Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 09:17 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times

Advertisements

Also noted in the article is that they are moving their HQ to Farmington. That's a blow to Hartford. But don't worry, they're gonna build a stadium that will fix everything.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:25 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
The Sikorsky news is horrible. In all likelihood, a much smaller footprint in Ct by Sikorsky would be the best possible outcome.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:25 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Also noted in the article is that they are moving their HQ to Farmington. That's a blow to Hartford. But don't worry, they're gonna build a stadium that will fix everything.
I saw that as well. I wonder how many people they employ in the Hartford office? Taking any number of high paying jobs out of Hartford hurts. More seats on the bus for the normal worker bees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The Sikorsky news is horrible. In all likelihood, a much smaller footprint in Ct by Sikorsky would be the best possible outcome.
That's the best outcome. The buyers will move production to another State in a heartbeat. If 100 jobs were left in CT that is too much. I know that other companies owned by UTC have moved down south. Otis moved a lot of jobs down to Palm Beach and South Carolina. My friend and his family who work for UTC all moved down south his past year. My next guess on departures is ESPN. Local news has it they are not happy.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:25 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Articles in the Hartford Business Journal and the Hartford Courant are less definitive on the future of Sikorsky remaining part of UTC as are other sources I have read. I find it odd that the CEO made a comment about Sikorsky not being a part of their core business. Almost since its founding, UTC was a major government defense contractor which is what Sikorsky does and does well. The company's original name was United Aircraft. It is only in more recent years that they got into building systems. What he really is saying is that they as a typical major corporation do not see any long term growth in helicopters and to make a few pennies we want to get away from our core business. We will see. Jay

UTC may spin off Sikorsky | HartfordBusiness.com

UTC Considering Sale Or Spin-Off Of Sikorsky - Hartford Courant

Old 03-12-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Guess $400m doesn't buy loyalty. Called it.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/united...231350633.html

By to a major CT employer.
By the $400 million reference, I am assuming you are talking about the deal Connecticut made to keep Pratt & Whitney in East Hartford. This is totally separate. Look to see a similar deal for Sikorsky as well whether they decide to sell it or not. Jay

Old 03-12-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I saw that as well. I wonder how many people they employ in the Hartford office? Taking any number of high paying jobs out of Hartford hurts. More seats on the bus for the normal worker bees.

That's the best outcome. The buyers will move production to another State in a heartbeat. If 100 jobs were left in CT that is too much. I know that other companies owned by UTC have moved down south. Otis moved a lot of jobs down to Palm Beach and South Carolina. My friend and his family who work for UTC all moved down south his past year. My next guess on departures is ESPN. Local news has it they are not happy.
I believe the corporate headquarters has a couple of hundred people downtown. They decided to move to Farmington because the CEO lives in the Farmington Valley and it will shorten his commute. This is kind of odd since there has been a shift in recent years for companies to move back into the city. Jay

Old 03-12-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
By the $400 million reference, I am assuming you are talking about the deal Connecticut made to keep Pratt & Whitney in East Hartford. This is totally separate. Look to see a similar deal for Sikorsky as well whether they decide to sell it or not. Jay
I thought part of the deal was to keep Sikorsky in CT for AT LEAST 5 years.

"If so, UTC would be required – starting later this year and running through 2018 – to invest a total of $500 million in four projects:
  • A new, 425,000-square-foot world headquarters and engineering facility on the Pratt campus in East Hartford;
  • 100,000 square feet of new and refurbished lab and office space at the United Technologies Research Center in East Hartford;
  • A new, 500,000-square-foot customer training center and engineering lab at the UTC Aerospace Systems facility in Windsor Locks;
  • And, upgrades to the advanced engineering lab and other facilities at Sikorsky.
The company must maintain its Pratt headquarters in East Hartford for 15 more years and its Sikorsky headquarters in Stratford for another five." (House OKs $400M tax break for UTC expansion | The CT Mirror)

Quote:
I believe the corporate headquarters has a couple of hundred people downtown. They decided to move to Farmington because the CEO lives in the Farmington Valley and it will shorten his commute. This is kind of odd since there has been a shift in recent years for companies to move back into the city. Jay
I agree, I thought they just resigned a lease and added SF to the existing Hartford Office. Something fishy is going on. Must be nice to be the CEO. lol

Old 03-12-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I thought part of the deal was to keep Sikorsky in CT for AT LEAST 5 years.

"If so, UTC would be required – starting later this year and running through 2018 – to invest a total of $500 million in four projects:
  • A new, 425,000-square-foot world headquarters and engineering facility on the Pratt campus in East Hartford;
  • 100,000 square feet of new and refurbished lab and office space at the United Technologies Research Center in East Hartford;
  • A new, 500,000-square-foot customer training center and engineering lab at the UTC Aerospace Systems facility in Windsor Locks;
  • And, upgrades to the advanced engineering lab and other facilities at Sikorsky.
The company must maintain its Pratt headquarters in East Hartford for 15 more years and its Sikorsky headquarters in Stratford for another five." (House OKs $400M tax break for UTC expansion | The CT Mirror)

I agree, I thought they just resigned a lease and added SF to the existing Hartford Office. Something fishy is going on. Must be nice to be the CEO. lol
You jogged my memory. Note that they committed to only 5 years for Sikorsky. It will take them that long to evaluate a sale, find a buyer and then complete the sale.

I know that UTC has been shrinking its presence in the Gold Building and increasing its space in Farmington. Here is an article from Hartford Business Journal on the fact that Travelers is now the largest tenant in the building. Jay

Travelers close to being Gold's No. 1 occupant | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 03-12-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
You jogged my memory. Note that they committed to only 5 years for Sikorsky. It will take them that long to evaluate a sale, find a buyer and then complete the sale.

I know that UTC has been shrinking its presence in the Gold Building and increasing its space in Farmington. Here is an article from Hartford Business Journal on the fact that Travelers is now the largest tenant in the building. Jay

Travelers close to being Gold's No. 1 occupant | HartfordBusiness.com
Good point. Let's hope at the end of the sale they still keep a presence here (which they will).

Thanks the for article.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:08 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
It was telling UTC offered the shortest guarantee for Sikorsky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut