Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 05:55 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,983 times

Advertisements

Why doesn't CT have a "large city?" I'd say crazy parking requirements, mortgage underwriting standards that are not Northeast urban friendly, Robert Moses' legacy (though I think he was trying for the best outcome), a bit of corruption at worst and mismanagement at best (we all know the big names), the teardowns for big projects that never materialized, and ripping up the old trolley lines. I think that most of the bigger cities are on a better path personally: giving up on the function form zoning will make it easier for more downtown and near downtown housing.

I think the cities are going more in a sustainable direction, but it'll take a while. Personally, if I were dictator of CT, I'd try to make a few of the main roads into the CBD's rows about 4-6 stories. That'd increase volume a lot and make the cities seem more inviting.

Also, here in CT we kind of forget how a lot of many Eastern Seaboard Cities are newish: look at the brutalist office towers that were put up late 70's early 80's in Boston, Manhattan, and Philly. Better PR and zoning changes might put a few of the cities in the running regionally and nationally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 06:37 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
But in terms of architectural design, I have to say that on average Stamford's high-rises are much more elegant looking than Hartford's.
Again, I agree with you here too.

CT may not have many "big" cities, but truth be told, they have a LOT of smaller urban areas very near one another that together actually make up a pretty solid consolidated urban agglomeration. It is actually pretty unique within the US in that matter and even in much of the world, there's an area between Tokyo and Yokohama that is like that and a metro area in Germany simply called the "Rhine-Ruhr complex" that is just a lot of mid-size cities that are near each other and kind of "interconnect".

Finally on the Stamford vs. Newark question, if there's any city in NJ to compare it to, I would think (and a big "maybe" at that) Jersey City.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:18 PM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
But in terms of architectural design, I have to say that on average Stamford's high-rises are much more elegant looking than Hartford's.
I do not know that I agree with you on this. Stamford lacks an iconic building like The Travelers Tower or the Pheonix Boat Building. It also does not have structures like Aetna or The Hartford either. Union Station in Hartford is much more interesting than Stamford's Transit Center. And Stamford lacks a large arena like the XL Center. And that is not to mention ay of Hartford's many public buildings like the Capitol, Thye Bushnell, City Hall, The Old State House, the State Library or the State Courthouse. Most of Stamfords buioldings are uninteresting characterless boxes. JMHO, Jay

Old 03-31-2013, 08:24 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
What about Downtown Bridgeport it is tiny

Old 03-31-2013, 10:18 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I do not know that I agree with you on this. Stamford lacks an iconic building like The Travelers Tower or the Pheonix Boat Building. It also does not have structures like Aetna or The Hartford either. Union Station in Hartford is much more interesting than Stamford's Transit Center. And Stamford lacks a large arena like the XL Center. And that is not to mention ay of Hartford's many public buildings like the Capitol, Thye Bushnell, City Hall, The Old State House, the State Library or the State Courthouse. Most of Stamfords buioldings are uninteresting characterless boxes. JMHO, Jay
Stamford is a great city to live in, but I'd agree with this.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:22 PM

490 posts, read 1,098,232 times
It's a New England thing.

Don't try to figure it out.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:35 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Thats the RT , there known for Propaganda/anti-American and stereotypes....thats also the bad section of Newark. Most of the city is seeing an economic boom and there are over 50 projects underway as we speak.... Does Stamford have any festivals that attract over 400,000 people? Newark has a few , along with US's largest cherry blossom collection..... Crime went down last year and primary happens on the Western side of the city and between 12-4am.... There are queit areas of Newark like Downtown , North of 280 and the Ironbound that just see small petty crimes.

Cherry Blossoms in Branch Brook Park, Newark, New Jersey by SheepGuardingLlama, on Flickr

University Center Newark by towerpower123, on Flickr

Baxter Park South by towerpower123, on Flickr

Teachers' Village Newark 01 29 2013 by towerpower123, on Flickr

Newark's Ironbound by towerpower123, on Flickr

Panasonic HQ 02 20 2013 by towerpower123, on Flickr

Downtown Newark on a Crisp November Day by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Downtown Newark on a Crisp November Day by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Our block by cjbvii, on Flickr

Heller Parkway home by cjbvii, on Flickr

Stone Manor by cjbvii, on Flickr

Highland Ave - Forest Hill - Newark,New Jersey by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Elwood Ave - Forest Hill - Newark,New Jersey by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Old 04-01-2013, 07:08 AM

470 posts, read 1,665,679 times
The point I was making with my post is that CT does not have any large cities becasue the area of the city itself is quite small. There are no regional governments in CT so any expansion if a city would exist only within the boarders of that city.

If Hartford wanted to expand the downtown area into West Hartford it would never happend because the town of West Harford would shoot it down right away. Same goes for Bridgeport to Trumbull or New Haven to surrounding towns.

Yes, you do get minimal urbanization of the the immeidate boarders, but it is very limited and not "city-like" at all.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:40 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,170,064 times
Newark: We're better than Camden...

While we are at it Nexis, photos of Stamford neighborhoods, commercial development and waterfront are FAR more impressive.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:11 AM

10,105 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Newark: We're better than Camden...

While we are at it Nexis, photos of Stamford neighborhoods, commercial development and waterfront are FAR more impressive.
You hit the nail on the head. For example:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut