Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:02 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times

Advertisements

It's the only house I found looking from East Haven to Stonington and somewhat inland. Most of your price range + other parameters along the shore is September to June type rents. The couple that weren't were cottage conversions with 1940- 1950- ish interiors and who knows what, if anything, for insulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 01:08 AM

134 posts, read 224,854 times
Ugh. Yeah, the lack of insulation is the kicker. In the Midwest, loads of insulation is pretty much a given - I guess we mistakenly expected it here, as well, due to the legends of the "Nor'Easter" and such.

Thank you for taking the time to look!

Old 01-28-2014, 07:24 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Branford has plenty of sleepy sections. North Branford is just as rural as north Madison. It's very low key off Route 1, which is probably what gave you the wrong impression. I think you would like it.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:54 AM

North Branford? Nope, did not look there - thank you, Stylo!

Old 01-28-2014, 09:05 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Even areas near the coast are quiet and more spread out, like the Stony Creek and Pine Orchard section. It is not a bustling town by any means once you get off Route 1.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:09 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Fiona, how high do you keep your heat? I know that doesn't help with the mold but you may be able to save some money until you move. I have played a lot with my heat settings , use the natural sun and have saved a fortune. Just a thought!

Old 01-28-2014, 05:41 PM

We will check out those two neighbourhoods, Stylo, thank you!

I hear Route 79 North of Madison is also a nice country-like area - any thoughts on that or Essex?

WouldLoveTo, usually between 62-68 during the day, only in the rooms we are in (so basically the living room, which does get some sun (helps a little) and my boyfriend's little office annex room) -- at night, we put all the thermostats to 45-50 except for the bedroom, which we leave at 68 and occasionally 70 because it's uninsulated and freezing at night (68 kinda sorta keeps the actual room temperature around 60.) They are electric baseboard heaters at least each room has its own thermostat.

Even with all that fussing, though, the bill's still ridiculous.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:25 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
I think that you're going to have to either move further away from New Haven to a place like Niantic where you can find a decent rental in a quiet neighborhood in your price range or consider East Haven or West Haven. I have a home in summer home in West Haven and there are some decent neighborhoods in the West Shore area where you can find a nice rental in your price range. The new train station is 5 minutes away with plenty of parking.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:49 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
North of Route 80, gives you a tiny bit of East Haven, the Northford section of North Branford, the northern reaches of Guilford, Madison, & parts of the towns of Killingworth & Deep River. Essex and its villages of Ivoryton & Centerbrook are just south of Route 80.

It's all very nice, very safe, not heavily developed with exception of Route 80 itself through North Branford & East Haven which is mostly commercial. Essex proper is a beautiful area, but it has old money cachet. It's not cheap. You pay for the word " Essex" - lol . Charm comes with price tag. Centerbrook & Ivoryton would be a tiny bit less expensive.

You could look in West Haven & East Haven. However, you're not going to get that country feel or charm you seem to be seeking. These are going to be houses on small lots in areas that are basically heavily developed. You're going to have close neighbors. On the other, you do get proximity to train stations.

You might find something in a beachy area of Old Saybrook or Old Lyme ( there are those converted cottages again on smaller lots ) or East Lyme/Niantic. Although when I was looking yesterday, there was nothing in your price range in those towns that was not a seasonal rental. However, I was not looking at Craigslist so you never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut