Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 01:14 PM

267 posts, read 448,071 times

Advertisements

I posted this on the general US forum on a thread which was talking about pronunciations and regional word usages.

Connecticutisms(I'm coining that one)-

Route(as in a numbered road)-root
Route(as in a football wide receivers running pattern)-rowt
Sneakers are always sneakers.. Never heard of tennis shoes.
Milk- melk
Carmel- Care-Mel
Carmel, NY- car-mul
Mozzarella-mutz-a-rell or mootz-a-dell(italian decent)
SODA
We have French Crullers at our Dunkin Donuts'. Do you?
I have a basement, grandma has a cellar.
I say ant for aunt but eastern new englanders use awnt(which is probably more proper)
Subs and Grinders are equally understood. EVERYONE living in CT knows what a grinder is.
New York accents are more common than Boston accents and we sorta have our own that's somewhere in between.
Tag Sale=yard sale/garage sale, etc.
My dresser has "draws"(drawers) with "drawers"(slang for pants) in them.
Sandal is still the preferred term for all open toed shoes
CRAYFISH
Loy-eh
Pee-CAN
Rotary=traffic circle
Almost any noun has an opportunity to get the abbreviation treatment around here.
I ALWAYS SAY "YOU GUYS" when addressing a group of people.
Volatile, futile, etc end in -tul not -tile.
Packy=liquor(package) store
Sear-up and sir-up are heard equally
A bike is a bicycle or a motorcycle
Coo-pon
new-HAVEN
We know what steamed cheeseburgers are and which restaurants serve the best ones.
Cakes have frosting on them. Icing is the stuff they use for the lettering.
Darien, CT- Dairy-Ann
Ledyard, CT- led-yerd
Worcestershire sauce- wuss-ter-sheer
We speak quickly, use "big" words, debate/discuss the same topics in a serious and analytical manner for hours, and are immensely sarcastic.

Last edited by CLees; 06-15-2013 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 01:39 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLees View Post
I posted this on the general US forum on a thread which was talking about pronunciations and regional word usages.

Connecticutisms(I'm coining that one)-

Route(as in a numbered road)-root in Chicago, rout
Route(as in a football wide receivers running pattern)-rowt
Sneakers are always sneakers.. Never heard of tennis shoes.
Milk- melk
Carmel- Care-Mel
Carmel, NY- car-mul
Mozzarella-mutz-a-rell or mootz-a-dell(italian decent)
SODA
We have French Crullers at our Dunkin Donuts'. Do you?
I have a basement, grandma has a cellar.
I say ant for aunt but eastern new englanders use awnt(which is probably more proper)otherwise it sounds like the insect
Subs and Grinders are equally understood. EVERYONE living in CT knows what a grinder is.
New York accents are more common than Boston accents and we sorta have our own that's somewhere in between.
My dresser has "draws"(drawers) with "drawers"(slang for pants) in them.in Chicago, only underpants
Sandal is still the preferred term for all open toed shoes
CRAYFISH
Loy-eh
Pee-CAN
Rotary=traffic circlewe call them roundabouts
Almost any noun has an opportunity to get the abbreviation treatment around here.
I ALWAYS SAY "YOU GUYS" when addressing a group of people.
Volatile, futile, etc end in -tul not -tile.
Packy=liquor(package) store
Sear-up and sir-up are heard equally
A bike is a bicycle or a motorcycle
Coo-ponnot Q-pon?
new-HAVEN
We know what steamed cheeseburgers are and which restaurants serve the best ones.you mean White Castle?
Cakes have frosting on them. Icing is the stuff they use for the lettering.
Darien, CT- Dairy-Ann
Ledyard, CT- led-yerd
Worcestershire sauce- wuss-ter-sheer
We speak quickly, use "big" words, debate/discuss the same topics in a serious and analytical manner for hours, and are immensely sarcastic.
My comments in bold.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:46 PM

Cellar and Rotary are new england exclusives according to the accent maps on the Gen US forum. Rout is common throughout the US except a few regions. I say "underwear", pants and "jeans" but if I say draws for pants(usually as a joke only) it comes out "drawers". Steamed cheeseburgers are highly regional cuisine.. Look up Ted's Steamed Cheeseburgers in Meriden. We tend to avoid "q-pon" though I have heard it occasionally.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:53 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
I've lived here all my life and don't pronounce half of those that way.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I've lived here all my life and don't pronounce half of those that way.
Perhaps CT has regional variations within the state due to its location between 2 areas of unique accents and word usages.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:01 PM

Another thing is that I'm not well versed in proper phonetic spelling(dictionary style) so many of my "examples" could be read in several different ways.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:08 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLees View Post
Perhaps CT has regional variations within the state due to its location between 2 areas of unique accents and word usages.
I grew up in northern Fairfield County and have barely any regional accent and minimal regional pronunciations. A drawer is prounced drawer. My NY-native girlfriend says draw.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I grew up in northern Fairfield County and have barely any regional accent and minimal regional pronunciations. A drawer is prounced drawer. My NY-native girlfriend says draw.
Is your family "old-stock" and white collar? I feel as though I picked up some of this from the NY Influence in my area.

Last edited by CLees; 06-15-2013 at 02:26 PM..

Old 06-15-2013, 03:17 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
I say drawers and "ont" and milk... but otherwise, I think most of that applies. I will say that Connecticut natives don't tend to have an accent. You do hear Joisey and New Yawk and Bahston accents sometimes, but those are from people who are from New Jersey or New York or Massachusetts. I grew up in Meriden and then moved to Naugatuck when I got married. I live in Florida now and hear all sorts of accents. While most Floridians can pick out those from the northeast, I think that Connecticut is an exception. No one knows where I'm from just from hearing me speak. (Unless I say grinder or tag sale, which I occasionally do, LOL)

Old 06-15-2013, 03:35 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times
Typically subs are cold and grinders are hot, although I've heard it both ways. And it's a wedge if you're in lower FFC.

It's more like N'Haven for natives. And 'Staven for East Haven. And how one pronounces Wolcott is a dead giveaway.

Coffee regular = cream and sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut