Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 07:15 AM

15 posts, read 21,628 times

Advertisements

Let me try a different approach. I am finding this move very hard. We are on a tight budget. I currently have a job, but will have to give it up and look for one in CT. My husband with be working at Yale. We are looking for 2 different options, depending on if my mother decides to come with us.

1. A one bedroom with a price up to $750.
2. A 2-3 (preferrably 3) with a price up to $1100.

I want this to be in a decent neighborhood. I know my choices are limited, but I don't want to be afraid whenever I leave my house. I also want it to be either within walking distance to Yale or have a public transit option that will take less than 45 mins.

Is this at all possible? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 07:19 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I think the university may offer you some help finding housing. Check with them. Your price range is tight but it might be doable. The better areas of New Haven include East Rock, downtown and Westville. All three would be convenient to Yale. Jay

Old 01-03-2013, 07:47 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
JayCT gave you the best neighborhoods/ safest areas in New Haven. East Rock and Westville are more suburban in type with a mix of apartments and single family homes. Downtown, closest to Yale, is obviously
going to be much more built up, but very convenient.

I just did a quick check on Zillow.com ( you can input by neighborhood name ) and really found nothing for a one bedroom $ 750 or under, but did find several options for 2 bedrooms in both East Rock and Westville in your price range. Didn't find anything for a three bedroom. Also didn't find anything in the downtown area.

That doesn't mean any of those don't exist. You can do a much more thorough search on your own and perhaps find some places. Downtown does tend to be very expensive.

You can work with a realtor ( in CT no charge to you, the landlord pays the fee), or check, trulia.com, zillow.com, realtor.com, hotpads,com, etc. or even Craiglsist.

Good luck

Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post

You can work with a realtor ( in CT no charge to you, the landlord pays the fee),

Good luck
Careful...Not necessarilly true... every contract is different. But most have a clause saying that if the property is not listed with a realtor/mls the buyer/lesse is liable for compensation.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 AM

21,760 posts, read 28,094,478 times
I'd add Wooster Square to the best places list, although it won't be cheap. You could also consider Hamden or West Haven if you don't mind the bus. The West Haven train station should be done sometime this year.

Yale should be able to help you find something as well.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:22 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
I would look into East Haven and check out the bus schedule. East Haven is a working class, very safe town.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:37 PM

5 posts, read 10,873 times
Being a post-doc couple you are eligible for Grad housing.
you will find something great i am sure.
you can check on the Graduate Housing section on the Yale website.
good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut