Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 04:33 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Bull****

Its actually so vulgar the forum autobot wont even let the word show up.. hows that one? go ahead.. give it a try..
If you're a *** laude graduate.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 04:36 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I realize that if a person had a choice to open their own business either in Connecticiut or on the moon, many people would probably find it more business-friendly in the latter.
I've owned business in growth-mecca Austin and here in Connecticut. The business I have now, here is by far my most successful. Instead of whining about the government-- which I just about never deal with-- I focus on growing my business, which was founded here by choice.

Sorry, 'business friendliness' is just another proxy to complain about taxes and having to give employees basic human dignities-- like the ability to take the day off when ill.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:42 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Please stop bickering and get back to the original topic.

Couldn't resist.
You ****ing *******! Lol..

Sorry.. me neither ..

Old 06-06-2013, 05:19 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I've owned business in growth-mecca Austin and here in Connecticut. The business I have now, here is by far my most successful. Instead of whining about the government-- which I just about never deal with-- I focus on growing my business, which was founded here by choice.

Sorry, 'business friendliness' is just another proxy to complain about taxes and having to give employees basic human dignities-- like the ability to take the day off when ill.
Actually, I wasn't speaking to you. I won't bore you with the detials of what I do on my weekend job, but I can tell you that it's a far cry from what you do and it involves comparatively larger government oversight and taxes that, quite frankly, have gotten in the way. We all work VERY hard to get to where we are and your comments come off as if we're unsucessful and/or lazy, so I really don't appreciate your condecension.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:04 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Default Report: Connecticut has worst economy in nation

A weak real estate market and contracting financial services sector left Connecticut as the only state with a shrinking economy last year.
For the second year in a row, the Bureau of Economic Analysis said Connecticut's gross domestic product, the value of all the goods and services produced here, contracted by 0.1 percent in 2012. Every other state showed growth in 2012 and contributed to a 2.5 percent increase in national GDP.
But even critics of the state's fiscal polices and performance say this is old data and the worst news is behind us. Connecticut is set to grow over the next three years, they say.
"My guess is that when we see these reports for 2013, 2014 and 2015, they will all be positive," said Pete Gioia, vice president and economist with the Connecticut Business and Industry Association. "But we will be in the bottom 10."
Gioia fears the state's taxation policies and high cost of doing business will continue to hold growth back here, while Gov. Dannel P. Malloy, a Democrat, and officials in his administration say the state is feeling the pain that comes from correcting the fiscal mismanagement of the last decade.
According to the report, many states saw their economies lifted by the financial sector, which was weak in Connecticut.
"Finance and insurance increased 3.6 percent in 2012, rebounding from (a drop of) 0.6 percent in 2011," the BEA said. But activity in financial services in Connecticut shrank 0.6 percent in 2012 and the state's economy was further squeezed by real estate, which was down 0.4 percent.
The major bright spot in the report for Connecticut was manufacturing. Durable goods manufacturing activity expanded 0.5 percent last year.
There are economic trends affecting the state's economy, Gioia said. The state's export market is heavily geared to Europe and that region of the world is struggling. But Connecticut companies are expanding into other markets around the globe so that will be less of a factor as time goes by, he said. He also said the real estate market is on the mend after a tough 2012.
But the government hasn't helped things, he said.
"It's been exacerbated in the last three years after having the largest tax increase in history," Gioia said.
Two years ago, the state raised taxes by $1.5 billion, and even though lawmakers did not technically pass any bills to raise taxes, they did allow a scheduled increase in the gas tax to be levied and did not extend some tax breaks. Gioia said this makes an expensive state, more expensive.
This is hurting the state's business climate, he added.
CBIA's quarterly economic survey found that only 17 percent of business leaders expect the state's economy to improve. But Gioia said business people are actually more positive than they were a year ago.
"The hiring numbers are the best we've had in three quarters," he said, with the survey showing that 24 percent of companies would add employees in the second quarter.
The state's top economic development official agreed with Gioia, growth is on the way, but she questioned the accuracy of the BEA data.
"These numbers are really head scratchers," said Catherine Smith, commissioner of the Department of Economic and Community Development. "Doesn't ring true for our economy."
The BEA revised its estimates for GDP growth for previous years, dropping Connecticut's growth rate from a positive 2.2 percent in 2011 to a contraction of 0.1 percent.
Smith said it was a disappointing report, but the state has momentum in its economy.
Connecticut added 6,300 jobs in April, according to its most recent employment report. She said commercial real estate, which has been flat for the last year, is improving and that will further aid growth. The state has also supported a number of business expansions, including Jackson Labs, that will start to show up in the numbers soon.
And the BEA report did demonstrate the state's strength in manufacturing, information technologies and digital media and consulting, all of which showed growth.
"I am very optimistic where things are heading," she said.
Gov. Malloy defended his policies Thursday.
In a recording from a press conference, Malloy said the BEA report reflected some of the difficult things he's had to do to address the state's financial shortcomings.
In particular, he pointed to the decrease in the size of government under his administration.
"Connecticut has shrunk the size of its government faster than any other state," he said.
The BEA said that the government's contribution to GDP in Connecticut shrank 0.25 percent in 2012.
Malloy also said the state has added 26,000 new jobs in the last two years; "The fastest increase since the 1990s."
Some of the problems are larger economic issues, the governor said. Like Gioia, he mentioned Europe's troubles.
Ultimately, he said the state is still dealing with long-term pension funding problems and getting its financial house in order and that's a difficult task, but that's what his policies are aimed at doing.
"I was hired to turn this thing around," Malloy said.
Danbury Mayor Mark Boughton and Greenwich First Selectman, both Republicans, didn't return calls requesting comment.

Report: Connecticut has worst economy in nation - Connecticut Post

Old 06-06-2013, 09:48 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
CT GDP is not growing

Old 06-07-2013, 07:12 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
CT GDP is not growing
During the recession, Connecticut GDP did not get hit as much as other states so of course it is not growing as much as other states. It does not have to gain as much to get back to normal conditions. Jay

Old 06-07-2013, 08:17 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Hey I am human too you know. If you think I do not want to rant on about some of the things said here, you are sadly mistaken. There are times I write a long and nasty reply to someone but then my Moderator side kicks in and I force myself to delete it. Oh well, it is part of the job (wait, I don't get paid for doing this so I guess it is not a job). Jay
lol, you crack me up Jay. So true.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:19 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,170,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
During the recession, Connecticut GDP did not get hit as much as other states so of course it is not growing as much as other states. It does not have to gain as much to get back to normal conditions. Jay
Just plain false Jay. CT had two calendar years of negative growth during 2008-2009; similar in scope to the country at large (2008 was worse for CT). Since 2009, we have lagged the country at large as well as our fat tax neighbors NY & NJ. Very disappointing.

Connecticut's Economy Falls Behind That of Remainder of U.S. - WSJ.com

Old 06-07-2013, 08:25 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Actually, I wasn't speaking to you.
Next time please be clear about who you're talking to and whether or not I have your blessing to express my opinion.

Quote:
I won't bore you with the detials of what I do on my weekend job, but I can tell you that it's a far cry from what you do and it involves comparatively larger government oversight and taxes that, quite frankly, have gotten in the way.
I'd be curious to know what it is you do... A lot of areas do require additional regulation. I prefer my dentist to be licensed and all...

Quote:
We all work VERY hard to get to where we are and your comments come off as if we're unsucessful and/or lazy, so I really don't appreciate your condecension.
I can't imagine what you read in to my comments that gave you the idea that I think any is unsuccessful or lazy. What I said was that "business unfriendlieness" is a silly euphemism for higher taxes... and I was comparing my experience in Austin to here.

If you feel condescended to, I apologize... It certainly was not my intent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut