Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 06:06 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,313,170 times

Advertisements

After looking at this page you start to realize how much trouble were in

Old 03-23-2015, 06:10 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExplorer View Post
After looking at this page you start to realize how much trouble were in
It's not all bad. There are companies expanding here or being lured here. CT is a great place to raise a family but it is getting more and more expesive. Not a bad thing, it's our thing.

http://www1.ctdol.state.ct.us/lmi/bu...entChanges.pdf

Check out the above link that shows what businesses plan to or have hired.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:54 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,313,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
It's not all bad. There are companies expanding here or being lured here. CT is a great place to raise a family but it is getting more and more expesive. Not a bad thing, it's our thing.

http://www1.ctdol.state.ct.us/lmi/bu...entChanges.pdf

Check out the above link that shows what businesses plan to or have hired.
I think it just has high negativity because of everything being released that CT is the worst place to do this or worst place to do that. Not only is it the media but the individuals who live here see it as a bad place because of bad governance. You have to agree with me that Connecticut has had bad governance over the years, but everyone seems to put all the pressure and blame on Malloy. It wasnt his fault that we suffered from the recession. It was a series of unfortunate events. People want someone to blame something rather than blame to state we live so we blame it all on Malloy. Yes, he had some bumps. I can understand that it can be frustrating. I, myself found it frustrating when he didnt promise the tax rebates. As much as i hate Malloy, its not all his fault. Its the general assembly, the legislatures, and as i previously mentioned it was decades of bad governance. I felt like previous governors put all the burden on Malloy though. Just think about it. Ill use an example. Rowland and Rell dodged the fact that we needed to fix our transportation system. They did nothing with the Hartford viaduct and the Waterbury mixmaster, so Malloy got the end of the straw. He's very reactive not proactive and thats not what alot of people like coming out of a person when were still not fully recovered from pre-recession. Correct me if im wrong, but are we the only Northeastern state that has not fully recovered from pre-recession levels? I know that our unemployment rate has lowered significantly since but its some progress.

Anyway i agree that CT is a great place to raise a family but its becoming harder and harder to do so since more and more people have less money in their pocket. The taxes are higher because the wages are higher than the national average. The government doesn't want to risk and cut important spending especially education. So the only real option is to raise taxes. Though Malloy "promised to not raise taxes". CT's debt issue is becoming more and more an issue and people are sick of the states actions to fix it. I find it funny how some people say "stop spending" when we need to spend money to get by. The state is losing money in so many different fields and there are not many options yet the people who live here have lack of knowledge about politics. Everyone relies on the media to tell them everything. People believe anything these days because there aren't many resources to find the answers.

For people who had the time to read this id like a response. I can take disagreements or other opinions once in awhile.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:48 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Tax hikes discussed at state capitol | WTNH

Old 03-24-2015, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
I also read, but this is WAYYYY out there and will never pass. The idea to let each town charge a small tax (http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/03/...-on-the-table/) on top of the sales tax. The small tax will just go towards the town.

That idea will never see the light of day....hopefully

Old 03-24-2015, 06:12 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
I find it very telling that this thread is titled "Economic Climate in CT" while taxes, and "GTFO of CT" dominate the discussion here.

Instead, why aren't we talking about economic development, infrastructure projects, small business expansion, from one small shop to opening another shop, banks moving their operations here, insurance companies coming back.

Again, we talk about things we shouldn't talk, and we don't talk about things we should.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
I find it very telling that this thread is titled "Economic Climate in CT" while taxes, and "GTFO of CT" dominate the discussion here.

Instead, why aren't we talking about economic development, infrastructure projects, small business expansion, from one small shop to opening another shop, banks moving their operations here, insurance companies coming back.

Again, we talk about things we shouldn't talk, and we don't talk about things we should.

I included a link above that shows expansion of businesses with business names and # of jobs created. I think that taxes dominate the talk because we are in session.

BTW, I love CT and will probably be here my whole life. I don't like surprises so when I see headlines that I think will have implications to me I read them. It's like chess, I want to be (or at least try to be) 1 step ahead.

I think the whole system should be included in the economy topic. Businesses, to taxes, to jobs, to home sales to employment numbers.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:19 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
The one thing people fail to appreciate about Connecticut is that while we are an expensive state to live in, we also have a high income to compensate for that. You can move to a low cost area but what are the real opportunities for a person there? I know people who have done this (reconnecting recently with an old family friend) because they were fed up with the high costs of things but when they moved to a low cost area down south, they were unable to find full time employment with benefits. Duh! You should have lined up that job before just quitting you good job here. We can complain all you want about the taxes and cost of living here but in reality, people struggle all over this country for various reasons. Jay

Old 03-24-2015, 07:50 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The one thing people fail to appreciate about Connecticut is that while we are an expensive state to live in, we also have a high income to compensate for that. You can move to a low cost area but what are the real opportunities for a person there?
In my case, same salary and benefits.

Quote:
I know people who have done this (reconnecting recently with an old family friend) because they were fed up with the high costs of things but when they moved to a low cost area down south, they were unable to find full time employment with benefits. Duh! You should have lined up that job before just quitting you good job here.
Can't imagine doing that (without some kind of serious family or health impetus). I have never moved without a job in hand.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:54 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Here is a company that has added about 75 people to its Connecticut workforce in the past 4 years but has actually had a drop in overall employees over the past year. I don't know the company but thought it would be of interest to some. Jay

Affinion maintains Stamford workforce despite sales drop - Connecticut Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut