they mention
Staten Island at all? That's where I live.
The NOVA one did if my memory is any good.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:01 AM

11,308 posts, read 18,909,383 times
Wouldn't a Sandy documentary not mentioning Staten Island almost be like a Katrina documentary not mentioning New Orleans? Or if you assume the equivalent of that is the Jersey Shore maybe not mentioning Mississippi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut